Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2009, 08:10 PM   #1606
MotoSteve
Functioning Motard

Oddometer: 363
I need to start cleaning my chain before lubricating. I did it all the time when I rode bicycles. How do you like the Motorex product. Is it a spray and wipe, or some other system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammemares
Thanks Motosteve.

I was heading down that path anyway. Over the weekend I purchased a Motorex chain cleaner product and some super clean bel ray chain lube that is compatable with Oring chains. I was actually quite surprised at how relatively easy and clean everyhting was / is. Even the Bel Ray lube is a rather dry white lubricant, a little sticky, but not oily and has no fling. After 30 mintues it was no longer tacky, just white. Indeed chains and lubes have come a long ways since my motocross days.

Certainly people have their choice, but for me, being from a mechanical background, I have a concern about two dirty and un-lubricated metal surfaces rubbing together and then expecting that to be durable and robust. I think I will clean and lubricate.

I am still trying to come up with a robust and easy method to ensure the rear wheel is not misaligned.

I appreciate the article. Thank you.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:27 PM   #1607
aeronaut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
[quote=nattyMo]Post #1454:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut
Agreed, FAR too much high-speed compression (HSC) damping in the front forks. FYI, the compression adj screw does little to change the HSC, only low-speed. The only fix is re-valve. I sent mine to James at Superplush, but on return there was still too much HSC. Although MUCH better. I've sent them back for yet more reduction in HSC damping.

I don't think there's a way to hide the excessive HSC damping on the stock forks. Bump steer from too much HSC damping is impossible to mask.

Hope that helps you 900
Bingo.
aeronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:39 PM   #1608
iammemares
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
I need to start cleaning my chain before lubricating. I did it all the time when I rode bicycles. How do you like the Motorex product. Is it a spray and wipe, or some other system?

I used a aresol can of Motorex cleaner # 611 I think It worked quite well. Spray on and wipe off. I did it twice and it came clean easily.

Seat went to Rick Mayer Cycle today. Woohoo. Now i will never want to get off this bike.
iammemares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:58 AM   #1609
doctor_big
It hurts when I fall down

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammemares
The Tirox brush and cleaner work better than anything else I've tried. The spray and wipe solution only addresses the outside of the chain. The Tirox brush gets right into the crevices. It's also really quick and easy.

Jason

http://www.tirox.ca/brush-and-cleaner.html
doctor_big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:10 AM   #1610
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyMo
I just went ahead and ordered the Emig damper for my SMR. Should have it by Friday and installed with the new tires scrubbed by Sunday, if all goes well.

I'll report back first hand on the damper vs. no damper next week. Provided it stops raining and I can get the new tires scrubbed in...

Props to Emig, super to deal with.
For those of you waiting to hear more on this...

The Emig clamp and damper showed up on time but I ran into some trouble with the install.

Turns out my SMR has a different clamp offset then other SMR's and SM's. The clamp I ordered from Emig was the stock SM 30mm offset. They have worked on other SMR's, Emig was kind enough to provide some photos showing SMR's with the top clamp installed. My offset is closer to 27mm thus the 30mm clamp won't fit. I was faced with two choices, either they would build a clamp to mach my stock 27mm +/- top clamp or I could order their matching 30mm offset lower clamp. I decided on the second choice and I'm waiting for the lower clamp kit to arrive.

I must say Emig has been exceptional in dealing with the few issues I've had. I give them top marks in response to my queries and in providing a quick workable solution.
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:13 PM   #1611
iammemares
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
??????

Natty, why is the offset on your bike different?
iammemares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:59 PM   #1612
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

I can only guess. No firm answer. KTM could have made a running change or their clamp supplier could have messed up. Who knows??? Everyone I've spoken with thinks it's odd but not unheard of.

