ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #5791
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider_Over View Post
Guys, i get about 160km or 100miles per tank before the light comes on. Is that about right? I think my bike must be setup too rich.

I would like to get it setup properly, I live in the Toronto area if anyone knows a reputable shop that can dyno and setup the carbs perfectly.

Love the bike.
Sounds about right. I get 100-110 before light comes on. that is totally unrestrained and a mix of city/highway driving.
__________________
EastSideSM: '06 950SM Black
EastSideSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #5792
Slider_Over
Hooligan
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Oakville
Oddometer: 40
Mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900rider View Post
SM or SMR?

I have the SMR with the smaller tank, with some jet work and pipes (removed emissions stuff) I get to between 100 and 110 miles before I get the light.
I have a SM, forgot to mention that. The last trip I did it was a lot of highway speed limit stuff - following in a pack....so I figured I would get better mileage. I certainly was not riding like I normally do, so tha is why I asked the question.

Another question: What can you do or have you done to lessen the weight of the bike? I know the power to weight is already great but wonder where other weight savings can be had? I have already done the battery this spring with the Shorai.....bike feels much lighter!!!

Thanks again.
Slider_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #5793
900rider
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Meadville, PA
Oddometer: 640
Well carbon wheels of course!

Everyone here runs them.

900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #5794
doctor_big
It hurts when I fall down
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider_Over View Post
Guys, i get about 160km or 100miles per tank before the light comes on. Is that about right? I think my bike must be setup too rich.

I would like to get it setup properly, I live in the Toronto area if anyone knows a reputable shop that can dyno and setup the carbs perfectly.

Love the bike.
My light comes on around 210km. At that point it takes around 15l of gas.

Jason
__________________
Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.
doctor_big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #5795
doctor_big
It hurts when I fall down
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by 900rider View Post
Well carbon wheels of course!

Everyone here runs them.

He doesn't have carbon wheels???? GET..... OUT!!!!!
__________________
Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.
doctor_big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #5796
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider_Over View Post
I have a SM, forgot to mention that. The last trip I did it was a lot of highway speed limit stuff - following in a pack....so I figured I would get better mileage. I certainly was not riding like I normally do, so tha is why I asked the question.

Another question: What can you do or have you done to lessen the weight of the bike? I know the power to weight is already great but wonder where other weight savings can be had? I have already done the battery this spring with the Shorai.....bike feels much lighter!!!

Thanks again.
Have you done the exhausts? The stockers are lke boat anchors and they are much too hot in the summer. I went with Wings, but others have done Remus, FMF, Akrapovic, GPR etc. Most any other exhaust is gonna help you drop at least ten pounds over the stockers, I think mine were about a 15lb weight loss over the stockers. the SAS and EVAP cannisters and all the plumbing are good for another 1-2 lbs of junk you can lose. Someone mentioned the wheels, but those are very spendy. Swapping body work for carbon fiber bits won't really lose much weight, but it looks cool!!!
__________________
EastSideSM: '06 950SM Black
EastSideSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #5797
900rider
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Meadville, PA
Oddometer: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_big View Post
He doesn't have carbon wheels???? GET..... OUT!!!!!
Lol!
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #5798
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Baltimore Md
Oddometer: 585
My SMR goes usually triggers the light at 90 miles, worst 75, best 105.

As for dropping weight on the bike. I've gone a bit mad shedding grams. In addition to the exhaust and battery (Akropovic and TurnTech). I've swapped much of the stock hardware for Ti or Aluminum depending on bolt function (Pro-Bolt). I'm running CNC tripple clamps (Emig Racing), swapped the chain and sprockets (DID/Stealth), Running lighter tires (Pirelli Diablo Corsa Rosso) swapped to Carbon body work (KTM, HF Carbon), and Caron Bars (Driven).

Now I just need to find where I put that lottery check so I can run out and join the carbon wheel club.

Heading out to this event on Friday. Leaving DC round 2p. If nothing else there are some amazing roads round Staunton Va.

http://www.roadrunner.travel/wp/road...va/?ref=TWbanB

Enjoy all,
NM


Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider_Over View Post
I have a SM, forgot to mention that. The last trip I did it was a lot of highway speed limit stuff - following in a pack....so I figured I would get better mileage. I certainly was not riding like I normally do, so tha is why I asked the question.

Another question: What can you do or have you done to lessen the weight of the bike? I know the power to weight is already great but wonder where other weight savings can be had? I have already done the battery this spring with the Shorai.....bike feels much lighter!!!

Thanks again.
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:09 AM   #5799
Slider_Over
Hooligan
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Oakville
Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_big View Post
My light comes on around 210km. At that point it takes around 15l of gas.

Jason

hmmm, ok. On my last fillup after the light came on, I had done 165km and put 12 litres in....that is about the same mileage as yours. My light comes on way quicker though....strange. I remember someone saying that the reserve was quite small and not too run more than 20km over. What is the size of the tank on the SM?
Slider_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:15 AM   #5800
Slider_Over
Hooligan
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Oakville
Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
Have you done the exhausts? The stockers are lke boat anchors and they are much too hot in the summer. I went with Wings, but others have done Remus, FMF, Akrapovic, GPR etc. Most any other exhaust is gonna help you drop at least ten pounds over the stockers, I think mine were about a 15lb weight loss over the stockers. the SAS and EVAP cannisters and all the plumbing are good for another 1-2 lbs of junk you can lose. Someone mentioned the wheels, but those are very spendy. Swapping body work for carbon fiber bits won't really lose much weight, but it looks cool!!!
Good points. Yes, I have knocked the cats out of the stock exhuast and its quite a bit light and cooler than stock for sure. I don't know how much lighter and aftermarket exhuast would be though, I never could really justify the money over what I've done to the stockers.
I have the SAS and all that crap removed when I bought the bike...so I believe all that is good as well.

I just need to get it setup properly now. Can anyone recommend good shop within a few hours of Toronto?

Thanks...Kent
Slider_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:30 AM   #5801
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2004
Oddometer: 2,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyMo View Post
My SMR goes usually triggers the light at 90 miles, worst 75, best 105.

As for dropping weight on the bike. I've gone a bit mad shedding grams. In addition to the exhaust and battery (Akropovic and TurnTech). I've swapped much of the stock hardware for Ti or Aluminum depending on bolt function (Pro-Bolt). I'm running CNC tripple clamps (Emig Racing), swapped the chain and sprockets (DID/Stealth), Running lighter tires (Pirelli Diablo Corsa Rosso) swapped to Carbon body work (KTM, HF Carbon), and Caron Bars (Driven).

Now I just need to find where I put that lottery check so I can run out and join the carbon wheel club.

Heading out to this event on Friday. Leaving DC round 2p. If nothing else there are some amazing roads round Staunton Va.

http://www.roadrunner.travel/wp/road...va/?ref=TWbanB

Enjoy all,
NM
NM, have you weighed your bike ?

Also, a few of us are going to ride the Marlinton WV area, just above Staunton, the first weekend of August . Let me know if you are interested.

Note - If anyone else is interested in meeting up at the Marlinton Motor Inn the first weekend in Aug, hope you will join us. There are great roads around there.
__________________
"Character cannot be summoned at the moment of crisis if it has been squandered by years of compromise and rationalization"

KHVol screwed with this post 07-13-2011 at 10:33 AM
KHVol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #5802
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss
 
6USMC6's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: The "Upper" Valley of the Shenandoah.
Oddometer: 4,339
Hey Keith! The Ducati Tour is supposed to be here that weekend and I am set to ride a Davile (sp?) and maybe a Multi-Strada but I might run down for the day either Saturday or Sunday. The bike may still have the clip-ons on it but i can deal with that!
__________________
Mike -

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #5803
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2004
Oddometer: 2,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
Hey Keith! The Ducati Tour is supposed to be here that weekend and I am set to ride a Davile (sp?) and maybe a Multi-Strada but I might run down for the day either Saturday or Sunday. The bike may still have the clip-ons on it but i can deal with that!
We'll be there, Mike..most will be heading back home on Sunday so try to make it Saturday..we could also meet up with you enroute, Monterey or someplace.....hope you can make it.
__________________
"Character cannot be summoned at the moment of crisis if it has been squandered by years of compromise and rationalization"
KHVol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:35 PM   #5804
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Central NJ
Oddometer: 9,916
26,120 (S)miles

I've been out a couple of times in the past couple of weeks. Today was a shake-down for the upcoming Ramapo 500 (only fitting- doing a "500" closing in on 5 years). Did a motardish type ride and had a lot of fun (big surprise, eh?) on the NJ single lane backroads for a bit over 100 miles.

Ride report here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...31&postcount=4

And a pic for this post



The red bag is from Chase Harper-- good for an overnight trip. I won it at a past R500, so it's only fitting to take it this weekend.


One very odd thing--- I replaced the tire a few weeks ago and since puttig the wheel back on the rear brake has stopped squealing. Very perplexing.

But I'm not complaining
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:04 PM   #5805
900rider
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Meadville, PA
Oddometer: 640
I just became aware of my rear brake squealing a couple days ago

Wtf!
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014