User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #4561
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,212
KHvol,

I think you misunderstood. Walter is suggesting piggy-backing on the BYOB 2011 event that is scheduled for June 10-12 at the MMI rather than plan our own thing...

I'm in for the BYOB. Supposed to be a good time. I've always wanted to attend one.
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #4562
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
KHvol,

I think you misunderstood. Walter is suggesting piggy-backing on the BYOB 2011 event that is scheduled for June 10-12 at the MMI rather than plan our own thing...

I'm in for the BYOB. Supposed to be a good time. I've always wanted to attend one.
My bad....now I read the whole post
Old 01-09-2011, 08:48 PM   #4563
iammemares
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Battery info

So Thanks for the battery info.

My 07 SMR just had the battery go belly up and it is always on a tender.

I also know that it sat for a year before being sold.

I checked into the Shurai battery and it seems like a great choice but I am not sure I am ready to step up and pay 180 buck for a battery. That is just crazy.

It is like anything associated with a motorcycle has a huge markup. (i.e $18 for a qt of oil???) Same with bicycles.

So at this point I am looking at the BP X2-9 for 72 or the Shurai for 180

Other than this, the SMR has been solid lately. I am always amazed that for a carbed bike, after sitting for a month, it fires instantly and idles. I will be back on the board and posting more frequently.

Hey anyone seen the Ap.1200 Dosoduro in person. I would never get rid of the SMR, but the Aprilia looked good.

I will let you know what I do for a battery.
iammemares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:09 AM   #4564
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,013
www.antigravitybatteries.com

I have the 4 cell in my racebike, and it's incredibly light. Too small for a streetbike with lights mind you, but it cost about the same as a stock repalcement, and weighs 8 lbs less. If you are gonna buy a battery anyways, might as well buy one with some addtional benefits (weight)...... think about what a Ti muffler costs....this battery can save you that kind of weight.
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:20 AM   #4565
iammemares
Gnarly Adventurer

X2-9 vs Shurai

Howdy guys. A few questions for those that have adopted either of these batts for their 950s.

The X2-9 acccording to earlier posts is made by East Penn and is the same as the Braille with the multi mount style terminals. Some have menioned some challenge or modification to the motorycle leads is needed? Anyone know about this. Do the leads in a 950 need to be modified to accept the X2-9 terminals?

Have any of yous picked up the new Shurai LFX 18A1 for your bikes. Significantly smaller and lighter than stock. Use or mounting comments?
Old 01-10-2011, 09:22 AM   #4566
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Here's a description of the cable routing problem I ran into with the X2-9..
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=142

And feedback on the Shorai...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=14890795

Shorai FAQ's
http://www.shoraipower.com/t-faq.aspx

There are several reasons I chose to go with a more expensive LiFePO4 (TurnTech) battery over the AGM Lead Acid replacement batter (X2-9).

1. Much slower self discharge. No battery tender required with the LiFePO4's. Saving me a buck or two on electricity an improving dependability.
2. Improved cold weather cranking performance.
3. Longevity, batter life expectancy is twice that of AGM Lead acid batteries. This fact offsets the added cost IMHO.
4. Some have reported problems with the X2-9 not lasting more than a year. If I only got a year out of a battery I would be very angry..
5. Weight savings, over 6lbs is nice. Now I can eat a bit more... ha!
6. Environmental impact, no lead is a good thing.

Any other battery questions?
NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammemares View Post
Howdy guys. A few questions for those that have adopted either of these batts for their 950s.

The X2-9 acccording to earlier posts is made by East Penn and is the same as the Braille with the multi mount style terminals. Some have menioned some challenge or modification to the motorycle leads is needed? Anyone know about this. Do the leads in a 950 need to be modified to accept the X2-9 terminals?

Have any of yous picked up the new Shurai LFX 18A1 for your bikes. Significantly smaller and lighter than stock. Use or mounting comments?
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #4567
iammemares
Gnarly Adventurer

Turn Tech

R U using the Turn Tech 5.0 AH battery?

Why did you go this route over the Shurai?
Old 01-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #4568
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyMo View Post
It's looking like I'll be there on Saturday.

NM
Looking Like I'll be there too, onl;y it will be Friday.

The IMS website says here is no parking at the facility. Are you going to park close by or park and ride the subway in ?
Old 01-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #4569
iammemares
Gnarly Adventurer

Shell

Rotella T6.

New blend as of last year. Who is running this in their LC8s.

$20 per gallon at Wallmart?? Really?

Lots of info all over the web about riders using the previous blend and now the new T6.

Thoughts.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #4570
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
R U using the Turn Tech 5.0 AH battery?

Why did you go this route over the Shurai?
I'm using a custom 7.5Ah version, Joe built it for me and had it delivered from NV to my home in MD within 4 days. He's fantastic to work with. I went with TurnTech over Shorai because Shorai didn't begin shipping product until December. I needed a battery in October.

I may have made the same choice to go with the TurnTech even if I had the option of the Shorai at the time. Joe is very responsive (replied to my Email on a Sunday night for example) plus local to the US if you have a problem with the product. The level of service he offers may have been worth the extra $$$ to me over the Shorai. I understood from Joe that he'll soon have the 7.5Ah and 10Ah batteries in hard cases, that may be by this time.

Here are a couple of pics for your viewing enjoyment...

Old 01-10-2011, 04:28 PM   #4571
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Rotella T6.

New blend as of last year. Who is running this in their LC8s.

$20 per gallon at Wallmart?? Really?

Lots of info all over the web about riders using the previous blend and now the new T6.

Thoughts.
I can't comment on the shell. I'm sure it's fine. LC8's won't self destruct if you give them oil that didn't come from the KTM dealer ;)

I run Mobil 1 synthetic car oil in mine with no issues, leaks, buring or problems whatsoever.

All I can say on the shell is try it. If your clutch starts slipping, drain it and go back to your old oil.
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #4572
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyMo View Post
It's looking like I'll be there on Saturday.

NM
natty - you wouldn't happen to have a wheel chair you could bring with you (assuming you're caging). I bought tickets ahead of time, before I realized how debilitating the bone graph would be.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:35 PM   #4573
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Very sorry to hear you're suffering. I don't have a wheel chair, sadly.

I had a walker that I gave away, I HATED it, used crutches during my rehab. I was on crutches at the show last year.

I know there are several mobility stores in the DC area. I wonder if you could rent a powered scooter or wheel chair for the day and have it delivered. Maybe the convention center has something to offer.

I'll take a look to see if I can find some options for you.

Edit: Here's a DC mobility company that rents and delivers manual and powered chairs, free delivery too!
http://www.lenoxmedicalsupply.com/rentals.html

DC Convention center ADA info:
http://www.dcconvention.com/Visitors/Accessibility.aspx

NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
natty - you wouldn't happen to have a wheel chair you could bring with you (assuming you're caging). I bought tickets ahead of time, before I realized how debilitating the bone graph would be.

nattyMo screwed with this post 01-10-2011 at 10:45 PM
Old 01-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #4574
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,555
Thanks! I'm going to call the convention center tomorrow and see if they might have one.

Aye aye on the walker. I hated it and gave it to a friend who's mom has terminal cancer.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:46 PM   #4575
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,985
Dunlop D616

These were mentioned briefly on page 24. Has anyone had time with them. Maybe a pic or twelve?
They seem to be fairly popular w/ the Hypermotard Ducati guys. And I know they came standard on the Buell Uly's.