Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2007, 05:25 AM   #256
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat
Are these your original tires or your 2nd set...?????
That was my 2nd rear (replaced at 4k miles). Still on the original front.
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:54 PM   #257
Red Roadster
Roaming Redneck

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones
Can anyone tell me which KTM OEM handguards will fit on the 950SM. I'm looking to add a black pair to my bike. Are there any sweet aftermarket ones that people have mounted?, any pics?
I think you can put on handguards from the ADV, but it will require some surgery to make them clear the brake master cylinder.

I went with a set of Bonz handlebar clamps that have handguard mounting points built into them. Then I bought a set of plastic guards and a piece of aluminum bar stock. I bent the aluminum into the shape I wanted, and mounted the plastic pieces to that. They look just like factory and work very well.

If you want to see pics, shoot me a pm and I'll e-mail you some.

You can barely see them in post 70, there's pics of my bike there.

Steve
Old 09-16-2007, 10:51 AM   #258
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Bluhduh This bike stinks

But fortunately, not metaphorically

I suspected there were places I missed cleaning the tire sealer from after some spewed out during last week's flat incident. Noticed it the first time I stopped. Not particualrly interested in taking the bike apart, I figured I'd help the aging process by covering it with stuff

First I figured I'd whip up some green at the nearby single track practice area, cleverly disguised as a railroad right-o-way

Then I headed over to a nearby supermoto practice track, which is cleverly disguised as a trucking yard

Roosted around for a while and then headed home before the track marshals ( ) showed up. Though still there, the smell was less. Guess I'll just have to ride it some more. Which unfortunately won't be for a few weeks : as I'll be taking it's big brother TATing
Old 09-17-2007, 07:40 AM   #259
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,531
Walter thanks for the insight....

Just got back from a 900 mile 3 day trek on the SM....the bike did great...the front tire is a little tricky in the loose sand but beside that....
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:14 PM   #260
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Man just spent an hour reading the Adventure and SE threads.....I love my SM but hated the way the front tire handled in the dirt, gravel and sand....granted it is worn down now....4000 miles....but my friend on an Adventure was kicking ass in the dirt.....

Off the dirt obviously the SM simply rocks and the brakes allow you to be ...ummmm....spirited....

I am planning another trip for next month....are there any better tire options or do I get custom rims made and add the Adventure tires?.....

Help....
Old 09-17-2007, 05:04 PM   #261
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Man just spent an hour reading the Adventure and SE threads.....I love my SM but hated the way the front tire handled in the dirt, gravel and sand....granted it is worn down now....4000 miles....but my friend on an Adventure was kicking ass in the dirt.....

Off the dirt obviously the SM simply rocks and the brakes allow you to be ...ummmm....spirited....

I am planning another trip for next month....are there any better tire options or do I get custom rims made and add the Adventure tires?.....

Help....
My 625 SMC was the same way; the front 17" is so wide it doesnt bite but skates. Thats how it was on sand and I am sure that was how it is on gravel as well.

I split the difference and put a 19" front on. This way I could run a wider front tire that still has some roadworthiness to it but bites much better off road. The rim is 2.15" wide (a regular motocross rear rim size) vs. a 1.75" that many of the 21" bikes have. This gives much more confidence on the pavement as you have some good meat on the road.
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:24 PM   #262
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 speed
My 625 SMC was the same way; the front 17" is so wide it doesnt bite but skates. Thats how it was on sand and I am sure that was how it is on gravel as well.

I split the difference and put a 19" front on. This way I could run a wider front tire that still has some roadworthiness to it but bites much better off road. The rim is 2.15" wide (a regular motocross rear rim size) vs. a 1.75" that many of the 21" bikes have. This gives much more confidence on the pavement as you have some good meat on the road.
sent an E-mail to Woody's to see if they can make me a 19/17 set that will bolt right up....

Avon distanzia http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcyc...howspecs&id=20
or
Pirelli MT60

????.....thanks....
Old 09-30-2007, 10:27 AM   #263
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

6979 sMiles

Very nice +300 miler today- chasing Doc around his SE. Lot of medium speed dirt and pavement (and near pavement) as we reversed part on the njtat route from Flemington to near High Point. Wasn't as dusty as I expected, but still....

For this kind of riding, I've never felt a big need for more dirt-oriented tires- at least for the "cost" of more than a little pavemrnt capability. I would try Pirelli MT60s (especially in the winter) if they came in the appropriate sizes for the 950; but the stock Scorpions are pretty good. You'd think that with the number of big twin s-m type bikes coming out Pirelli or some other factory would introduce an MT60 type tire.

Otoh, for these moderate paces, Doc's opinion is the SE on knobbies is not all that bad on the pavement.

What can I say- we're still both convinced we made the best choice

PS: you 950SM (and other similar bike) owners- keep an eye on the East Forum for a couple of "ultimate" s-m type rides coming up in the next few weeks as Julio and I try to have a mixed surface route smackdown to see if NJ or NY rules
Old 09-30-2007, 12:58 PM   #264
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow

For this kind of riding, I've never felt a big need for more dirt-oriented tires- at least for the "cost" of more than a little pavemrnt capability. I would try Pirelli MT60s (especially in the winter) if they came in the appropriate sizes for the 950; but the stock Scorpions are pretty good. You'd think that with the number of big twin s-m type bikes coming out Pirelli or some other factory would introduce an MT60 type tire.
I ran 17's w/ Avon Distanzia SM's on my 640Adv for a while, and they are probably the best all-around motorcycle tire I've ever used. Sport-tire sticky on pavement, and surprisingly good on gravel. Too bad they don't make a rear suitable for a 5.5" rim. I think people would love them on the 950SM, Uly, Multi, new Tiger, etc.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:00 PM   #265
mrkennethporter
Escaped Lunatic Beware!

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Very nice +300 miler today- chasing Doc around his SE. Lot of medium speed dirt and pavement (and near pavement) as we reversed part on the njtat route from Flemington to near High Point. Wasn't as dusty as I expected, but still....

Otoh, for these moderate paces, Doc's opinion is the SE on knobbies is not all that bad on the pavement.

PS: you 950SM (and other similar bike) owners- keep an eye on the East Forum for a couple of "ultimate" s-m type rides coming up in the next few weeks as Julio and I try to have a mixed surface route smackdown to see if NJ or NY rules
you should be ashamed by those massive chicken strips
Old 09-30-2007, 05:24 PM   #266
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Quote:

I gave up on trying to find the right tire and just bought a 950SE last week to go with the SM.... ....the Karoo's are "ish" on the street and feel better than expected but they have nothing on the SM...put a more street friendly tire on the SE and you will be craving more front brake....
Old 09-30-2007, 06:02 PM   #267
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
...put a more street friendly tire on the SE and you will be craving more front brake....

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:52 PM   #268
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkennethporter
you should be ashamed by those massive chicken strips
Don't really need to lean much to keep up with an SE.

wpbarlow screwed with this post 10-01-2007 at 05:47 PM
Old 10-07-2007, 09:42 AM   #269
jcarlson9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
950 jetting

did you ever change needle settings ?.got mine last week and its not running cleanly right off idle,too lean i think.
jcarlson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:33 PM   #270
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlson9
did you ever change needle settings ?.got mine last week and its not running cleanly right off idle,too lean i think.
Nope. ther than an occassional stall when stopped, the bike has run pretty much perfectly since day 1. One of the reasons I haven't changed the exhaust system.