Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2009, 05:54 PM   #1696
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusion39
Anyone try to fit a 160 rear on their 950 SM? Not sure what that would do to the handling balance and from my brief research, I think you'd need to install a narrower rim. Thoughts? Obviously this would be done to open up more tire options.
I've read that fitting a 160 on the 5.5 would be good as it spreads the tire too much and weakens the bead where it seals to the rim.

I don't have any real world experience to share here. Tire choices would rock.

Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:33 PM   #1697
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry
I know better, but I just got around to checking/setting the sag on my SMR. Hey, it's only been 15K miles...

If I believe the manual, the SMR comes with 0.58 fork springs versus the 0.56 springs on the SM. The fork preload was set as expected at 5 turns out (5mm) and I didn't have nearly enough sag with me on the bike (51 mm). I figure I'm shooting for about 68mm (1/3 of total travel).

So now the fork preload is completely backed out (10 turns) and I've only got 60 mm of sag up front. I guess the springs are too stiff for my weight. So now I'm pondering where to get new fork springs, what rate they should be, etc. And also considering having the valving redone because of too much high-speed compression damping that stands the bike up when hitting bumps while leaned over.

FWIW, I reduced the rear preload a couple turns to get it to match the front (60mm sag) to keep the geometry similar.
Garry,

You may want to give James a call out at http://www.superplushsuspension.com/index.htm

As I understand it Aeronaut has been happy with his forks since he's had them redone by James, I just spoke with him today about redoing mine. James has a fair number of fans in the Orange Crush area too.
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:41 AM   #1698
delusion39
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer
I've read that fitting a 160 on the 5.5 would be good as it spreads the tire too much and weakens the bead where it seals to the rim.

I don't have any real world experience to share here. Tire choices would rock.
I assume you mean't wouldn't be good. And yes, I've read that as well as it changes the tire profile considerably. I'd think that a 160 rear with one of the more aggressive SM tread patterns would make the bike much better in the dirt. The Syncs are OK, but I do think we can do better for the days that are planed to be 50% dirt.
delusion39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:35 AM   #1699
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyMo
Garry,

You may want to give James a call out at http://www.superplushsuspension.com/index.htm

As I understand it Aeronaut has been happy with his forks since he's had them redone by James, I just spoke with him today about redoing mine. James has a fair number of fans in the Orange Crush area too.
I just tried sending him an email via his web site and it was returned because his mailbox is full. Is phone the best way to reach him?
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #1700
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I just tried sending him an email via his web site and it was returned because his mailbox is full. Is phone the best way to reach him?
Guess so. I called him yesterday late afternoon and he rang back by 6p. I forgot to ask him about sag. He's detailed some good info on his site but I was curious about his thoughts on the SM/SMR specificaly. If you get some good feedback please post up.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:47 AM   #1701
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayner
Got my Lower Frame Sliders, Fork/Axle Sliders, Swingarm Sliders, and KTM SM Tankbag today. Took me all of 30 minutes to put it all on.

What's next?
Oh boy you're asking for a dose of 'Mod Sickness'. Best bang for the buck IMHO:

16t front sprocket
Aftermarket seat (Corbin, Renazco, Rick Mayer)
De Can and SAS
Aftermarket Exhaust canisters (reduce heat and Lbs)
Jetting
690 screen (if you're doing the odd highway blast)
Heated grips
Old 05-27-2009, 01:37 PM   #1702
aeronaut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
I've had good success contacting SuperPlush via both email and phone, but sometimes email takes a few days for a response.

FYI, if you want details on what I would recommend you get from Superplush, PM me and I'll give you more detailed information and opinion.
aeronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:44 PM   #1703
MotoSteve
Functioning Motard

Oddometer: 363
Rear shock cover??

Has anyone installed one of those ATV style wrap around rear shock covers on there 950SM? I would prefer a nice Black one with KTM or WP or something else cool printed on it, but I guess anything that fits and doesn't look to out of place will do.

