Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2011, 06:16 AM   #4786
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,914
23,380 (S)miles

Big smiles!

We had a break in the weather yesterday (sunny and about 60!) so a couple of us went out for a few hours. Between the knee replacement and very unfriendly for riding weather, it's been almost 4 months since I'd taken more than a 20-30 minute ride. Felt good!
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:57 AM   #4787
Smilin' Dave
I am smiling

Oddometer: 117
Hey Walter thats great! Got a little ride in myself on Sunday but due to salt on the roads, I took the KLR. Sure felt good to be out riding again.
'96 KLR 650
'88 ZX-10
Smilin' Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:26 PM   #4788
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSONG View Post
Yup, you're right, it's 12mm for the collar screw. So, I finally got the front wheel off. Both tires are finally changed, balanced, and ready to go back on.

Thanks for the torque values...although I usually just tighten it by feel. I have a torque wrench...I should probably use it more often.
What the hell was I thinking!!!???? Sorry. I'll keep my mouth shut until I can confirm next time.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #4789
eSONG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
What the hell was I thinking!!!???? Sorry. I'll keep my mouth shut until I can confirm next time.
Haha...i bet the 25mm is bigger than the entire axle..

Well, while the rims are off, I decided to add some reflective rim tape. About $12 on Amazon!
eSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:44 PM   #4790
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Oddometer: 314
Front Spark Plug

Is it possible to change the front spark plug without pulling the carbs and airbox? I've tried pulling the radiator mounting bolts but still can't get my paws anywhere near the coil/plug boot and am not sure there is enough room to lift it out if I could. I have an SMR, so if this is possible, would the radiator overflow tank have to be pulled? Are any special cuss words required?

BTW, if anbody is having trouble finding a 12mm hex bit socket or the monster 14mm one for the side cover, sears.com has both.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #4791
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,968
My 06 SM is being delivered tomorrow. (I bought it Jan 11th) so after a month of volatile phone calls with the worst shipping company I've ever dealt with she's just around the corner.
Question: she's been in a warehouse in Wisonsin for a month, sitting....alone. Anything special I should do when she gets to her new home
in Los Angeles? I'm just dreading rolling her off the semi and having No Start. Battery or whatever else can go wrong....
Old 02-15-2011, 08:38 PM   #4792
awork13
Gas was made to burn

Oddometer: 313
Well hopefully they put really good gas in it. Because its a pain to drain the carbs, as they should have, for shipment. My fear is that it will need a carb clean. The old battery's in them are tuff, so it should be ok. Get it home and give her a good onvce over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
My 06 SM is being delivered tomorrow. (I bought it Jan 11th) so after a month of volatile phone calls with the worst shipping company I've ever dealt with she's just around the corner.
Question: she's been in a warehouse in Wisonsin for a month, sitting....alone. Anything special I should do when she gets to her new home
in Los Angeles? I'm just dreading rolling her off the semi and having No Start. Battery or whatever else can go wrong....
2009 CRF150R
awork13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:08 PM   #4793
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by awork13 View Post
Well hopefully they put really good gas in it. Because its a pain to drain the carbs, as they should have, for shipment. My fear is that it will need a carb clean. The old battery's in them are tuff, so it should be ok. Get it home and give her a good onvce over.
I was worried about the pre existing fuel. They did a safety inspection a month ago while I was handling the paperwork, where they road it and did the dealer inspection. Mech who test rode it had no idea it was that quick (he has an 08 Duc Multistrada) said it ran great, pulled hard. Only issues were the heated grips don't work and there's a slight rattle in or near one of the cans. Loose baffle maybe? (stock pipes and cans)
Old 02-16-2011, 03:31 AM   #4794
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
I promise you the fuel is fine.

Mine hasn't had new fuel since mid november and i can still get it started once a month.

Your battery, however, will likely need charged. They loose an average of 1% per day when not on a maintenance charger. Do the math ;)
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #4795
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
Big smiles!

We had a break in the weather yesterday (sunny and about 60!) so a couple of us went out for a few hours. Between the knee replacement and very unfriendly for riding weather, it's been almost 4 months since I'd taken more than a 20-30 minute ride. Felt good!
Glad you could catch a break to get a ride in. I had great weather the last couple of weeks, but my shoulder has been plaguing me and didn't want to risk it on a potentially slippery ride. Then I woke up yesterday and it didn't matter anymore:

snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #4796
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,339
Snowhawk -
Whose 2-into-1 pipe did you use? I found one I like but it doesn't look like it will clear the oil tank (SMR).

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:16 PM   #4797
MotoSteve
Functioning Motard

Oddometer: 363
I keep seeing people post about how they live in the snow and can't ride there bikes for several months. That sounds terrible. I've never known that problem in CA. Don't you folks have snowmobiles, snowboards, booze, women and other fun stuff to do during the cold season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
Glad you could catch a break to get a ride in. I had great weather the last couple of weeks, but my shoulder has been plaguing me and didn't want to risk it on a potentially slippery ride. Then I woke up yesterday and it didn't matter anymore:

Old 02-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #4798
Scaredofthedirt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Will a 990SMT seat fit on a 950SM?

Hello everybody.

I've not found the answer in my searches.

Will a 990SMT seat fit on a 950SM?

Thanks.
Scaredofthedirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #4799
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
Snowhawk -
Whose 2-into-1 pipe did you use? I found one I like but it doesn't look like it will clear the oil tank (SMR).
Custom fab'ed "S" bend to Yoshi can. It is acceptable for street use, but since it is tucked in a bit, the tire rubs the can when I hit the deep bumps offroad. I have designed the correct bend and taper profile, both to clear the tire and for use with the stock flange mounts. It is almost ready for mock-up. The flange and flange plate must come from a machine shop and I haven't gotten the ca$h to proceed with that step yet. More to come on that subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoSteve View Post
I keep seeing people post about how they live in the snow and can't ride there bikes for several months. That sounds terrible. I've never known that problem in CA. Don't you folks have snowmobiles, snowboards, booze, women and other fun stuff to do during the cold season?
I gots me a Snowhawk to cope with the winter snows. I don't get to ride it as much as I would like, either...

snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:53 PM   #4800
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,339
Please keep us posted on the progress.

If I keep my SMR I'll go to a 2 into 1 primarily so I can install one of Neduro's saddle tanks for longer trips.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote