Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2008, 06:52 AM   #376
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsdbikes
Question, how many riders do you think could really tell the difference?
be honest.
another - for those that could, how often are they able to push the bike to the point that the reduced weight can be noticed.
one more - on a 12k bike, is it a worth it? A third of the cost of the bike? If you arent racing?
Of course, I will say that the carbon wheel were the first upgrade I looked for. Cheers.
For the first two- from my experience, I think most riders who have any cognizance of a bike's steering and suspension would notice significantly lighter wheels; especially if they rode examples back to back. The turn-in is quicker and livlier and the suspension action is smoother and more progressive. Plus it allows softer settings wthout giving up anything. The first time I tried it (on a last gen 900SS) I was shocked at the difference. Ditto the 2nd time (on a 916). And this was at a street pace. Never did it on a track, but suspect it would be at least as noticeable. I have an HRC mag wheel on my RC30 (hard to beleive how light it is), but don't have a valid back to back comparison because the stock RC rear is an 18 incher and the tire choices/profiles are totally different.

To your next point though- it's a real big expense; and I've never been able to cost justify the amount (The HRC wheel came with the bike).
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:23 AM   #377
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsdbikes
Question, how many riders do you think could really tell the difference?
I would hope nearly everyone with any kind of a clue. Same thing goes for suspension upgrades. Will it make most people faster? Probably not. Few people have the skills to push modern sporty bikes to their limits. But they will enjoy the ride more.
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:14 PM   #378
MULE57
Adventurous Cracker

Oddometer: 42
Pulled the Trigger

Curse you Barlow for such a great thread. I got a ride on both the 950 and 690 at Factory demo days in N GA last fall and pulled the trigger this week on a 07 950 SMR. The most fun that I've had on a street bike in my life. In my search for the best deal I found a huge gap between dealers who would not come a dime off list and those who were ready to give deep discounts. I opted for the latter. It's bone stock for now but performance mods will follow soon.
MULE57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:30 PM   #379
mrkennethporter
Escaped Lunatic Beware!

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow
For the first two- from my experience, I think most riders who have any cognizance of a bike's steering and suspension would notice significantly lighter wheels; especially if they rode examples back to back. The turn-in is quicker and livlier and the suspension action is smoother and more progressive. Plus it allows softer settings wthout giving up anything. The first time I tried it (on a last gen 900SS) I was shocked at the difference. Ditto the 2nd time (on a 916). And this was at a street pace. Never did it on a track, but suspect it would be at least as noticeable. I have an HRC mag wheel on my RC30 (hard to beleive how light it is), but don't have a valid back to back comparison because the stock RC rear is an 18 incher and the tire choices/profiles are totally different.

To your next point though- it's a real big expense; and I've never been able to cost justify the amount (The HRC wheel came with the bike).

I would think it would be hard to keep the front wheel down with the light wheel.

I would love a set. love my bike most on a short circuit. It already has an advantage(in my opinion) over sports bikes in the corners. Just think what carbon wheel would do....
Old 02-10-2008, 07:57 AM   #380
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULE57
Curse you Barlow for such a great thread. ...
and 4 U!
Old 02-10-2008, 08:06 AM   #381
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

8418 miles

Cold, blustery, intermittent drizzle and snow flurries; but nothing like a little SM to brighten up the day

Buell, oddly enough, supplied enough of an impetus to go for a ride. They're offering a pretty nice neck gaiter (see their web site for details- you have to print a voucher) as a freebie. So it was suburban assault for a while At least the Harly/Buell dealership had the right color guardrail
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2008, 08:26 AM   #382
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelberford

I think the main reason that leftover SM 950's are still on the sales floors is the Hypermotard. Our local KTM dealer has not sold too many SM's and I was one of the people that did buy one. The local Ducati dealer has sold all of the Hypermotards he can get his hands on. About 4 times as many.

I personally don't think the Hypermotard is a better motorcycle, but it does have more appeal to the masses. The SM IS a better backroad performer and is slightly more practical, but is an aquired taste in the styling department. I for one am glad to hear the news. I have been stunned at how fast the value went down on a great motorcycle.
I test rode and loved the 950SM. 3 things kept me from buying. I could go a mile up the road and buy an '08 Hypermoto for less than the KTM dealer wanted for either one of his 2 leftover '06 950SMs.
Internet research on the 950 motor left serious doubts as to the reliability of the motor, especially water and fuel pumps. The air cooled Ducati motor now has a good rep' for durability. I get the impression 950 maintenance is even more intense than for the Ducati. Water pumps as a wear item at 10K?? Really?? Who can afford that?
And #3, not bike related, the day I sold my Triumph and went to pick up my HM I got laid off.
I would prefer the 950 in black to the HM. I like the larger tank and feel it would be better on the Forest Service roads. But not with the durability questions hanging over it.

