Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #5521
farmerger
Snowed in Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSONG View Post
Has anyone tried the Corbin seat for the 950SM? I'm thinking about ordering one. I want something that will lower the seat height while making it more comfortable than the stock seat. I think the Corbin lowers the seat height by about 1 inch.
I bought my 950SM off Speedstar and it came with a Renazco seat. I have a 29" inseam and the seat is just the perfect height. Also, its super comfortable for long distances as I rode the bike home in 3 days covering 1600 miles and my butt was ready to keep going. It so good that I'm getting a Renazco built for my 1200GS as well.

Billy Connolly - "If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?"
farmerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:43 AM   #5522
eSONG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Thanks guys. I need to get something soon I think.
eSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #5523
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,306
Quote:
Has anyone tried the Corbin seat for the 950SM? I'm thinking about ordering one. I want something that will lower the seat height while making it more comfortable than the stock seat. I think the Corbin lowers the seat height by about 1 inch.
It's hit or miss with a Corbin..the one on my 650L is an all day seat..the one on my Buell was so slick you could not stay in the saddle, hard as a rock too..I sold it for $100...

Most saddlemakers will make it 1 inch lower if you tell them to do so....

KHVol screwed with this post 05-17-2011 at 02:30 PM
KHVol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:52 PM   #5524
Navaho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,015
Quote:
Post #3932:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...n#post13391199

I'm also thinking about a Corbin for the bike I'm getting next week. The "asphalt" gripper seat cover is my favorite. I have on my TE610 and it looks very similar to the one for the 950.
Navaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #5525
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navaho View Post
Post #3932:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...n#post13391199

I'm also thinking about a Corbin for the bike I'm getting next week. The "asphalt" gripper seat cover is my favorite. I have on my TE610 and it looks very similar to the one for the 950.
Just don't get the faux carbon fibre material....and expect it to be very hard unless you spec it otherwise..mine was like sitting on a counter top.......
Old 05-17-2011, 05:59 PM   #5526
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,014
I am SO gutted:

HAve a straightened front wheel on bike now, and was waiting for rain to stop so I could take it out on it's maiden ride. I don't count the 5 minute jaunt for a couple blocks that I discovered the bent wheel, as a ride.

Its been raining for almost a week, and more for the next week, so I said fuck it, suited up, and rode 2 hrs to my racing sponsor's place and back to get some stuff for my racebike....It was just an excuse to try the 950 out,a nd to run a tank of gas with seafoam thru the bike in hopes of curing the poor running condition.

The backfiring, popping and sputtering went away, but it still runs awful. It is by far the worst running bike I have ever ridden. It runs so bad I hate the bike. The throttle is like a switch.( I am starting to wish I had my Gixxer back :( )

It idles fine, and then I snick it into gear (smoothest trans ever!!), and start to accelerate from a stop. I have to feather the clutch and feed in lots of throttle because it bogs badly...then after 20 or so feet, It will suddenly clear it's throat and take off....so sudden that I spun the rear tire a whole bunch of times purely by accident. It does this in every gear. Below a certain RPM (no tach so I am guessing at 3000-3500) it bogs, then above that, it runs hard. There's such a bad transition between it makes it miserable to ride, and I am now really dreading my week long stay at Deals Gap- I leave on Friday.

Even riding 60 mph in top gear, it is right on the border of bogging and clearing it's throat....so it is a matter of the bike bogging and falling to 55mph then I feed in more throttle, and it pulls itself back up over 60 mph...then I try to let off a little and stay at a steady throttle at 60 mph, and it starts to bog again. I had to ride 70=75 mph to stay above this spot in top gear.

So frustrated.
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #5527
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
I am SO gutted:

Below a certain RPM (no tach so I am guessing at 3000-3500) it bogs, then above that, it runs hard. There's such a bad transition between it makes it miserable to ride, and I am now really dreading my week long stay at Deals Gap- I leave on Friday.
Deals Gap is pretty technical, especially for a road, there are only a few straightaways..with the throttle problems you are having, I doubt very seriously that you are going to enjoy it..plus....a mistake can put you into the grill of the oncoming car or over the edge of the mtn.

Good luck. Sorry you are having such bad luck with your 950.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:08 PM   #5528
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

I know. I have been going to Deals Gap twice a yr since 96....and this will be my worst time yet I am betting. I just told my wife that I can see me bailing out of many rides while the rest of the group goes, while I sit inside the garage tearing the bike apart and cursing.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #5529
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
I know. I have been going to Deals Gap twice a yr since 96....and this will be my worst time yet I am betting. I just told my wife that I can see me bailing out of many rides while the rest of the group goes, while I sit inside the garage tearing the bike apart and cursing.
You know they have sportbikes for rent there now don't you ?
Old 05-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #5530
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

No thx. CAn't afford it.
This trip is always a cheap holiday for me. I bring 9 other riders, and rent a large house on 35 acres with garage and hot tub and many beds etc.

$150/ each rider for a week's stay.
Everyone is responsible for getting their own bikes down there. I offer to bring someone's with me in my van for half the fuel cost.

I usually spend $500/wk max doing this trip.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #5531
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,294
omnivore -
At 60 mph in top gear you are lugging the hell out of that engine.
With stock (17t) gearing, I never got into 6 gear below 75-80 mph. below that you need 5th.

You either have crud blocking your main jet(s) or a float way out of whack. Pull the carbs down and clean them good. get some fine piano wire and ream the jets out. You might soak all of the metal parts in carb cleaner for 8 or so hours.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:45 PM   #5532
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
omnivore -
At 60 mph in top gear you are lugging the hell out of that engine.
With stock (17t) gearing, I never got into 6 gear below 75-80 mph. below that you need 5th.

You either have crud blocking your main jet(s) or a float way out of whack. Pull the carbs down and clean them good. get some fine piano wire and ream the jets out. You might soak all of the metal parts in carb cleaner for 8 or so hours.
+1

Your bike had a mysterious past so ya had to expect some trouble shooting. Just think of the feeling of accomplishment once ya get her sorted out!! Mine ran for shit when I got her to, and the feelings of "what have I done" and even "fuck this bike" crossed my mind. I held off even buying $60 buck axle sliders because I wasnt sure if I was going to hold onto her. But I committed and can say the end result is well worth it.
Good luck.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #5533
awork13
Gas was made to burn

Oddometer: 313
Clean the carbs. Seafoam is for the lazy, it would work if the bike had only sat for a month or so, but you need to go through it, make sure the slides move freely, and the pilots are clear. Also make sure that the fuel screws do not have varnish on them. The motor does have a very light crank in it, but its not a two stroke on off light switch kinda thing.
2009 CRF150R
awork13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #5534
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Airbox is open. SLides moving fine. everything looks clean. I halfway hoped to find a mouse nest in the snorkle,LOL...the carb boots and manifolds seem to be tight. I can't see any spot for air leaks.

The large hose on the brake side of the bike that runs back from the SAS stuff has been chopped off and has a bolt stuck in it....and the SAS solenoid is gone..... I also notice a few vac lines missing from the evap canister.
Taking the carbs off this thing is gonna be a bitch.
Also, I notice a few wires inside the airbox....are they for carb heaters?

omnivore screwed with this post 05-17-2011 at 08:39 PM
Old 05-18-2011, 05:12 AM   #5535
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,294
Removing the carbs is relatively easy.
Tank off.
Air box off.
Loosen the other clamps and pull the carbs.

If you dig up Garry's Canisterectomy article from the Halls of Wisdom it even has pictures.

http://home.comcast.net/~garrysimmon...er-Removal.htm

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote