Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2010, 08:04 AM   #3031
expatbrit
Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke78
Class Pics! I remember doing the same on me old Duke2! Amazing feeling
I took the class on my Sprint and enjoyed it AND learnt a lot. Need to get back out there on the Katoom...
expatbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #3032
awork13
Gas was made to burn

Oddometer: 313
Well the FCR's are in.... What a pain. The cables do not route the way the factory routing is done. Wayyyyyy to lean down low. I just got done adjusting the needles and fuel screws, I didnt even pull the tank to do it. I've got jets on order, they wont get here soon enough.

One problem is that there is an allen bolt right above the accell pump that should have had a sealing washer on it. Needless to say, It leaked fuel everytime time you twisted the throttle. I simply put Honda bond on it and it no longer leaks, well hopefully.

awork13 screwed with this post 01-13-2010 at 09:20 PM
awork13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:12 PM   #3033
aeronaut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by awork13
Well the FCR's are in.... What a pain. The cables do not route the way the factory routing is done. Wayyyyyy to lean down low. I just got done adjusting the needles and fuel screws, I didnt even pull the tank to do it. I've got jets on order, they wont get here soon enough.

One problem is that there is an allen bolt right above the accell pump that should have had a sealing washer on it. Needless to say, It leaked fuel everytime time you twisted the throttle. I simply put Honda bond on it and it no longer leaks, well hopefully.
Keep us updated!
aeronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:39 AM   #3034
gallinastrips
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Am thinking of picking up a 950 Supermoto and wondering how they do with the carbs with lots of elevation changes? I live in Northern New Mexico and ride into Colorado a lot, so I ride from about 6,500' to 10,000' in elevation. How do these bikes handle it? I had a 06 625smc with single carb and it did good.

Thanks
gallinastrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #3035
Big-K
Motorhead

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallinastrips
Am thinking of picking up a 950 Supermoto and wondering how they do with the carbs with lots of elevation changes? I live in Northern New Mexico and ride into Colorado a lot, so I ride from about 6,500' to 10,000' in elevation. How do these bikes handle it? I had a 06 625smc with single carb and it did good.

Thanks
live in northern Utah. Start at 4200' ride up to about 8500' or so routinely over the summer (canyon running up to the ski resorts). No running quality issues at all. With my big ass, I can feel a little loss of power, but nothing more than with any other naturally aspirated bike.
Big-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #3036
iammemares
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
KTM is in town

KTM is bringing its Demo truck to Motohouse KTM in Phoenix on Sat. I am gonna head down there and get a ride on a SMT and hopefully a duke 690.

Motohouse used to be and independant dealer but was recently purchased by GO AZ motorcycles which also owns scottsdale BMW, ducati, triumph and honda. GO AZ is owned by GO DADDY!

Though I have no intention of moving out of my SMR, i want to know what a SMT is like for future referrence.

I will let you know my thoughts after the ride.
iammemares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:41 PM   #3037
awork13
Gas was made to burn

Dang, that 2010 990 SMR sure is Hot looking....
Old 01-15-2010, 05:41 AM   #3038
aeronaut
Gnarly Adventurer

How come the US KTM web site shows only the 690SMC as the only supermoto available? No mention of the 990.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:42 AM   #3039
aeronaut
Gnarly Adventurer

Sunny and 52 forecast for today, I'm going riding on my new suspension!
Old 01-15-2010, 05:58 AM   #3040
aeronaut
Gnarly Adventurer

I need to replace my front brake pads. I tend to go with stock when there's nothing major wrong out of the box. BUT, anyone have a better recommendation?

If I could choose, I'd pick a pad with ever so slightly less initial bite, and ever so slightly more progressive feel.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:07 AM   #3041
awork13
Gas was made to burn

Ktm are always slw to update their web site. Dont worry the 2010's are coming.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:20 AM   #3042
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut
Sunny and 52 forecast for today, I'm going riding on my new suspension!
Enjoy your ride Aero, you know I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Moto-Pro suspension work.

I'm heading down to DC for the IMS show Saturday then I'm picking my SMR up from the shop on my way home. I haven't even seen my 950 in months so I'm excited about the reunion. Battley has spent a fair bit of time redoing the jetting work so that's well sorted and all the minor accident damage has long since been repaired.

If you are well pleased with your suspension results I'll likely send my forks off to MP too, may have them service the shock while I'm at it. Since I won't be able to ride for a few more months at least I can enjoy doing some wrenching during my down time.
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:08 PM   #3043
aeronaut
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyMo
Enjoy your ride Aero, you know I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Moto-Pro suspension work.

I'm heading down to DC for the IMS show Saturday then I'm picking my SMR up from the shop on my way home. I haven't even seen my 950 in months so I'm excited about the reunion. Battley has spent a fair bit of time redoing the jetting work so that's well sorted and all the minor accident damage has long since been repaired.

If you are well pleased with your suspension results I'll likely send my forks off to MP too, may have them service the shock while I'm at it. Since I won't be able to ride for a few more months at least I can enjoy doing some wrenching during my down time.
Well, the roads are still too slimy and cold to do anything near fun. So I still don't know much more than the original ride. So no comment on if I've gotten rid of the bump-steer or how well trail-braking works, two of the many things that are crap on stock forks. BUT...there is no doubt it's MUCH more compliant over the bumps and crap of Baltimore streets. No more sharp jolts through the handlebars. There is no doubt that I'd go with Moto-Pro over SuperPlush. The forks are now obviously more compliant than the shock. I asked John to valve them for agressive street riding and random track days. I'd put the compliance somewhere between my FZ1 (valved for aggressive sport touring, and spot on) and say a Triumph Street Triple-R which has pretty firm forks (overly firm IMO). For what I've done so far, these are looking really good...but again, lots to investigate yet.

Now, for the shock. It's better than stock, but isn't as compliant as the fork. I plan to increase the preload a bit to get the shock up higher in the stroke and higher in the progressive range to see if that smooths things out a tad. It's close, and not harsh at all, just doesn't seem matched with the fork. If I had to put a number on it, I'd say they are 20% harsher than the forks, if that makes sense. Just a bit sharper on sharp bumps. I might call John to discuss. Oh, and I haven't touched the settings yet.

Everyone should know I'm being pretty picky. I've ridden or owned some bikes with fantastic suspension; my revalved FZ1 and an Ohlins fitted Aprilia Mille RSV R for example, and I see no reason the SM should be any less than those.
Overall, I'm still happy with the current version from MotoPro, I just don't have enough riding yet.

Hope that helps.

aeronaut screwed with this post 01-16-2010 at 06:02 AM
Old 01-16-2010, 05:10 PM   #3044
iammemares
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Smt?

So firstly thanks to KTM and Motohouse in Phoenix for hosting the demo ride.

I like the way KTM does rides.

I rode the SMT and the 690 Duke.

Neither met my expectation.

First the SMT and in comparison to my jetted and piped SMR with a custom RMC seat and 690 windscreen.
The SMT is a bit wider in the tank and you sit up a bit higher it seems. Not sure if this is true, but the sense is that I am on the bike as opposed to in the bike. Maybe its the wider tank. The wind protection is little if any better than the 690 screen on my SMR. Ergonomically sits very much the same. The seat is better than the stock SMR seat, but CLEARLY worse than my RMC seat. I can ride on my RMC seat for hours and not feel hot spots. I was getting uncomfortable on the SMT after 15 minutes. Also the seat does not go as far up the tank, so its not quite as easy to move forward on the bike. Dynamically, for my needs, I did not care for the soft engine and chassis character of the SMT. The engine is smoother, especially at higher RPM and there is more intake sound. Other than these 2 points, I would take my carbed 950 any day and twice on Sunday. The 990FI is still very snatchy and I am sorry KTM, there is NO EXCUSE for this. Get it together on your FI!!!! The 990 in the SMT felt soft from a Trq. perspective. The motor simply does not hit like my 950 does. It is smother and may pull harder up high, but it doesnt come off a corner like my 950. Period!! Chassis was set up quite soft. Too compliant for me with lots of sprung mass motion, especially with the snatchy throttle. It was very comoftable in the city however. The most confusing thing for me was the steering and head shake character. Everyone knows the SM(R) turns quickly and easily and can be sensitive to HS. I do not use a damper and have NO CONCERNS with the stability or HS on my SMR. I ride fairly hard and the fronty end is light frequently. I cannot remeber the last time I had HS. I found the SMT worse for this. Disturbingly so. If I oscillated the bars near center at highway speed the natural damping was poor. Very little locked on center feel. I thought this would have been better on the SMT??? Overall the SMT feels smoother, quieter and more refined than my SMR. It was also not nearly as engaging to ride. But this refined character may make it more appropriate for touring? I found NO reason to move from a properly running SMR to a SMT. I have a screen and 3 bags just like the SMT.

The 690 Duke was more interesting and similar to my SMR from a character perspective. The 690 is impressive and smooth for a big single, but of course flat compared to a 950! The Duke felt a little more nimble and light than my SMR, but not as big a difference as I expected.

The SMT with some tuning and chassis set up may be possible to bring closer to the character and feel of a SM.

The previous owner of my SMR had a problem with the OE motor at 68 miles. A fatal oiling problem. He is quite tight with KTM and actually runs a motorcycle lodge using KTMs. Apparently a big stink was made about the motor failing and KTM built him a fresh and healthy one special, shipped it over, installed the fresh motor and extended the warranty. This is all confirmed in warranty history. He also did the pipe and jetting. He led me to believe that this motor is a bit healthier than average. It may be true. I dunno? But I can tell you my SMR runs like a stripped ass zebra. Pulls clearly harder than the 990 SMT, at least below 6K.

So, very happy KTM is back in the states and the SMT is a cool bike. Also very happy to be riding a SMR!

If you have specific questions about the SMT, let me know.
iammemares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #3045
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,334
FWIW, for those in the Washington, DC metro area - JT Motorsports was at the Cycle World show and they had a new SMT and an RC8R on display. Jim Palmer (owner) says he's trying to get KTM to do a demo day in April.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote