ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 05:33 AM   #5536
Smilin' Dave
I am smiling
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Grand Rapids Mi.
Oddometer: 119
Omnivore, if it idles fine, and runs good on the top end, its probably one or more clogged polit jets. Clean or replace both and you should be good to go.
__________________
Dave
'06 950 SM
'01 1150 GS
'96 KLR 650
'88 ZX-10
Smilin' Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:52 AM   #5537
omnivore
SuperSportTourer
 
omnivore's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Brantford,ONT,CAnada
Oddometer: 1,013
Cool. I will do. I am also ordering up Factory Pro's Titanium jet kit and float setting tool.....I am reading lots about CV carbs, and didn't realize that float height can cause all sorts of trouble too. I willhave this stuff shipped right to the place I am staying at Deals Gap,a nd will spend a day in the garage there cleaning carbs and testing. Fingers crossed!

I was gonna get H2W's jetting, but it seems that it is off road oriented with the prefilter etc, and I have future plans to ditch the entire airbox and go with a MotoHooligan setup, so spending money on stuff that I will toss out is wasteful.

I also am planning on soon ordering a pair of Leos, and the Factory Pro kit looks to have some room for tuning.
__________________
XR200R
KTM 950SM
CBR Fireblade-GTU Endurance racebike
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:50 AM   #5538
eSONG
Gnarly Adventurer
 
eSONG's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Northampton, Mass
Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
It's hit or miss with a Corbin..the one on my 650L is an all day seat..the one on my Buell was so slick you could not stay in the saddle, hard as a rock too..I sold it for $100...

Most saddlemakers will make it 1 inch lower if you tell them to do so....
I had a corbin on my old bike, KTM 625 SMC. It was very comfortable (for me) and that's why I was thinking about getting one for the 950. It was a bit slick, but I didn't mind that too much.
eSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:57 AM   #5539
eSONG
Gnarly Adventurer
 
eSONG's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Northampton, Mass
Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
Cool. I will do. I am also ordering up Factory Pro's Titanium jet kit and float setting tool.....I am reading lots about CV carbs, and didn't realize that float height can cause all sorts of trouble too. I willhave this stuff shipped right to the place I am staying at Deals Gap,a nd will spend a day in the garage there cleaning carbs and testing. Fingers crossed!

I was gonna get H2W's jetting, but it seems that it is off road oriented with the prefilter etc, and I have future plans to ditch the entire airbox and go with a MotoHooligan setup, so spending money on stuff that I will toss out is wasteful.

I also am planning on soon ordering a pair of Leos, and the Factory Pro kit looks to have some room for tuning.
Hope you get your bike sorted to enjoy your trip at Deal's Gap. I think once you get it sorted, you'll love the bike as most of us do. Good luck.
eSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:42 AM   #5540
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2004
Oddometer: 2,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin' Dave View Post
Omnivore, if it idles fine, and runs good on the top end, its probably one or more clogged polit jets. Clean or replace both and you should be good to go.
Does sound like piliot jets, stutters the first 1/4 throttle then once it gets off the pilots it clears out and runs like gangbusters..
__________________
"Character cannot be summoned at the moment of crisis if it has been squandered by years of compromise and rationalization"
KHVol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:34 AM   #5541
omnivore
SuperSportTourer
 
omnivore's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Brantford,ONT,CAnada
Oddometer: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
Does sound like piliot jets, stutters the first 1/4 throttle then once it gets off the pilots it clears out and runs like gangbusters..

Bingo-exactly!!
__________________
XR200R
KTM 950SM
CBR Fireblade-GTU Endurance racebike
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #5542
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Baltimore Md
Oddometer: 582
Shopping for a 950SMR

I have a friend who's looking for a used 950 SMR. He's spotted a few around, one from another inmate that's near looks promising. Have any of you come across a SMR for sale in your area that looks to be in good condition? The guy has cash in hand and is ready to pull the trigger on the right bike. Prefer the location to be east of the rockies in the US.

Thought about selling him mine and picking up a 990smr but I've put so much time and money into it so it doesn't really make sense to part with mine just now.

NM
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:49 PM   #5543
Garry
Old and In The Way
 
Garry's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Murrysville, PA
Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
I am SO gutted:

Even riding 60 mph in top gear, it is right on the border of bogging and clearing it's throat....so it is a matter of the bike bogging and falling to 55mph then I feed in more throttle, and it pulls itself back up over 60 mph...then I try to let off a little and stay at a steady throttle at 60 mph, and it starts to bog again. I had to ride 70=75 mph to stay above this spot in top gear.

So frustrated.
The bike does not like to lug, it likes to rev. With stock gearing, top gear feels bad below 80 MPH. I would be in fourth gear at 60 MPH and my bike is geared down one tooth up front. It does sound like you have some jetting issues, but don't be afraid to let the engine spin. FWIW, I am running the H2W jet kit with the prefilter and LV slip-ons.
__________________
2007 KTM 950 SM-R
2009 KTM 530 EXC
http://www.MotoRoads.net
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #5544
Navaho
Beastly Adventurer
 
Navaho's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Oddometer: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyMo View Post
I have a friend who's looking for a used 950 SMR. He's spotted a few around, one from another inmate that's near looks promising. Have any of you come across a SMR for sale in your area that looks to be in good condition? The guy has cash in hand and is ready to pull the trigger on the right bike. Prefer the location to be east of the rockies in the US.

Thought about selling him mine and picking up a 990smr but I've put so much time and money into it so it doesn't really make sense to part with mine just now.

NM
There is a very nice one, tricked out, on Cycletrader.com. He's in Dallas, TX. I would have bought this one if the SMR was what I wanted. I'm looking for the SM.

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/list...-SMR--98574528

I guess you've seen this one already: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=679097
__________________
'07 450EXC, '06 950 Supermoto, '09 YZ450F

Navaho screwed with this post 05-18-2011 at 08:14 PM
Navaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:12 AM   #5545
omnivore
SuperSportTourer
 
omnivore's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Brantford,ONT,CAnada
Oddometer: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
The bike does not like to lug, it likes to rev. With stock gearing, top gear feels bad below 80 MPH. I would be in fourth gear at 60 MPH and my bike is geared down one tooth up front. It does sound like you have some jetting issues, but don't be afraid to let the engine spin. FWIW, I am running the H2W jet kit with the prefilter and LV slip-ons.

You honestly mean that this bike cannot cruise at 60 mph in top gear if no accelerating is needed?

I mean quite literally that my bike will not hold a steapdy 60mph in 6th..it bogs. I am not saying that it tractors, or it is lugging, I mean literally slows down if I don't feed it more throttle.
I have ridden bikes out of their optimal range, and while they didn't "like" it, they did it. (GSXR1000, 2nd gear, acclerating from 2500 rpm, uphill, pulling my trailer. Did it like it? Nope....but it did it. I also raced a YZF600 with no 2nd gear at all....that meant exitting hairpins etc at the bottom of 3rd..it didn't like it either, but my choices were limitted. The bike did what I asked, albeit with alot less authority off of corner exits than the guys I was racing with,LOL....This is the first time I have experienced a bike that simply wouldn't do it.

Hoow much importance is there in the H2W equal length carb vent hoses? I ordered the Factory Pro Titanium jet kit instead.
__________________
XR200R
KTM 950SM
CBR Fireblade-GTU Endurance racebike
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:54 AM   #5546
doctor_big
It hurts when I fall down
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
You honestly mean that this bike cannot cruise at 60 mph in top gear if no accelerating is needed?.
When running correctly the bike will happily lug 60mph in top gear. You'll probably want to use 5th, but 6th is no problem.

Jason
__________________
Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.
doctor_big is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:03 AM   #5547
omnivore
SuperSportTourer
 
omnivore's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Brantford,ONT,CAnada
Oddometer: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_big View Post
When running correctly the bike will happily lug 60mph in top gear. You'll probably want to use 5th, but 6th is no problem.

Jason

HI Jason:
I spoke at length with someone from your subscrip dept. on Saturday....about the SOAR racer's offer and I signed up.

I am also working on a story to submit, and hopefully more to come. I am excited at the proposition quite honestly. Being that I am racing and streetriding, I hope that I will have lots to offer. Paul Rosemond did a story last fall called "The Final Battle" that mentions me in the story....as "the new rider in SOAR" who qualified 2nd on the grid....and later in the story mentions the bike crashed and on fire in the hay bales...Yep...me again,LOL. Last race of the year, last lap, last corner, I was trying to make a move for the win.....in retrospect, a 2nd would've been better than a DNF, but that's not racing now, is it?
I mentioned to your co-worker that reading your input, and your deer-spearing stories helped to solidify my trading the GSXR for the 950SM.....now if I can just get it running right,LOL.
__________________
XR200R
KTM 950SM
CBR Fireblade-GTU Endurance racebike
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:13 AM   #5548
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
You honestly mean that this bike cannot cruise at 60 mph in top gear if no accelerating is needed?

I mean quite literally that my bike will not hold a steapdy 60mph in 6th..it bogs. I am not saying that it tractors, or it is lugging, I mean literally slows down if I don't feed it more throttle.
I have ridden bikes out of their optimal range, and while they didn't "like" it, they did it. (GSXR1000, 2nd gear, acclerating from 2500 rpm, uphill, pulling my trailer. Did it like it? Nope....but it did it. I also raced a YZF600 with no 2nd gear at all....that meant exitting hairpins etc at the bottom of 3rd..it didn't like it either, but my choices were limitted. The bike did what I asked, albeit with alot less authority off of corner exits than the guys I was racing with,LOL....This is the first time I have experienced a bike that simply wouldn't do it.

Hoow much importance is there in the H2W equal length carb vent hoses? I ordered the Factory Pro Titanium jet kit instead.
Are you running the stock 17T countersprocket? I always thought the bike lugged going 80 in 6th gear, it motors happily now with the 16T. Even now though I don't think I'm ever in 6th gear while only doing 60. 4th or 5th. Do you guys run it in 6th gear when you are only doing 60?
__________________
EastSideSM: '06 950SM Black
EastSideSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:04 AM   #5549
eSONG
Gnarly Adventurer
 
eSONG's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Northampton, Mass
Oddometer: 434
4th or 5th for me doing 60 depending on the road, curvy vs. highway cruising.
eSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:59 AM   #5550
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Baltimore Md
Oddometer: 582
Thanks Navaho,

I suggested the one in Texas to him, it looks to be the nicest on offer from what I've seen. Heck, I'd buy it if I didn't already own one.

I answered your PM btw.

NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navaho View Post
There is a very nice one, tricked out, on Cycletrader.com. He's in Dallas, TX. I would have bought this one if the SMR was what I wanted. I'm looking for the SM.

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/list...-SMR--98574528

I guess you've seen this one already: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=679097

nattyMo screwed with this post 05-19-2011 at 06:13 PM
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014