Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2010, 01:57 PM   #4006
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,159
Hit the 30K mile mark today. Woot! Still diggin the bike.
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:13 PM   #4007
Grump
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut
I think this is the problem. Most suspension shops are just learning (or not) how to set up a long travel suspension for street (supermoto), and the shops don't see too many WP forks, and add to that the size/weight/characteristics of the 950 'supermoto', and it's a rare combination that doesn't have much experience base. This is why I went with superplush, as James has experience with KTM LC8's and WP forks. Although I don't believe he's done very many 950SM's at all.

One very well known and respected suspension shop I called wanted to install spring rates in my 950SM forks equivalent to typical sport bikes...fork travel would have been cut in half!
The major part of the problem with these forks is severe stiction of the seals which adds to the compression damping . Changing the oil to 2.5 weight and backing off the compression damping completely, helps. Thereafter playing about with the rebound damping and a little spring preload makes the fork action half acceptable. Otherwise a complete rework is the only solution.
Grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:17 PM   #4008
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6
I thought about hard cases and then went with the new Back Roads Moto/Wolfman soft bags.

After I got them I realized that the mounting brackets would work real well with hard bags too.
I prefer soft bags, since I also prefer my feet and ankles w/o compound fractures, and a Wolfman duffel bag. Plenty of volume, easy to put on and take off, and if your foot / ankle gets caught under them on soft trail, they don't snap your ankle..

KHVol screwed with this post 07-18-2010 at 04:30 PM
KHVol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:30 PM   #4009
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,295
The Wolfman setup really worked on my SMR. Two up and three days worth of gear and aside for the fact that I didn't adjust the shocks for the load (think and extra 180 pounds), it worked very well. I use a Wolfman medium dry duffel along with the bags.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:32 PM   #4010
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The Wolfman setup really worked on my SMR. Two up and three days worth of gear and aside for the fact that I didn't adjust the shocks for the load (think and extra 180 pounds), it worked very well. I use a Wolfman medium dry duffel along with the bags.
..just noticed..it looks like they have some new bags and racks, around
$ 500 including racks
Old 07-18-2010, 05:14 PM   #4011
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

That's it. The are made for the Adventure and the Super Enduro. They also fit the SMR.

Where are you in VA KH? We could met and you could take a look, measure them and see it they'll fit an SM.

USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
Old 07-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #4012
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That's it. The are made for the Adventure and the Super Enduro. They also fit the SMR.

Where are you in VA KH? We could met and you could take a look, measure them and see it they'll fit an SM.

I'm in Chesapeake, USMC, right now I'm fine for luggage, do plan on heading up your way in a few weeks and on into WV. Will let ya know when and see if you want to ride.

S/F

KH
Old 07-19-2010, 05:34 AM   #4013
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Gimme a hollar when you do. I have a cabin just outside Wardensville west of the 259/55 intersection.

USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
Old 07-19-2010, 07:40 AM   #4014
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Gimme a hollar when you do. I have a cabin just outside Wardensville west of the 259/55 intersection.
Trout Run, WV and will do...will need some help pre-running the best routes in prep for our Fall SM / SMR Rally....
Old 07-19-2010, 07:59 AM   #4015
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Sounds good. I'm not too far from Trout Run.

USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
Old 07-19-2010, 10:48 AM   #4016
doctor_big
It hurts when I fall down

Oddometer: 680
Sounds like it's gonna be a blast! I'm hugely looking forward to this. I'll be riding down from Toronto, Ontario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol
Trout Run, WV and will do...will need some help pre-running the best routes in prep for our Fall SM / SMR Rally....
Old 07-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #4017
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Hey Bones!

Is your Megamoto the off road model? If it is, and you decide to sell it, I know an inmate who might be looking for one.
Mine is the Megamoto which is the road version, the Enduro it the offroad model.
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:45 PM   #4018
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Thanks. I'll pass it on anyway as he already has an R1150GS and an R1200GS so you never know.

USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
Old 07-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #4019
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,700
Thumb Happy 4th Birthday To Us

Meaning the thread.... You all have made it a great one, so thanks!

And 21,303 (S)miles

New rubber (Pilots) and a used Renazco- courtesy of inmate Milar. Some of you may remember that I had my seat reworked by LLC Solutions-- their work was highly rated by folks in the HSTA/MSTA- a couple years ago. Never liked the result-- different, but no better than stock. An expensive mistake.

I've had mixed results with Renazco-- I like what he did on the Capo seat; but preferred the KTM low gel to the 950 Adventure seat (and I tried 3 other 950 Renazco seats on friend's bikes), and though the SE seat he did was an improvement over stock- it was also 1" taller than stock when I asked for a 1" reduction in height, so I did a trade/sale for a stock seat with a tall friend. I was going to try an XPC seat on the SM, but this one came along at a fair price so I'm giving it a try for a while.

After a couple hundred miles, my opinion is that it's better than the LLC & stock for sure: but not what I'd characterize as a very comfortable seat per se for a day's riding. But I'll give it some time to break in my butt before doing anything else.

Anyway, although only about 300 miles if use, the Pilots are a for-sure pavement improvement over the Syncs as expected. Sets into the turn more progressively and stays there with less effort. Me likely.

Not much in the way of a picture, from a dirt tag retrieval this morning. I'll do better next time.

wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:26 PM   #4020
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Walter, which Pilot?
I'm at 5400 on the rear and while it passed inspection, it'll need replacing soon.

USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67