Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2009, 05:33 PM   #2266
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,557
I hadn't thought of that Chuck. I'll warm it up and then put it up on the stands Monday and see what I can see. Might be something simple.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:12 PM   #2267
iammemares
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Got my grips and bar end mirrors

Plus my Handlebar spot mount.

Once I get this stuff one I am really gonna have to post a few pics. I tried to post a few, but could not get the file size small enough??

I have s few farkles and some custom paint work that I have not seen on another SMR.

Really interested to learn what the fluid leak is??
iammemares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #2268
KTMmiker
Moto Junkie

Oddometer: 143
??? Has anyone LOWERED their bars??

Question for the masses: Has anyone lowered the bars on their SM?? I have an 06 and the fat bar doesn't have much rise to begin with. Has anyone come across top clamps, or maybe SD clamp that would pitch one into the wind slightly better for 75 mph plus highway jaunts? Any ideas??
TIA,
Mike
Past Flings: 08 990 Adventure, 05 Tiger, 03 Caponord ,02 Aprilia Futura , O8 Guzzi 1200 Sport , 08 Speed Triple, 02 Falco, 07 Tiger, 04 Sprint RS, 2000 VFR (Pretec), 00 KTM 640e, Bonnevilles and Tbird's (Triples)
KTMmiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:25 PM   #2269
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
I always thought clipons on one of these SM's would be rockin ;)
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #2270
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
So I got my suspension setup according to the sheet posted here.. .

and got my sag set between the 60-70mm you guys recommended (it was already there, closer to 60mm)

I took the bike for a spin today.

My impressions:

Seems to turn as quick as ever

damping rates front and rear now seem to be much closer to the same (ie back and front go up and down at the same rates, or close to it)

Head wobble is still there. It's not worse than it ever was, but i think I can notice it at a lower mph than before. Im not bothered by it (this is at 70-80mph +)

Brake dive is noticeably better (stiffer front). Stoppies may become my new hobby

Somehow, the bike seems to want me to ride it hard. It was always easy to start riding it hard, but now it seems. . . i dunno. Eager. This started the instant i turned out of my driveway

Im running 5 turns of preload (as in take it all out, then clockwise 5 turns)

To my untrained sense, 5 turns out, and 0 turns out felt a lot alike. I went with 5 since that was what's on the setup sheet.

Oh, bumps in the road seem more noticeable as well. But not too much worse.

If you weigh somewhere between 190 and 215 with gear, I'd say use that sheet as a start. Tune from there.

my 02
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:26 PM   #2271
iammemares
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
How about the front SAG

You can have an effect on head shake via SAG (if only a small effect). If you relatively raise the rear (or drop the front which would be more sag in front or less in the rear) you have steepened the front angle which will in turn theoretically create the opportunity for more head shake. Opposite if you relatively lower the rear of the bike which slackens the front angle a bit. I run mine very slightly down in the rear to slow the steering a bit and reduce the tendency for head shake.

This does have the potential to make the rear feel like it is sitting down a bit on hard accel.

When I first got my SMR I was shocked at the steering quickness and tendency for head shake. Then I made some adjustments and mellowed out on the bike and realized the bike itself is quite stable. Ride it loose. No death grip on the bars on this one. It likes to be ridden hard, but not choked, IMHO
iammemares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:10 PM   #2272
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Are the tail pipes interchangeable between the Supermoto and the Adventurer?
Newbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:47 AM   #2273
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammemares
Ride it loose. No death grip on the bars on this one. It likes to be ridden hard, but not choked, IMHO
Precisely what I have to do on my motarded SE. Imagine what your SMR would be like with 16mm less trail and even wider handlebars. I had to forget about my hands, and think about steering with knee and footpeg pressure (the hands know what to do). My bike isn't unstable either, but it's extremely sensitive to rider input, and any setup changes; even small changes in tire pressure.

Riding big trailies with 19" and 21" front wheels for the past 6 years made me lazy about technique.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:47 PM   #2274
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 8,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammemares
You can have an effect on head shake via SAG (if only a small effect). If you relatively raise the rear (or drop the front which would be more sag in front or less in the rear) you have steepened the front angle which will in turn theoretically create the opportunity for more head shake. Opposite if you relatively lower the rear of the bike which slackens the front angle a bit. I run mine very slightly down in the rear to slow the steering a bit and reduce the tendency for head shake.
That's not necessarily the answer. Could be the front end feels flighty because there's not enough weight on the front end. I had better results lowering the front ten mm and keeping a light touch on the bars.

This is a very sensitive bike. How you sit and what you do with your legs, feet and hands will have a major affect on the bike's stability under hard acceleration and high speeds. These aren't set up issues as much as they are riding technique issues.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #2275
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,557
Position is more important than it would seem.

Lots of twisties, 15 and 25 mph (marked) curves, up and down the mountains. Towards the end, coming out of the apex when the bike was really leaned over, there was some minor head shake - especially noticeable in tight, right hand turns. Moving up on the seat and lightening up on the bars pretty well eliminated that.

Short ride today - just enough to get it up to 5 bars and get the fan on. No leak. Now I'm really puzzled. I'll take it out and run it hard Thursday.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:23 PM   #2276
DGINAZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Hey 6USMC6 - I had an MV Brutale a few years back that was very picky about fluid level in the overflow tank - add too much and the bike would piss it out on the next ride.

This may have happened to you - just a thought, maybe you added just a bit too much and it spit it out.

Good luck on resolving the problem - I have almost 800 miles on my SMR and will keep a very close eye out for this issue. As a matter of fact, my fluid level looked a bit low this past weekend... maybe my mind is playing tricks on me!

DG
DGINAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #2277
DGINAZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Rear Stand Spools...

So my new Pit Bull rear stand spools didn't fit my SMR, actually the bolt threads were the issue. I'll be returning them to Pit Bull.

Resolution - I purchased and installed the rear spools w/sliders from Supermoto Engineering (anodized orange) and they fit perfectly. Good quality stuff - A+ recommendation!

DG
DGINAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:41 PM   #2278
doctor_big
It hurts when I fall down

Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6
Short ride today - just enough to get it up to 5 bars and get the fan on. No leak. Now I'm really puzzled. I'll take it out and run it hard Thursday.
Now that I think about it, I believe I may have had a tiny pissing leak back when I first got the bike... but it disappeared by itself in short order.

JT
doctor_big is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #2279
Big-K
Motorhead

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_big
Now that I think about it, I believe I may have had a tiny pissing leak back when I first got the bike... but it disappeared by itself in short order.

JT
So you're saying the bike made you piss your pants when you first got it?

Me too, it was that much fun
Big-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:58 PM   #2280
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbusa
Are the tail pipes interchangeable between the Supermoto and the Adventurer?
Anybody?
Newbusa is offline   Reply With Quote