User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2009, 05:00 PM   #1591
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,532
Bought a new SM R and I have a few questions

I recently purchased a new 2007 Super Moto R. From what I've read in this thread and in another about the Super Enduro, the sub frame, gas tank, seat etc are identical on the SMR and the SE. Based on that does anyone have a recommendation for panier mounts? I intend to use one of CJRacers racks and I plan to use soft luggage.

Second question: I am going to have to lower the bike. I bought a lower seat (Corbin) and it might have dropped the seat height 1/2", but no more and I need at least another inch. I did some racing 35 years ago and with what we had then, a bike could be lowered to some extent without drastically effecting the handling but the suspension systems and frame geometry available now are worlds apart from what we had. Has anyone here lowered a Super Moto? How much? I am assuming that both front and rear were lowered an equal ammount? Any help, even theories or WAG's, would be appreciated.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #1592
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry
I'm looking to add an accessory outlet too as my GPS is wired into the ACC1 (or maybe it's ACC2) plugs in the headlight harness. I also need a second outlet for powering my helmet cam. I think I am going to buy one from Powerlet, drill a hole in the headlight plastic somewhere and be done with it.
How did you tie into the acc1/2 circuits?

The book says there are plugs behind the headlight mask but I couldn't find them.

I wired my 12v Garmin wire right to the battery. It has it's own inline fuse.
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:33 PM   #1593
Maineroads
Ridgerunner

Oddometer: 831
Lift up the speedo, undo the screws, pull the mask/headlight forward and the wiring harness there has both wires marked acc1 and 2.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:50 PM   #1594
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineroads
Lift up the speedo, undo the screws, pull the mask/headlight forward and the wiring harness there has both wires marked acc1 and 2.
Doh!

Guess I didn't look hard enough ;D
Old 05-11-2009, 06:53 PM   #1595
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by 900rider
How did you tie into the acc1/2 circuits?

The book says there are plugs behind the headlight mask but I couldn't find them.

I wired my 12v Garmin wire right to the battery. It has it's own inline fuse.
ACC1 and ACC2 are in there. Two bolts take off the whole speedo/headlight assembly. Look around in there. They are 1/4" spade connectors inside plastic covers. One is switched, the other is always live. I simply crimped a couple spade connectors onto the GPS power wires, plugged them in and was good to go.

Problem is, I use the GPS on two different bikes, so it'd be nice to have an easy quick-disconnect for it and the helmet cam.
Garry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:55 PM   #1596
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry
ACC1 and ACC2 are in there. Two bolts take off the whole speedo/headlight assembly. Look around in there. They are 1/4" spade connectors inside plastic covers. One is switched, the other is always live. I simply crimped a couple spade connectors onto the GPS power wires, plugged them in and was good to go.

Problem is, I use the GPS on two different bikes, so it'd be nice to have an easy quick-disconnect for it and the helmet cam.
I put a 2 pin weather-pac connector on mine for just such an occasion
Old 05-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #1597
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6
I recently purchased a new 2007 Super Moto R. From what I've read in this thread and in another about the Super Enduro, the sub frame, gas tank, seat etc are identical on the SMR and the SE. Based on that does anyone have a recommendation for panier mounts? I intend to use one of CJRacers racks and I plan to use soft luggage.

Second question: I am going to have to lower the bike. I bought a lower seat (Corbin) and it might have dropped the seat height 1/2", but no more and I need at least another inch. I did some racing 35 years ago and with what we had then, a bike could be lowered to some extent without drastically effecting the handling but the suspension systems and frame geometry available now are worlds apart from what we had. Has anyone here lowered a Super Moto? How much? I am assuming that both front and rear were lowered an equal ammount? Any help, even theories or WAG's, would be appreciated.
One of the guys on here suggested these racks:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/3742/656/

As far as lowering goes I'd suggest checking with these folks:

http://www.superplushsuspension.com/a-techclickers.htm

James Siddall lowers and raises 950/990 adv and 950SE's should be able to help. Also Aeronaut on here had his SM forks redone buy them and seems pretty happy.

Good luck and welcome! Great choice on the SMR!
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:02 PM   #1598
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Thanks natty!

USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
Old 05-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #1599
aeronaut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyMo
One of the guys on here suggested these racks:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/3742/656/

As far as lowering goes I'd suggest checking with these folks:

http://www.superplushsuspension.com/a-techclickers.htm

James Siddall lowers and raises 950/990 adv and 950SE's should be able to help. Also Aeronaut on here had his SM forks redone buy them and seems pretty happy.

Good luck and welcome! Great choice on the SMR!
I'm pretty happy with the forks. FYI, I sent them back to James for additional tuning, and he charged me ZERO...good customer service. The rear shock is now the weak link in my suspension, it feels quite harsh compared to the forks. I'm still tweaking the settings, I need to find the perfect curve, with the perfect bumps, on a perfect day. :) Before I say the forks are GREAT, I need to nail the settings, and I'm not sure I'll be able to get the bike setup as nice as I'd like w/o getting the rear shock revalved. Bummer.
aeronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #1600
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Thanks Aeronaut. I take it you only had the forks done and not the shock?

USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
Old 05-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #1601
aeronaut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6
Thanks Aeronaut. I take it you only had the forks done and not the shock?
Correct. For me, the stock forks sucked. They no longer suck. Now the shock sucks.
aeronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #1602
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut
Correct. For me, the stock forks sucked. They no longer suck. Now the shock sucks.
What didn't you like about the forks?
Old 05-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #1603
MotoSteve
Functioning Motard

Oddometer: 363
From the horses mouth...

I read this article today written by RK racing chains.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...21#post4992421

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammemares
I will research this also.

I have a 950 SMR. This is my first non shaft bike in 20 years. Have no clue how to take care of a chain these days. I have done some asking around and the responses seem similar to the oil question.

So on the standard O ring chain, how often and how do you clean the chain and how often and how do you lube it?

Some say wipe it down with WD40 and do no more, others say use this special non fling Bel ray product, yet other say do nothing it is internally lubricated. (OK what about sprocket wear then?)

Help a brother out. How do we take care of these big twin chains. BTW, no off road for my SMR.

Thank you.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:21 AM   #1604
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by 900rider
What didn't you like about the forks?
Post #1454:

[quote=aeronaut]Agreed, FAR too much high-speed compression (HSC) damping in the front forks. FYI, the compression adj screw does little to change the HSC, only low-speed. The only fix is re-valve. I sent mine to James at Superplush, but on return there was still too much HSC. Although MUCH better. I've sent them back for yet more reduction in HSC damping.

I don't think there's a way to hide the excessive HSC damping on the stock forks. Bump steer from too much HSC damping is impossible to mask.

Hope that helps you 900
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #1605
iammemares
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Chain maintenance

Thanks Motosteve.

I was heading down that path anyway. Over the weekend I purchased a Motorex chain cleaner product and some super clean bel ray chain lube that is compatable with Oring chains. I was actually quite surprised at how relatively easy and clean everyhting was / is. Even the Bel Ray lube is a rather dry white lubricant, a little sticky, but not oily and has no fling. After 30 mintues it was no longer tacky, just white. Indeed chains and lubes have come a long ways since my motocross days.

Certainly people have their choice, but for me, being from a mechanical background, I have a concern about two dirty and un-lubricated metal surfaces rubbing together and then expecting that to be durable and robust. I think I will clean and lubricate.

I am still trying to come up with a robust and easy method to ensure the rear wheel is not misaligned.

I appreciate the article. Thank you.
iammemares is offline   Reply With Quote