Plus, now I see leftover Buell Lightning TTs out there for under $10,000...
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:46 AM   #383
reconsmr
Banned

Oddometer: 1,522
18,000 miles on my Adv with no WP, FP or any issues at all. New 950 was not a concern, I have 2 in the garage now and the guys with miles and dirt in the mirrow without any problems far outnumber the riders with issues. A WP is a one hour rebuild IF it leaks. The FP is a simple rewire repair from our vendor threads here too, IF it fails. Run that Duc agressively thru dirt, dust, sand and water like some riders here and a few bugs are likely to show up, no idea if they would be the easily repaired 950KTM problems but they would show up. 7k on my SMR, 1k of all dirt on my 950, nary a stumble and its been tank deep in water, tossed and tumbles down a rocky mountain and up to the axels in mud and snow.

"I would prefer the 950 in black to the HM." That says it all, your already spending a sh@tload of $, why compromise?
reconsmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:39 AM   #384
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster
...Internet research on the 950 motor left serious doubts as to the reliability of the motor, especially water and fuel pumps.
.... I like the larger tank and feel it would be better on the Forest Service roads. But not with the durability questions hanging over it.
What did internet research turn up other than water and fuel pumps that led you to have reliability concerns with the engine?

But staying on these two issues: the fuel pump will probably prove not to be an issue on the SM's (maybe SEs also) because the location is different on the 950A. And I don't remember reading any stories of 950SM/SE water pump problems; and the SM has been available for 3 years. Overall, SMs, and SEs for that matter- given how many of them are used, have been pretty much trouble free. But if they turn out to be an issue, I'll deal with it. (as an aside, my 950A has +20k miles on it with the original fuel pump and though I replaced the water pump at 20k miles, it hadn't failed, it was "just because").

The HM is a pretty nice bike for what it is- but it is the bad/off pavement prowess that makes the 950SM so nice.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:25 AM   #385
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
Umm, starter clutch issues were another item when I originally came here asking for feedback last year (950SM Waterpump Issues, When/If or something like that). Only a few folks responded. Half of them had issues. Looking in the OC, seems like the same basic motor in the Adv has a LOT of water pump failures.
Plus, the HM is lighter, in this particular case was cheaper, and has twice the warranty.

I was just sharing why I didn't end up with a 950SM in my particular case. I loved the bike, but to the average punter doing research it's an off brand bike with issues.
It's a moot point for now anyway. I work in the sawmill industry, which means the whole sub-prime fiasco has hit us hard. I've been laid off 8 weeks of the last 46 and am laid off now, so it looks like I'm going to set a personal best record for having gone the longest without having bought a new bike since I turned 16.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:37 PM   #386
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster
Umm, starter clutch issues were another item when I originally came here asking for feedback last year ...
but to the average punter doing research it's an off brand bike with issues.
Forgot about the klacker- and I shouldn't have, as I had to get it replaced (before failure) under warranty. Hardly a show stopper.
And you're also right that it's probably not for an average punter; though I suspect KTM will be working to make it more "normal" from a reliability pov- just as Ducat has done- and it won't take KTM the ~20 years it took Ducati

Anyway, good luck on the employment front.

wpbarlow screwed with this post 02-11-2008 at 10:56 AM
Old 02-10-2008, 03:13 PM   #387
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,448
70 miles of hard canyon riding today with a group...startin' to think I am ready for something new...

hypermotard in our group....nope...can't compete with the SM...

Aprilia SXV 550.....nope....500 miles between service...new pistons at 5k

999s.....nope....

guess I will wait for the new 690 sm and take a look....until then...the 950sm is the one....
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:53 AM   #388
jcarlson9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
950 pre filter

This topic is being talked about on the oc fourm,with head to wind,but this applies only to the sm.does anyone know if the cosmetic plastic pieces in the front of the frame will have any affect on the pre filter i installed with the head 2 wind jet kit ? mine are out now,but i'll put them back in soon to see if it makes any difference.I also wonder if the jet kit is mainly for the se or adventure ?,I'ts the same engine!
jcarlson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:06 AM   #389
reconsmr
Banned

I ran mine without when I forgot to put them back in and felt no difference. At most I guess they are dust shields and seem to serve little to no purpose. I snapped them back in after a few days of them staring at me from a shelf. Save them till they can be put back on but don't sweat it!
Old 02-11-2008, 10:12 AM   #390
reconsmr
Banned

And you're also right that it's probably not for an average punter; though I suspect KTM will be working to make it more "normal" from a reliability pov- just as Ducat has done- and it won't take KTM the ~20 years it took Ducati

I rode the 690SM yesterday, its already started. The bike felt watered down and lacked that agressive KTM snappiness they all have had. The low end hit is gone, mid feels OK then it signs off at under 8k, under 8k!!! It redlines at 7800!!! No range, no flair, not the race engine I was expecting. They were the motor company but if this is the future I'm going,,,,,where the hell will I go,,,,,friggin BMW will do the same to Husky,,,,,,,G@DD@MMIT! They go big and water down the friggin Kool Aid!!!