Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2007, 10:46 AM   #286
Milhaus
Made in Denmark

Oddometer: 3,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow
The 950SM is a lot better doing the highway drone than I expected- especially with the windscreen I have (Hyde Racing). There is very little (virtually no) helmet wind buffeting, and the only place I really feel any wind pressure is at my shoulder blades/arm sockets- which only really became noticeable after I put on the risers. Otoh, I've never pounded out more than 2 hours of highway at any time on it so can't say if it would get painfully annoying.

Clearly it's not the best choice for a freeway flier. Then again, neither is the Tuono; tough I think it's a little better becase of the more leaned over riding position (ditto the Superduke or any naked sportbike for that matter).

But I doubt that you'd be considering any of these bikes if highway performance was high on the list. It's just something to use to get to where you really want to ride. In that context, it's fine.
Thanks Walter...this would clearly not be a freeway cruiser for me, but since I live really close to I-25, I-70, & I-80, a certain amount of freeway travel is inevitable. But I would only use these highways to link me to secondary roads, which is where I prefer to ride. None of the bikes on my list are great at highway travel, I just want to know if I will get pissed off after 50 miles of buffeting.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:19 AM   #287
Tang
Lurker...

Oddometer: 23
Hey guys,

I recently wrote off my 06 GSXR 750 and am set on getting a 950SM with the insurance payout. I have been trawling the net and cant seem to find anyone that is willing to say a bad thing about the bike (well after a few mods have been done).

One quick question though, how do the wheels handle to off road abuse that some of you guys have alluded to? I would have thought the traditional spoked wheels would have been the way to go? or is it not really an issue as with mild jumps the bike will bottom out anyways?

Unfortunately i cant get out and ride one for the next month or two as i broke a bone in my hand, but damn im excited already!
Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 02:22 PM   #288
wsdbikes
New Max is Mad

Oddometer: 1,281
You may want to go with the SE if you plan to ride some hard off road. the SM is great on dirt or gravel roads and capable of light single track but, it is NOT a dirt bike. the pipe is right under the frame and will bottom out. also a couple oil lines exposed under there.

SE with a set of street wheels Thats the way I would go. Or and SE and a SD. oh Yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tang
Hey guys,

I recently wrote off my 06 GSXR 750 and am set on getting a 950SM with the insurance payout. I have been trawling the net and cant seem to find anyone that is willing to say a bad thing about the bike (well after a few mods have been done).

One quick question though, how do the wheels handle to off road abuse that some of you guys have alluded to? I would have thought the traditional spoked wheels would have been the way to go? or is it not really an issue as with mild jumps the bike will bottom out anyways?

Unfortunately i cant get out and ride one for the next month or two as i broke a bone in my hand, but damn im excited already!

"I only wish I had video running when WSD did a no footed can-can over some boulders on mainline....two feet of air easy..." -Abdelhub
Yeah, on the GS http://vimeo.com/3232838

Notable Past-'01 KLR 250, 95 R1100GS, 06 KTM 950 SM, 69 Bridgestone 90
wsdbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:03 PM   #289
Milhaus
Made in Denmark

Oddometer: 3,010
Walter, et al...

Thanks in part to this thread and in part to KTMs Traveling Demo Dayz, I took the first steps in owning a 2006 KTM 950 SM today! Working the details now!

Thanks guys!
Old 11-07-2007, 06:09 PM   #290
backdrifter
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Hey guys,

The SM versus the SE is obviously a personal choice ending in a compromise in either on road or off road performance. Personally, I think the SM is just as capable off road as the SE is on road, if that makes sense. I've had mine on some light single track trails now and was very surprised at how well it did. Wsdbikes is correct though, the exhaust is under the engine. With a little ingenuity you could rig up a custom skid plate though. I bottomed out my SM pretty hard one time. I was jumping some steep railroad tracks before I stiffened up the suspension. I landed hard and heard a hell of a bang. I was pretty freaked out because I couldn't remember if the lowest part was the engine casing or the exhaust. Luckily it's the exhaust, and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it held up. A big scrape is all the header pipe had on it. Not too shabby.

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:44 AM   #291
Tang
Lurker...

I intend to do more on road riding than off road, but would like to do a bit of dirt and light single track. Would there be any benifit in getting laced wheels, or will the cast alloy 5 spokes do the trick for what how i want to ride?
Old 11-08-2007, 07:11 AM   #292
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,991
Quote:
I intend to do more on road riding than off road, but would like to do a bit of dirt and light single track. Would there be any benifit in getting laced wheels, or will the cast alloy 5 spokes do the trick for what how i want to ride?

The stock rims should be fine. Brents347 did up a set of wire wheels for his SM. I think they looked great on the bike, but were a bit of work. Kept at 17", there's really not much to be gained.

And I pretty much agree with what Backdrifter said previously.
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:14 PM   #293
Dirt Hooker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
950 SM header pipe

Great thread guys. I like all the LC8 series and would like to own any/all of them. I started a thread elsewhere regarding the SE header on the SM. For the way I ride, I don't like the oil line and exhaust under the engine. I read that it's not possible to $$$ to put the SE header on the SM. Has anyone fabbed up a custom head pipe? Why have I seen 2005 SM's with the header on the side like the SE? Did KTM change a design that prevented that setup on current models. Just wondering
Dirt Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 12:13 AM   #294
Tang
Lurker...

Interested to know too =)

Perhaps it would be easier to fab up a custom vented skid plate?
Old 11-10-2007, 06:18 AM   #295
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Hooker
... Why have I seen 2005 SM's with the header on the side like the SE? Did KTM change a design that prevented that setup on current models. Just wondering
The 950SM pre-production prototype had the SE style pipe. It was changed (according to one of the project engineers) to what it is for two reasons:
1) better mid range and top end
2) concerns over the heat transfer to a passenger - the theory being that thet SM was more likely to be used with a passenger.

I read this a few years ago, but didn't save the source. Probably still floating around somwhere in the ether.

Here's a picture of Sir Alan riding a pre-production version
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fi.../photo_01.html
Old 11-11-2007, 02:29 PM   #296
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

7878 Miles

Just another kick ass NJ mixed surface ride today on an ass kickn' bike

Other than a rear brake that continues squeals like a pig (boy) just before stopping, nothing else negative to report.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:28 PM   #297
shelberford
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Brake fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow
Just another kick ass NJ mixed surface ride today on an ass kickn' bike

Other than a rear brake that continues squeals like a pig (boy) just before stopping, nothing else negative to report.

Hey Walter,
Just thought I would drop in and let SM riders know that there is a fix for the rear brake MOAN. I had luck swapping out the metallic pads for organics. Rear brake is quiet on my SM now. Can't really tell a difference in power or modulation. Most KTM shops should have the organics in stock.

Enjoy,
Lee

shelberford screwed with this post 11-12-2007 at 05:41 PM
shelberford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:06 PM   #298
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

8019 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelberford
Hey Walter,
Just thought I would drop in and let SM riders know that there is a fix for the rear brake MOAN. I had luck swapping out the metallic pads for organics. Rear brake is quiet on my SM now. Can't really tell a difference in power or modulation. Most KTM shops should have the organics in stock.
Lee
Or... I can just ride in the rain The rear was totally silent all day today. Moderate rain on the way to the start point; then the morning spent on wet road twisties. Even after the sun came out th brake stayed quiet. Temporary I'm sure. I've heard some people say the organics quiet it and others that it didn't. I'll try them when I need brakes.

Did a nice (if damp) 85 mile wet multi surface twisty ride today. If you like to ride in the wet (and maybe especially if you don't);l the 950SM is a really good wet road bike- in addition to handling that lets you put it exactly where you want, it spools up the power nice and smooth, the brakes are easily modulated, and the bike just "sits" well in turns. The Scorpions work real well- even when the hard pack dirt roads have that thin layer of mud on them. Got it up to GPS 108 on such a dirt road today and it wasn't bad. In Homer terms, the bike is like donuts-- "is there nothing they can't do?"

Old 11-21-2007, 02:13 PM   #299
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

8134 miles

Nothing unsual to report-- just wanted a reason to post some pictures from a ride today that give you some idea of the beautiful color we're having so late in the year.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:48 PM   #300
wsdbikes
New Max is Mad

Oddometer: 1,281
great colors. I almost wish I was back in jersey to ride a bit on the SM. Didnt have a bike the whole 2 years I was there.

[quote=wpbarlow]Nothing unsual to report-- just wanted a reason to post some pictures from a ride today that give you some idea of the beautiful color we're having so late in the year.

"I only wish I had video running when WSD did a no footed can-can over some boulders on mainline....two feet of air easy..." -Abdelhub
Yeah, on the GS http://vimeo.com/3232838

Notable Past-'01 KLR 250, 95 R1100GS, 06 KTM 950 SM, 69 Bridgestone 90
wsdbikes is offline   Reply With Quote