I don't know of any ATV shops in the area, so will probably have to go with the internet. Did some serches but turned up ATV specific fitment guides, so have no way of knowing if it will fit my shock.

My spring measures 3.5" diameter, about 8"long, 11" circumference.

Thanks.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:52 PM   #1704
iammemares
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
oil sight tube

so there has been discussion lately on replacing the oil tube that is prone to failure. some had suggested using tubing from Home Depot with long lasting success. I was at HD to get some and found both a whitish colored rigid poly line and a vinyl clear but soft line. Neither has temp ratings but both are supposed to be impervious to chemicals and gases. The white line is slightly small ID but the clear hose is perfect.

Any thoughts if the clear vinyl hose will survive as a sight tube?
iammemares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:43 PM   #1705
aeronaut
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoSteve
Has anyone installed one of those ATV style wrap around rear shock covers on there 950SM? I would prefer a nice Black one with KTM or WP or something else cool printed on it, but I guess anything that fits and doesn't look to out of place will do.

I don't know of any ATV shops in the area, so will probably have to go with the internet. Did some serches but turned up ATV specific fitment guides, so have no way of knowing if it will fit my shock.

My spring measures 3.5" diameter, about 8"long, 11" circumference.

Thanks.
I know of this one from Traxxion:

http://traxxion.com/detail-78.aspx
Old 05-28-2009, 04:14 AM   #1706
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,271
That's what I have on mine. The 8" spring model fits perfectly:

It's kinda redundant now as I also have a 950SE inner fender/mud guard installed:

Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:45 AM   #1707
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut
...FYI, if you want details on what I would recommend you get from Superplush, PM me and I'll give you more detailed information and opinion.
Why not just put it here? Unlike in a lot of other threads, this crowd seems to appreciate everyone's opinions, and disagreements are kept civil.

I just had SP do the SE suspension and will probably send the SM suspension to him this winter; so I'm in info-gathering mode.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:13 AM   #1708
aeronaut
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow
Why not just put it here? Unlike in a lot of other threads, this crowd seems to appreciate everyone's opinions, and disagreements are kept civil.

I just had SP do the SE suspension and will probably send the SM suspension to him this winter; so I'm in info-gathering mode.
Agree this is a very civil crowd! But I feel this needs to be more of a conversation than posting an opinion. Doesn't mean I'm unhappy with what SP has done for me, but knowing what I know now, with my riding style and roads, I'd guide SP a slightly different direction. But that may not fit everyone's desires.

I'm considering having the rear shock done by someone else, just to have the experience of another tuner. Apples and oranges I know, but am looking at Moto-pro and a local place that uses Race-Tech valves (MRP in Glen Burnie MD). MRP has a pretty good reputation at the local tracks, and it'd be oh so nice to have a 1 day turn around, and talk and discuss in person with the tuner. Big price difference between Moto-pro and MRP though, and Moto-pro seems more experienced with KTM/WP shocks. Both MRP and MotoPro were very helpful and pleasant on the phone, taking lots of time to discuss options, costs, etc.

One thing in common, every tuner I talk to agrees that both the WP forks and shocks come far too harsh from the factory. (But, if they didn't say this, they wouldn't have any business :))
Old 05-28-2009, 11:48 AM   #1709
delusion39
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut
MRP has a pretty good reputation at the local tracks, and it'd be oh so nice to have a 1 day turn around
I've always had good experiences with MRP
delusion39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:07 PM   #1710
MotoSteve
Functioning Motard

Oddometer: 363
Got one.

I had this installed today. Great product, works as advertised.

This is a pretty well designed unit. Lots of intelligent features as compared to your basic shift light. Nice directions and all necessary wires/connections included. My mechanic decided to use some factory insulated conduit and better connections. The company was easy to deal with and it shipped quick. Arrived in one week from down under, at the slowest (least expensive) shipping option!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pewpew