I'm sending my stock clamps to Emig to be used as a pattern so they'll have a copy of that offset on hand along with the 30mm offset.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:27 PM   #1613
Just Bob
Been There Done That

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6
Has anyone here lowered a Super Moto? How much? I am assuming that both front and rear were lowered an equal amount?
You'd think so, but no. I lowered mine ( about 1/2") equally front and back to start but it messed up the geometry. I needed to raise the rear back by about half to get it right. I'm assuming because the shock is softer initially than the forks. Plus I prefer more weight on the front. A bit twitchier on the bars but no problem. This lets me get my 29" inseam tip toes on the ground. All you really need.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:17 AM   #1614
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,334
Thanks Bob. Sunday project. I have a 29" inseam too and the only place it becomes a problem is in leaving and getting back to my cabin. Rough ground to and from my shop makes for some exciting times!

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:23 AM   #1615
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Wind screen question

I've seen several photos in this thread of bikes with short wind screens. In one, part number 75008065044 was mentioned but when I look for that at several internet sites it shors a completely different screen. Is there another part I should be looking for? After reading several threads I believe I should be looking for a screen with a reverse curl at the top. Or is there an even better choice? 150 miles on I66 & 81 the other day had me longing for something to get some of the wind off of my chest.

USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
Old 05-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #1616
Pewpew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
rev counter

i like the datatool revlight (http://www.datatool.co.uk/consumer/p...oduct=revlight) but i cant find it anywhere online. Can anyone help me or suggest something familiar???
Pewpew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #1617
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I've seen several photos in this thread of bikes with short wind screens. In one, part number 75008065044 was mentioned but when I look for that at several internet sites it shors a completely different screen. Is there another part I should be looking for? After reading several threads I believe I should be looking for a screen with a reverse curl at the top. Or is there an even better choice? 150 miles on I66 & 81 the other day had me longing for something to get some of the wind off of my chest.

I have the 75008065044 690 screen on mine. Works well.

Some have also used the pretender screen. It looks a bit better but I'm not sure it blocks as much wind.

Here's a orange crush thread on the subject.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=373467

nattyMo screwed with this post 05-18-2009 at 01:29 PM
Old 05-15-2009, 02:40 PM   #1618
tahoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Windscreen

Quote:

I have the 'Pretender' short screen and all it does, for me anyway, is make a bunch of noise. It's for sale if anyone's interested

Based on some discussions here I bought the 690 screen (http://www.ktmtwins.com/690supermoto/75008065044.html). It works great on the highway, blocks a ton of wind and is relatively quiet. (Although I still prefer the bike naked except on long trips.)

There's a sweet one on the new 990SM-T, but not sure if you can get it as an accessory in the states.

2004 Moto Guzzi California EVII
tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:01 PM   #1619
tahoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Seat height

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bob
You'd think so, but no. I lowered mine ( about 1/2") equally front and back to start but it messed up the geometry. I needed to raise the rear back by about half to get it right. I'm assuming because the shock is softer initially than the forks. Plus I prefer more weight on the front. A bit twitchier on the bars but no problem. This lets me get my 29" inseam tip toes on the ground. All you really need.
As much as I try to ignore this issue it continues to annoy me. Forget all about it once I'm heading on down the road, but getting on and off the bike, especially loaded with luggage, in a gravel lot, or on any sort of incline is always a source of stress. 20 years and never dropped a bike in a parking lot until I got the SM. Luckily I had all my buddies there to offer their sympathy.

Thought a Renazco would solve my problems -- but for some reason it seemed to make it taller. My inseam is 30". Seat height with the Renazco is 34.5" at the lowest point, on the kick stand. Would be a bit taller standing straight up I assume.

I'm now considering a Corbin but would love to have something to compare to. Would anyone with a Corbin mind measuring their seat height for me? A stocker and another Renazco would be great, too for comparison.

My suspension setup is damn near perfect. I've never wanted to mess with it, but may have to follow Bob's suggestion.

Just an inch would be nice!!!!
2004 Moto Guzzi California EVII
tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:16 PM   #1620
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

natty, tahoe, thanks re the wind screen.

Tahoe. I bought a Corbin. It was supposed to lower the seat .7" but it feels the same as the stock seat - i.e., I'm still on the tips of my toes.

I away tomorrow but I can measure it on Sunday and get back to you.

USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67