User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2009, 05:36 PM   #2281
iammemares
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Yes CR

CR is right, the bike is very sensitive to technique and weight distribution. I have also learned to keep weight up front. I want to go to a slighter lower bar to encourage this a bit.

The only reason I mentioned the SAGA balance issue is to make sure he was aware of the potential impact of SAG front to rear balance and the related geometry changes. Head shake on my bike did mellow a bit when I adjusted the SAG. When I first got my bike it was set up for a heavier rider and the rear preload was jacked up and thus the rear of the bike was high. Once the SAG was set for my weight and I intentionally ran the rear slightly low (we are talking a few mm), the head shake all but. The change you made CR would transfer weight to the front but also quickened the steering a bit. If one is not use to super quick high leverage steering and riding loose, your change might be problematic.

In my case, I slowed the geometry ever so slightly with SAG, and then make sure to keep my weight up on the tank while riding hard. I had forgotten what it was like to ride a dirt bike until I got on my SMR. That is why that seat goes up the tank. Get up on the tank, keep the front end loaded and hooked and the rear will follow.

And of course, ride loose.
iammemares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:59 PM   #2282
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammemares
CR is right, the bike is very sensitive to technique and weight distribution. I have also learned to keep weight up front. ...

And of course, ride loose.
Agreed. The only time I actually notice much headshake is when my tank is empty...even then it is only at speeds of 100+ mph.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #2283
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbusa
Anybody?

I beleive they are interchangeable.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:39 PM   #2284
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow
I beleive they are interchangeable.
Thank you,I am thinking of trading my SM on a Adventurer, and would like to take my Akro pipes with me to the new bike.
Newbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:26 AM   #2285
doctor_big
It hurts when I fall down

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-K
So you're saying the bike made you piss your pants when you first got it?
That too!

Jason
doctor_big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:04 AM   #2286
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMReardon
Question for the masses: Has anyone lowered the bars on their SM?? I have an 06 and the fat bar doesn't have much rise to begin with. Has anyone come across top clamps, or maybe SD clamp that would pitch one into the wind slightly better for 75 mph plus highway jaunts? Any ideas??
TIA,
Mike
Yes, I'm running lower bars to offset the increase in bar clamp height caused by installing an Emig steering stabilizer. To lower your bar clamps you'll have to replace the stock upper clamp. SD clamps may not work as the offset may not be the same as your SM (30mm). My stock bars are 95mm high c to c and have 95mm of sweep front to inside tip. Here are some of the Fat Bar choices I've come across:

http://www.drivenracing.com/content.cfm/go/handle-bars These are offered in a bend that's 65mm high (click applications for bend details)

http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/fathandlebars.cfm

http://www.rizoma.com/Prodotti/Prodo...oria=4&IDSez=1

http://www.renthal.com/File/product2.asp

Here's a link to a bar disscusion thread over at KTM Talk:
http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?act=ST&f=135&t=344853

Good luck
nattyMo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:58 AM   #2287
doctor_big
It hurts when I fall down

Oddometer: 679
Chain tension

Something that's been bugging me lately.... my chain clatters at low rpms under load. I have it tightened to what looks reasonable for a dirt-bikey type of chain. How much slack should I have?

Jason
doctor_big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:34 AM   #2288
Limitless
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Hi Guys,

just got back from my 7000 mile trip around Europe on the 950, which performed perfectly.

I'm yet to go over the photos but will try and post some up soon. In the meantime I remember seeing a post that gave a run down of all the topics on this super post. I'm not sure what the previous owner did to the bike but are there some basic mods I should be doing?

Oh and I spoke with Berg at backroadsmoto.com who has some luggage racks for the 950, has anyone tried them already?

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Limitless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:39 AM   #2289
aeronaut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_big
Something that's been bugging me lately.... my chain clatters at low rpms under load. I have it tightened to what looks reasonable for a dirt-bikey type of chain. How much slack should I have?

Jason
I set mine per the manual, and all seems well. (7mm space between the chain and the swingarm, lower side.)
aeronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:07 AM   #2290
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,294
Aero - is that measurement with the bike on the side stand and unladden? Or with weight on the bike (ie, the rider)?

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:34 PM   #2291
aeronaut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Per manual: motorcycle on side stand [unladen].

"Place the motorcycle on the side stand. Switch the transmission to neutral and push the chain up. The distance between the chain and the swing arm should be 7 mm (0.3 in) when the upper part of the chain [A] is tensioned (see drawing). Correct the chain tension if necessary."
aeronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #2292
clay
CLAY JUSTICE

Oddometer: 49
Gets Even Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow
Best customer service story I've heard in a while. Good for them!
TODAY MY NEW TANK CAME IN,WITH DECAL KIT.BRIAN SAID TO GO AHEAD AND KEEP THE "LIKE NEW" TANK HE SENT ME TO USE.
THANKS AGAIN,BRIAN.
CLAY
clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:43 PM   #2293
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,294
Thanks. I missed that. Only saw the section on checking for wear.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #2294
Brinskee
V-twins or nothing

Oddometer: 20
Bars - windshield?

Hey guys,

Heading out on a trip and really wanting a windshield. Already got the Air Hawk for the butt, and the Black Dog large rack for my bag/tent/etc. Have the KTM tank bag, and the fastback backpack, figure I'm set for space.

However, I'd really like a way to fabricate or jerry-rig some kind of large windshield.

I'm looking at some of the Memphis Shade universal fit windshields, and am wondering what size bars come on the 950SM? I have no idea, don't know how to measure them, and can't find the info online. Any help? Has anyone done anything like this?

I figure that if I can find a way to mount them on the bars, a little bit of Dremel tool action will allow them to fit behind the headlight... Is this is stretch? Help!

Thanks!
Brinskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #2295
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by clay
TODAY MY NEW TANK CAME IN,WITH DECAL KIT.BRIAN SAID TO GO AHEAD AND KEEP THE "LIKE NEW" TANK HE SENT ME TO USE.
THANKS AGAIN,BRIAN.CLAY
In the spirit that good karma should be kept going...

You probably should send it back anyway- so he can send it out to the next person who has a fuel tank problem.

Or, you can offer to send it to the next person who needs to wait for one.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote