User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2007, 04:19 PM   #211
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,712
5771 miles

Geez, has it really been a month since the last report? I didn't use it for a couple of weeks since I had the bars off to install, and then wait for, my 1" Loaded risers to come back- the set I originally ordered was a tad too large, so I sent them back for a little rework. Apparently, there is some measure of variability in the thing that holds them in place. I should have them back this coming week; so threw the stockers back on for a couple of rides

Nothing much to report: the klacker fix really seems to work, as I haven't had a single incident since the warranty repair.

I have one temporary addition- the Touratech wind deflector. I originally borrowed it from Frank (Docking Pilot) to run on the 950A, and figured I'd try it on the SM for a 150 mile club ride I did today. Actually seems to work a little more effectively on the SM than the A: so I'll probably order one.

wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:32 PM   #212
rick danger
Off the wagon

Oddometer: 4,930
I just put on 2 1/4" rox risers. Nice Gps is installed. Gonna mess with the seat tomorrow. Try to widen it in the middle. Sweeeeet Bike!!!! Lovin it! I'm thinking of getting the neptune mufflers for it in black.

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:05 AM   #213
wsdbikes
New Max is Mad

Oddometer: 1,281
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171324

should have racks for the 950 SM pretty soon. they look good and Im down for one. got the block off plates and they are very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347
Hmm, that was alot of questions.

First, congratulations on making a decision (finally!). I don't think you could be disappointed in the bike.

I can only help with the rack question. That I know of there is still no good looking flat rack for the 950SM, which is why I built sme racks for my bike in the first place. There are no more of my design available from me.
A member from over at KTMtalk (520640 over there, not sure if he is here) was selling his 950SM a week or two ago and it had a rack. Maybe you could talk him out of his?

Other than that, have you seen the new side rack/soft saddle bags from the KTM hardparts catalog? I really liked them and ordered a set right away.

Brent

"I only wish I had video running when WSD did a no footed can-can over some boulders on mainline....two feet of air easy..." -Abdelhub
Yeah, on the GS http://vimeo.com/3232838

Notable Past-'01 KLR 250, 95 R1100GS, 06 KTM 950 SM, 69 Bridgestone 90
wsdbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:40 AM   #214
rick danger
Off the wagon

What are block off plates?

Old 07-10-2007, 05:55 AM   #215
wsdbikes
New Max is Mad

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick danger
What are block off plates?
used when the canisterectomy is done. couple of fittings with air hoses on the heads are removed and the blockoff plates cover where they were.

"I only wish I had video running when WSD did a no footed can-can over some boulders on mainline....two feet of air easy..." -Abdelhub
Yeah, on the GS http://vimeo.com/3232838

Notable Past-'01 KLR 250, 95 R1100GS, 06 KTM 950 SM, 69 Bridgestone 90
wsdbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:22 PM   #216
timfarno
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
KTM 950 Supermoto Windscreen

Any reco to source a taller windscreen for the KTM 950 Supermoto?
timfarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:29 PM   #217
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfarno
Any reco to source a taller windscreen for the KTM 950 Supermoto?

It's mentioned earlier in the thread-- the one on mine is from Hyde Racing http://www.hyderacing.com/index.htm
Old 08-06-2007, 07:55 AM   #218
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

6039 Miles. Resolved...

Not to wait so long between 950SM rides

Did a real nice mixed surface ride yesterday that highlighted what makes this such a fun bike: great smooth and poor pavement performance, decent on dirt roads, and ready to take on casual water when needed as a bonus. All in "reasonable" comfort.

BTW- lots of yadda yadda talk recently about the 950SM compared to the Duc Hypermoto. I'll start talking with you as soon as you show me some pictures of the Ducati in similar situations as above.

Been a year since I got it; so it was a good "anniversary" ride. Got pretty dirty on the ride, so I treated it to a cleaning when I got home.
Well, at least a hosing down

6k miles in a year is not a lot of miles per se- but it does share duty with 3 other road bikes, so it's getting its share of use; and the smiles/mile ratio is very good.

wpbarlow screwed with this post 08-06-2007 at 08:22 AM
Old 08-06-2007, 11:40 AM   #219
backdrifter
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
There was a nice post somewhere here that I can't find again. I think the title was "Don't Believe the Hype". At any rate, the author had ridden a Hypermotard S with Termignoni pipes and said it couldn't keep up with a pure stock 950sm if it tried.

I love my 950sm. I avoided buying one for nearly two years because I didn't like the looks. Once I got one, I fell in love. It looks much better in person and it does EVERYTHING right! I owned a 950 Adventure in the past (nice bike), but the SM is the one I should've bought from the start. I'm looking forward to a long happy relation ship with this bike.

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:15 PM   #220
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347
Helllllo Walter... (spoken as Sienfeld speaks to Newman ),

I agree with your assessment of the 950s prowess on dirt roads and even some trails, but the bottom of my Akro exhaust would beg to differ on the jump-ability of the bike!

