Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2007, 06:55 AM   #226
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten
Been lurking a few days now. Squeezed this thread for everything it's worth before making my first ever post.

1. What is the "Klacker" issue?...")

2. Canisterectomy......needed badly or not? ....

WTTA and KTMWorld!

Klacker- loosely, it's a piece designed to prevent starter misengagement/backfiring from causing motor damage. The original design is flawed to some degree and as it fails it makes a loud noise that is expressed verbally as "klack". It's not a universal problem, but afflicts a fair number of bikes. I could be wrong, but it seems to happen more with 950SMs (probably because they're the most powerful and studly 950 motors ). It's a warranty item that gets replaced at the dealer discretion (i.e., they have to witness the problem), or if you can convince them to do it. As an aside, the best way to start the 950 seems to be to use no throttle.

Canisterectomy- probably not "as needed" as on an A or SE model, since it will tend to get dropped less frequently. Otoh, it probably can cause starting difficultly if the tank is filled to the brim and left in the sun and the fuel fills the canister because of expansion. There's a hose with a drain nut you can use to empty the canister, but it's in a potenially dangerous place (for having gas run out). Plus it's more hoses to leak/crimp- and the 950 motor is very sensitive to these things. So you have to make your own decision whether to remove it.

PS: you're gonna love the bike
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:59 AM   #227
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
2. Canisterectomy....
on my lc8 the fastest set up was a dna filter i got from england.(strictly non dusty and dry conditions) raised needle to middle position and 1 1/2 turns on the fuel screws---everything else stock except for ditching the 20 pound boat anchors that pass for mufflers. Some bikes i cant feel the extra boost with aftermarket pipes--makes the lc8 smoother and gruntier--must be ditching the cat or something----anyway if you do have the carbs up its ez to do canisterechtomy
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:04 AM   #228
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick danger
I put on 2 1/4" Rox risers and standing is perfect now. (I'm 6'5") One of the things I like in a bike, and one reason (among many others) I chose this bike over the HM. Thats about the limit for the stock front brake line though. And its pushing it. Test ride the HM if you want to be even more happy with your SM. (stronger front brakes on the HM though).
I'm surprised you were able to go 2 1/4". I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam, so 1" was fine for me.

I like and have owned Ducatis- so am interested in riding the HM just on general principles. Unlike most, I don't particularly like the looks of the bike, so I wasn't all that tempted by it. Surprisingly, from sitting on it, I also find the ergonomics pretty nice/roomy. And it is finished very well.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:16 PM   #229
SpeedStar
XT1200Z and DL650

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick danger
I put on 2 1/4" Rox risers and standing is perfect now. (I'm 6'5") One of the things I like in a bike, and one reason (among many others) I chose this bike over the HM. Thats about the limit for the stock front brake line though. And its pushing it. Test ride the HM if you want to be even more happy with your SM. (stronger front brakes on the HM though).
Hey Rick, what did you have to do to get the 2.25" Rox to fit? Do you have the stock bars on? I have 25mm risers on now and they are close to max IMO. I had 30mm before and they were very tight at full turn. I like the Rox, but didn't think I could get them to fit.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356383
SpeedStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:51 PM   #230
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,534
Quote:

Well, I stole that 950 SM! Even felt bad that none of the guys who make their living selling-fixing-parting bikes could come up with much cash on such short notice. But there she sits in my living room!

Well, let's hear it, what exactly constitutes "Stole it"? Inquiring minds want to know.

Brent

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:26 PM   #231
rick danger
Off the wagon

Oddometer: 4,975
[quote=SpeedStar]Hey Rick, what did you have to do to get the 2.25" Rox to fit? Do you have the stock bars on? I have 25mm risers on now and they are close to max IMO. I had 30mm before and they were very tight at full turn. I like the Rox, but didn't think I could get them to fit.[/quote Yeah stock bars, The brake hose is a little tight at full lock, I slid the lever assembly towards the middle of the bars about 3/8" ,bent the brake line fitting at the lever end ever so slightly down so the line faced directly straight, Made sure the brake line was the one in the cluster of wires and stuff to lay against the triple clamp directly and not against other wires and cables thus lengthening it. The bars are faceing up a little more as opposed to back. I wanted the risers mainly to make standing more comfortable. A bunch of little things that hopefully will lead to the fittings not ripping out. Seriously though, there seems to be enough slack even at full lock to be safe enough. So far so good. 6500 miles now, no probs....Wheres the fingers crossed smiley?.....We need one of those

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:57 PM   #232
SpeedStar
XT1200Z and DL650

Oddometer: 528
Thanks Rick! That sounds like what I did when I put my risers on too, just a little more. Good to know that the Rox will work with my setup.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356383
SpeedStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:23 PM   #233
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347
Well, let's hear it, what exactly constitutes "Stole it"? Inquiring minds want to know.

