Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2007, 10:35 AM   #166
tart
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271

It came from a chap in Germany, details here.
http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5774

tart screwed with this post 04-08-2007 at 12:29 PM
tart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:22 AM   #167
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,712
4K service. Ouch!

I was getting close (3,870 miles), so figured I'd beat the spring rush and get the 4k service done a tad early. $581. Pretty steep, but consistent with some friends' pricing experience at other dealers.

On the plus side, the rear brake recall parts came in so that was done, and they agreed to replace the klacker. Doesn't klack all the time, but it happens enough to be annoying. I'd think KTM would want to do all these they can- based on the looks and comments I get from other brand owners when it happens, it's not a good advertisement for KTM

This is a really fun bike- even on the mostly highway ride home in the snow "storm" we had yesterday, the bike is a flat out hoot.

My reason for making that comment is that I'm seeing an awful lot (or at least it seems that way) of 950SMs coming up for sale- most with very low mileage- and can't understand it. Might be people have the hots for the colors (orange spring!) of the 2007 model, or maybe to get a SuperDuke. Or maybe the bike isn't what they expected; though I find that hard to beleive- it is exactly what it looks like.

Or maybe it poses too much of threat to life and license. Now that I can believe

Noticed when I parked it at home that the rear tire wear marks are just about to show. I'll probably get another Pirelli for the street- but haven't decided what to do for a track day set.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:20 AM   #168
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,442
[quote=wpbarlow]

This is a really fun bike- even on the mostly highway ride home in the snow "storm" we had yesterday, the bike is a flat out hoot.

My reason for making that comment is that I'm seeing an awful lot (or at least it seems that way) of 950SMs coming up for sale- most with very low mileage- and can't understand it. Might be people have the hots for the colors (orange spring!) of the 2007 model, or maybe to get a SuperDuke. Or maybe the bike isn't what they expected; though I find that hard to beleive- it is exactly what it looks like.

Or maybe it poses too much of threat to life and license. Now that I can believe

quote]

I wasn't sure about keeping mine until the 16t and the jetting....now I am in love....
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:32 PM   #169
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

4052 miles

And the back brake is squealing like a pig just before coming to a stop. Other than that, all is fine.

Fun ride today to the Norton gathering.

Lotta neat old bikes starting on page 3 of this thread...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=220016&page=3
Old 04-22-2007, 07:03 PM   #170
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow
... I'm seeing an awful lot (or at least it seems that way) of 950SMs coming up for sale- [...]
Bingo! The back tires replaced every 2K miles, the front ... well - has anyone worn one out yet?

I have the serious hots for the SuperDuke languishing at my local dealer. I have to admit falling for it first, and it suits my riding a little better, but I really like being able to abuse the crap out of a street bike and have it beg for more. The SM just sucks up abuse; I don't believe the SD would be as forgiving. The SM is just a big, overpowered softy of a bike. And it works my weekend hell-raising... Oh, and the SD is $15K. And the wife is getting a new kitchen this year. And I blew my annual wad on new riding gear. And we may be relo'd late this summer. ... So, no, a new bike is NOT in the picture this year.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:20 PM   #171
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

4,320 Miles

Twisties, city traffic, city park/dirt, highway, or just parked for some cheesesteak- doesn't really make much difference.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:18 PM   #172
gasgaseffinfast
Ahh, f*ck it.

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee
Bingo! The back tires replaced every 2K miles, the front ... well - has anyone worn one out yet?

I have the serious hots for the SuperDuke languishing at my local dealer. I have to admit falling for it first, and it suits my riding a little better, but I really like being able to abuse the crap out of a street bike and have it beg for more. The SM just sucks up abuse; I don't believe the SD would be as forgiving. The SM is just a big, overpowered softy of a bike. And it works my weekend hell-raising... Oh, and the SD is $15K. And the wife is getting a new kitchen this year. And I blew my annual wad on new riding gear. And we may be relo'd late this summer. ... So, no, a new bike is NOT in the picture this year.
My SD gives me the impression that if I "abuse" the throttle, it could bite. I think this has a lot to do with the instantaneous throttle response and a shitload of instant torque/horsepower

Actually I felt like I could cane my 999 with a lot less respect than the SD - but I'm still breaking her in (400 miles). Maybe my cajones will grow with the miles....
gasgaseffinfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:49 PM   #173
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,412
Ok...

Mine is a 2006 - had it since July. I haven't had a bike since I was a kid - twenty years or so. I have about 2500 miles on it. Random impressions...

I really like it, and think it was a good choice. Torque, enough power, very flickable, probably not a great "beginner" bike. Wonderful suspension and brakes, great motor.

Remember Grandma's car (Buick or Cadillac)? The goal was to get as far removed from the feel of the road and the sensation of speed as possible. The SM is 180 degrees from that - all motorcycles are to some entent, but the SM is as far as you can get.

The SM has a pretty high CG and seat height, and I think I can feel that. It's does transitions very well, but it seems to be harder work to "get it right" than it is on some other bikes. One of my main riding buddies rides an R1, and he has ridden my bike a couple of times. He's very complimentary of it, but said it's (his term) scarier to go fast on my bike than his in the turns. I think that's because of the height and the seating position.

I just wonder if I meant to get a Tuono or maybe a Superduke, but got the SM instead. It's a great bike, but I wonder if I made the right choice for me.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:16 AM   #174
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C/1/509
..., but said it's (his term) scarier to go fast on my bike than his in the turns. I think that's because of the height and the seating position.

I just wonder if I meant to get a Tuono or maybe a Superduke, but got the SM instead. It's a great bike, but I wonder if I made the right choice for me.

For me it was a relatively simple choice- as I said somewhere already in this thread, though I strongly considered the Tuono (I already have an Aprilia and really like them) and less so the SuperDuke; the decider for me was that I felt the 950SM would be a better really bad and dirt road bike- which makes up a good part of what I like to ride. Besides, I wouldn't care so much when it gets dirty because it has more of a dirt heritage aspect to it

The other bikes are essentially naked sportbikes with somewhat upright seating; which chages the riding dynamic enough to be genuinely different: though still offering surperb high speed handling. Your friend is right- at really high speeds the 950SM is not as composed as one of these or a regular sportbike. So if that's where you ride, there are better choices. Doesn't matter to me though, because it works so much better for where & how I like to ride.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:15 PM   #175
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,412
Small stuff - I test roade a Buell XB12 something or the other last weekend. No comparison to my bike in most areas. But even after having my bike for nine months it was easier to balance the Buell at walking speeds. I can do a "track stand" (come to a complete stop for at least a few seconds) on my buddies R1 much, much more often and easier than on my bike. Does that make any difference at all at speed? I don't know, but I wonder. I can't get a test ride on a Tuono to save my life, but as much as I like my SM, and I do, I wonder.

Saturday I'm going to put the 16 tooth countershaft sprocket on the SM. Should be really insane after that.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:20 PM   #176
bykpimp
Live and let ride

Oddometer: 1,408
The 16t just tightens the gap a lil bit, it won't make it insane.
bykpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:55 PM   #177
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

4612 miles

almost 300 miles of this today-- need I say more?
Old 05-09-2007, 05:54 PM   #178
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat
Today's changes:

CF front low fender
Black plastics
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:05 PM   #179
tkorpi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow
need I say more?
Ummm, yeah...where is that sign!?!

tkorpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:30 PM   #180
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkorpi
Ummm, yeah...where is that sign!?!

Ok, just for you (but don't tell anyone ), combination of Rt. 3010/Snow Hill Rd./Marshalls Creek Rd.. Not the only good roads in the area. A veritable 950SM playground