Here is a pic of my two 950s in Death Valley 2 weeks ago. Did a section of dirt road that was 130 miles pavement to pavement and about 180 gas to gas. I don't think I need to tell you about the limited fuel range of the SM... It had one section of about 5-10 miles of super rocky downhill two-track where I bottomed the exhaust on rocks a couple of times, and if it hadn't gone anywhere I don't think we would have been riding these bikes out. It was however a route I had on GPS from this years DV days, so I knew if those old bastards on GS's could get through so could I!

Anyway, the 950 Adv. had some Pilot Power track day take-offs on it and extended sections of gravel combined with heat and speed absolutely ate the rear tire. About a 1/2" wide section in the center of the tire was showing cords when we got the bike home! The Pirelli Scorps on the SM were great once again however.

This picture was taken at about the 50 mile mark and shortly before things got nasty.

Brent

I looked at the SE exhaust and it appears that the header section would be a direct bolt on to the SM thus having a high pipe instead of the low slung SM version. Has anyone thought about this mod or investigated? Same frame....
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:19 AM   #221
mrkennethporter
Escaped Lunatic Beware!

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 speed
I looked at the SE exhaust and it appears that the header section would be a direct bolt on to the SM thus having a high pipe instead of the low slung SM version. Has anyone thought about this mod or investigated? Same frame....
I thought the Evo system from akropovic did that. brought the headers through the frame instead of under the bike.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:17 PM   #222
backdrifter
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 speed
That would be interesting to see. I hopped some very steep railroad tracks the other day and managed to bottom out pretty good. Scared the crap out of me, especially since it doesn't have a skid plate and I wasn't sure what the lowest part of the bike is. Turns out it's the header pipe. I scraped it a little, but it didn't dent or deform. If you put a high pipe on it, I would definitely suggest a skid plate to protect the vulerable bottom of the engine.

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:38 PM   #223
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

6222 Miles

Finally got around to putting on the 1" risers I got from Loaded. Nice pieces, and it makes a noticible difference- little more "natural" position when seated and more comfortable when standing. Good investment.

Got some other big (but different interpertations) motos out for a near 200 mile toot (for me, 100 longer for them) to test ride the Hypermoto at a Ducati Demo day. Would have been interesting, but the first available slots were later than we wanted to stay. Some other time.

After getting home I had to do a couple of things to the A; so I took a sibling shot

Old 08-15-2007, 07:50 PM   #224
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Clarifications please

Been lurking a few days now. Squeezed this thread for everything it's worth before making my first ever post.

So here goes:
Found myself unexpectingly owning a very low mileage 06 SM a few days ago. Seems a very wealthy fella purchased one and it was a bit more bike than he expected. Ended up falling on it and I am guessing it scared him. He requested the dealer buy it back from him, and even though they stated that they were not in business to purchase bikes back and would not be willing to give him what it was worth, he still insisted on parting with it. SO he agreed to auction it to the employees of the dealership! Being a good customer (7-8 bikes purchased) and the fact a relative has worked there for many years, I was given the oppurtunity to bid against the employees.

I have been riding for 35 years (yep, another fat old fart) and currently have several bikes ranging from a DR400 motarded, for cutting up on, to a VTR 1000 set up for track days only. And I have to be honest, I have dreamed of having a Ducati for many years, but just never could fork that much dough out for just 1 bike.

Well, I stole that 950 SM! Even felt bad that none of the guys who make their living selling-fixing-parting bikes could come up with much cash on such short notice. But there she sits in my living room!

Now that the background is out of the way, I do have a couple of questions. :)

1. What is the "Klacker" issue? I picked up on the rear brake problem and have addressed it while I'm waiting on the parts I ordered as a result of the original owners fall. (Yes, I now know that almost NOTHING is in stock for this bike....everything I needed is "on order")

2. Canisterectomy......needed badly or not? I'm used to modding bikes. Almost every bike I ever have owned has required addressing one flaw or another. But I always thought that if I ever got my dream Ducati, I would try to leave it as stock as possible. It wouldn't need to be the fastest or best handling bike I ever owned. It would just need to be what it is...a sexy italian work of engineering art.

So I guess I got my first exotic, al be it from just over the border from where I always thought it would come from. And after taking it apart to do a thourough look over of any parts affected by the fall, I have to admit I am kinda getting excited.

Can't wait to crank this baby up!

Thanks in advance for educating a new KTMer.
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:09 AM   #225
rick danger
Off the wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow
Finally got around to putting on the 1" risers ...............to test ride the Hypermoto at
I put on 2 1/4" Rox risers and standing is perfect now. (I'm 6'5") One of the things I like in a bike, and one reason (among many others) I chose this bike over the HM. Thats about the limit for the stock front brake line though. And its pushing it. Test ride the HM if you want to be even more happy with your SM. (stronger front brakes on the HM though).