Brent
LOL

I wasn't gonna brag unless someone insisted. I gave 3900 for it. One kid bid everything he was worth at 29. I scared him off by responding with 35. The only other potential player responded at 38. When I went 39, he asked if I was gonna go higher than 5500.00. I just smiled. He then showed he was a gentleman and stated "It's yours. I won't make you spend anymore".

I was stunned! I then told the kind sir that if I ever decided to part with it, he would get first shot at it for what I have in it. Which appears it will be about 4500.00. After stripping her of all her clothes and looking at it with a microscope, the only pricey items with damage are the broken front brake lever, the right side plastic tank panel, a scratched clutch cover, and the lower front fender. (which lost the reflector on the right side but was scratched deeper than I think I could repair) Other than that it is just a scratched bar end and a bent stud that holds the rubber bumper that the fuel tank nestles up to. Also the rear brake pedal was forced hard enough in the wrong direction that it flared the e-clip that holds the push rod ball end in the socket of the master cylinder plunger.

I do have a small gouge in the fuel tank right near the filler cap, but I'm gonna live with that. Too pricey to replace.

Funny thing is I heard a couple days ago that the fella who dropped it bought a new Tuono. Seems he wasn't intimidated by the SM, as I first deducted. Instead, it turns out he is just VERY anal and is the kind of guy who doesn't want anything to do with a bike, car, or anything else that required repairs.

Either way, I ended up with this beauty for less than I paid for my trusty old never-washed KLR. ( My FAVORITE rain bike )

Anyways, you DID ask. I have now bragged. I will go back to being humble now if you don't mind. :)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:42 PM   #234
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,534
Yeah, F-you snakebite. No one likes a braggard.

Just kidding! Awsome deal and I DID ask. That bike is ABSOLUTELY stolen! Congratulations. I bought an '07 R6 last week (10 weeks old) for $7K and thought I had gotten a great deal! You killed my deal!

You're gonna love it!

Brent

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:55 PM   #235
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Can't wait to get on her!

Just how long does it take to get KTM parts? It's been a full week!

Battery is still real strong. Hope that's a sign it didn't sit long and need carb attention.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:51 PM   #236
Kapp555
Better to be Offroad!

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
LOL

I wasn't gonna brag unless someone insisted. I gave 3900 for it. One kid bid everything he was worth at 29. I scared him off by responding with 35. The only other potential player responded at 38. When I went 39, he asked if I was gonna go higher than 5500.00. I just smiled. He then showed he was a gentleman and stated "It's yours. I won't make you spend anymore".

I was stunned! I then told the kind sir that if I ever decided to part with it, he would get first shot at it for what I have in it. Which appears it will be about 4500.00. After stripping her of all her clothes and looking at it with a microscope, the only pricey items with damage are the broken front brake lever, the right side plastic tank panel, a scratched clutch cover, and the lower front fender. (which lost the reflector on the right side but was scratched deeper than I think I could repair) Other than that it is just a scratched bar end and a bent stud that holds the rubber bumper that the fuel tank nestles up to. Also the rear brake pedal was forced hard enough in the wrong direction that it flared the e-clip that holds the push rod ball end in the socket of the master cylinder plunger.

I do have a small gouge in the fuel tank right near the filler cap, but I'm gonna live with that. Too pricey to replace.

Funny thing is I heard a couple days ago that the fella who dropped it bought a new Tuono. Seems he wasn't intimidated by the SM, as I first deducted. Instead, it turns out he is just VERY anal and is the kind of guy who doesn't want anything to do with a bike, car, or anything else that required repairs.

Either way, I ended up with this beauty for less than I paid for my trusty old never-washed KLR. ( My FAVORITE rain bike )

Anyways, you DID ask. I have now bragged. I will go back to being humble now if you don't mind. :)
Just want to say OMFG you stole that baby and well done! You have got to wonder what kind of person takes a 10k hit on a 950 sm and then turns around and buys a Tuono. I have to admit If I had unlimited Money I might not bother with it either (in fantasy land). At least he has excellent taste the 950 and the Tuono are 2 top bikes, Id like to have both.
Kapp555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:52 PM   #237
Kapp555
Better to be Offroad!

Oddometer: 671
Oh and I wanted to add is anyone wondering how the new 990 with FI will turn out for 2008?
Kapp555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:50 PM   #238
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
quote: The bottom pipe is something that you need to watch out for, but properly executed (or small in my case) jumps haven't been an issue so far. Rocks and improperly jumped tall curbs are another thing though

I looked at the SE exhaust and it appears you can bolt the headpipe onto the SM, has anyone tried this? that way you get rid of the under engine routing.
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:54 PM   #239
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 speed
I looked at the SE exhaust and it appears you can bolt the headpipe onto the SM, has anyone tried this? that way you get rid of the under engine routing.
It's covered n another thread, but the fast answer is no.

Or yes for a lot of expense
Old 08-21-2007, 09:03 PM   #240
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow
It's covered n another thread, but the fast answer is no.

Or yes for a lot of expense
It would be worth it.
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote