Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #3046
Willis
Don't want a pickle...

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammemares
So firstly thanks to KTM and Motohouse in Phoenix for hosting the demo ride.

I like the way KTM does rides.

I rode the SMT and the 690 Duke.

Neither met my expectation.

First the SMT and in comparison to my jetted and piped SMR with a custom RMC seat and 690 windscreen.
The SMT is a bit wider in the tank and you sit up a bit higher it seems. Not sure if this is true, but the sense is that I am on the bike as opposed to in the bike. Maybe its the wider tank. The wind protection is little if any better than the 690 screen on my SMR. Ergonomically sits very much the same. The seat is better than the stock SMR seat, but CLEARLY worse than my RMC seat. I can ride on my RMC seat for hours and not feel hot spots. I was getting uncomfortable on the SMT after 15 minutes. Also the seat does not go as far up the tank, so its not quite as easy to move forward on the bike. Dynamically, for my needs, I did not care for the soft engine and chassis character of the SMT. The engine is smoother, especially at higher RPM and there is more intake sound. Other than these 2 points, I would take my carbed 950 any day and twice on Sunday. The 990FI is still very snatchy and I am sorry KTM, there is NO EXCUSE for this. Get it together on your FI!!!! The 990 in the SMT felt soft from a Trq. perspective. The motor simply does not hit like my 950 does. It is smother and may pull harder up high, but it doesnt come off a corner like my 950. Period!! Chassis was set up quite soft. Too compliant for me with lots of sprung mass motion, especially with the snatchy throttle. It was very comoftable in the city however. The most confusing thing for me was the steering and head shake character. Everyone knows the SM(R) turns quickly and easily and can be sensitive to HS. I do not use a damper and have NO CONCERNS with the stability or HS on my SMR. I ride fairly hard and the fronty end is light frequently. I cannot remeber the last time I had HS. I found the SMT worse for this. Disturbingly so. If I oscillated the bars near center at highway speed the natural damping was poor. Very little locked on center feel. I thought this would have been better on the SMT??? Overall the SMT feels smoother, quieter and more refined than my SMR. It was also not nearly as engaging to ride. But this refined character may make it more appropriate for touring? I found NO reason to move from a properly running SMR to a SMT. I have a screen and 3 bags just like the SMT.

The 690 Duke was more interesting and similar to my SMR from a character perspective. The 690 is impressive and smooth for a big single, but of course flat compared to a 950! The Duke felt a little more nimble and light than my SMR, but not as big a difference as I expected.

The SMT with some tuning and chassis set up may be possible to bring closer to the character and feel of a SM.

The previous owner of my SMR had a problem with the OE motor at 68 miles. A fatal oiling problem. He is quite tight with KTM and actually runs a motorcycle lodge using KTMs. Apparently a big stink was made about the motor failing and KTM built him a fresh and healthy one special, shipped it over, installed the fresh motor and extended the warranty. This is all confirmed in warranty history. He also did the pipe and jetting. He led me to believe that this motor is a bit healthier than average. It may be true. I dunno? But I can tell you my SMR runs like a stripped ass zebra. Pulls clearly harder than the 990 SMT, at least below 6K.

So, very happy KTM is back in the states and the SMT is a cool bike. Also very happy to be riding a SMR!

If you have specific questions about the SMT, let me know.
I'm glad I built my 990SM, espically since there will be no 990sm for 2010
Old 01-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #3047
aeronaut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
iammemares, nice write up. I agree 100% with the KTMs FI, no excuses. Period. It is THE reason I bought an SM and not an SD. Otherwise, I guess it makes sense that the SMT has 'rounded edges' compared to the SM/R. I've had no interest in the SMT, and your review supports that.

Also, I'd heard the same about the 690, that it's actually not that much lighter feeling than the SM/R. I have yet to test ride a 690 and need to. I'd love to ring the crap out of one during a track day.
aeronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:35 PM   #3048
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
Sat on the SMT today, I agree the seat feels pretty nice for the brief time spent on it. I noticed the peg to seat distance felt at least an inch tighter then on my SMR. I'll demo one once I'm back on the road. It was cool to see one in person here in the US in January. I hope they sell well. Also took a look at the new Duck Multi Strada, not to bad looking in Black but it's going to be close to $20k with all the options.

Having owned a 690 at the same time as my SMR, the only track days I'd do with one would have to be very tight track. The 690 wasn't much fun over 90 mph. It would pull 115 but didn't really feel that comfy doing so. I agree my SMR steers nearly as quickly as my 690 did. The only advantage I felt with the 690 was in super tight stuff with hard breaking zones, then the weight of the 950 is noticeable. I'm also very happy with the SMR.
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:47 PM   #3049
awork13
Gas was made to burn

Oddometer: 312
Well, I just spent some time trying to get the jetting dialed in on them dang FCR's. They are a pain, if you get them, make sure you can balance the carbs... I finally got my jets in and they sent the wrong size. (52 ordered got a 50) Thankfully I ordered some 55's as well. I popped in the 50's and it popped threw the rear carb at 2000rpm. Changed up to the 55 and fuel screws at 1 3/4F 2R and it revs nice and cleanly. Now I just need to ride it ad see what happens.
awork13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:50 PM   #3050
chimp
KTM convert

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by awork13
Well, I just spent some time trying to get the jetting dialed in on them dang FCR's. They are a pain, if you get them, make sure you can balance the carbs... I finally got my jets in and they sent the wrong size. (52 ordered got a 50) Thankfully I ordered some 55's as well. I popped in the 50's and it popped threw the rear carb at 2000rpm. Changed up to the 55 and fuel screws at 1 3/4F 2R and it revs nice and cleanly. Now I just need to ride it ad see what happens.
Let me now how you go. Would like to compare it with mine over here.
chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:22 PM   #3051
awork13
Gas was made to burn

Well back from the test ride....This thing is still way lean. Before I even started I made sure that I got rid of the backfire through the rear carb (No leaks, I checked) So I adjusted the slow air jet out 3 turns for a total of 5. It helped a ton. While riding it still felt lean down low a little, and def. lean on the needle. So on to adjusting more.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:26 PM   #3052
aeronaut
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Well back from the test ride....This thing is still way lean. Before I even started I made sure that I got rid of the backfire through the rear carb (No leaks, I checked) So I adjusted the slow air jet out 3 turns for a total of 5. It helped a ton. While riding it still felt lean down low a little, and def. lean on the needle. So on to adjusting more.
Keep the faith!
Old 01-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #3053
awork13
Gas was made to burn

Dove back in, set her up to this so far...

3 turns out fuel screws
5 turns out slow air screws
55 pilots
6th clip needle
175 mains.

Trying to make it rich enough to make it run like crap and tune it from that... Its alot easier that way for me.

I'll ride it when it stops raining.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:48 PM   #3054
doctor_big
It hurts when I fall down

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Trying to make it rich enough to make it run like crap and tune it from that... Its alot easier that way for me.
My father used to say that carburetor is French for "leave it alone."

Jason
doctor_big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:04 PM   #3055
awork13
Gas was made to burn

You cant leave FCR's alone... My stock carbs where tuned to a "T"

NOTE TO SELF: Dont test ride your bike with the sync hose plugs out... It makes you go crazy. I adjusted more stuff. We will see if it runs better tomorrow.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #3056
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,875
950SM guys,
Is the 950 KTM super moto tank bag part # 625 12 019 100 still available ??
It's the grey one without straps.
I've got one on my SE & love it. I want a new one as mine is showing some
wear. I dont see it listed in the newer hard parts books.
Or does anybody have a LIKE NEW one for sale or trade ?? PM me if so.
Thanks for your replies.
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #3057
aeronaut
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog
950SM guys,
Is the 950 KTM super moto tank bag part # 625 12 019 100 still available ??
It's the grey one without straps.
I've got one on my SE & love it. I want a new one as mine is showing some
wear. I dont see it listed in the newer hard parts books.
Or does anybody have a LIKE NEW one for sale or trade ?? PM me if so.
Thanks for your replies.
This is the triangular shaped one that zips to its base? And the base fits under the front section of the seat? If so, no, it's no longer available. I found one on ebay last year, and snatched it up.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #3058
Brown Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut
OHHH...sorry... I was thinking of this tank bag, which isn't available anymore.
This is the tank bag i want
Old 01-18-2010, 06:28 PM   #3059
Brown Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut
This is the triangular shaped one that zips to its base? And the base fits under the front section of the seat? If so, no, it's no longer available. I found one on ebay last year, and snatched it up.
Yes thats it. I was watching that bag on ebay but let it get away
Old 01-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #3060
aeronaut
Gnarly Adventurer

Yea, it's the perfect design for the 950SM.