Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2008, 07:13 PM   #586
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,281
9914 (S)miles

Don't mind Barry- he's just practicing his well poisioning technique

Pretty near a perfect 950SM mix ride today- smooth and rough pavement, dirt roads, and all twisty.

Was even ok for the orange pos that we dragged along for a while

wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:39 PM   #587
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,207
Dumb question time...

How do you guys make sure the rear wheel is straight/aligned when adjusting the chain? The marks on the chain adjuster blocks (whatever those aluminum things are) are a joke. I've never been anal-retentive about this but just don't have a good feeling about having an aligned rear wheel using those things.
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 02:30 PM   #588
disconnected
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,671
Garry, align the wheel one way or another... it will help you turn...

now off to Avella......

greg
Old 06-22-2008, 04:59 PM   #589
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry
Dumb question time...

How do you guys make sure the rear wheel is straight/aligned when adjusting the chain? The marks on the chain adjuster blocks (whatever those aluminum things are) are a joke. I've never been anal-retentive about this but just don't have a good feeling about having an aligned rear wheel using those things.

Use a small caliper or even a ruler to adjust it perfectly the first time. Then you should be able to keep it aligned by making sure you adjust each time by the same amount of flats on the nuts/bolts. Or carry the small caliper with you.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:41 PM   #590
never2old4fun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry
Dumb question time...

Not sure how anyone else dose this, but find the center of the swing arm bolt, then the center of the rear wheels axle, get tape measure, take measurement, make sure both sides are equal.
never2old4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:51 AM   #591
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoRider
I don't have any pics but here's the corbin site. I got the black on black and it looks nice.

http://www.corbin.com/ktm/ktm950smr7.shtml
+1 on the Corbin. I picked up my SMR early May. I've put 1800 miles on it since. The stock seat was ok for me up to about 80-90 miles, my girlfriend hated it. Much worse then the sean on my 690sm for a pillion, strange as that sounds. The Corbin is much better for both of us. Took about a month to get it, for sure it was worth the wait. Mine is black top/orange sides. Looks pretty close to stock at a glance. I did not like the seat/bar height change at first but it's growing on me. If you are considering raising your bars and getting a corbin wait until you get the seat as you may want to skip the bar raisers.
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:23 PM   #592
Tifighter
thread killer

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyMo
+1 on the Corbin. I picked up my SMR early May. I've put 1800 miles on it since. The stock seat was ok for me up to about 80-90 miles, my girlfriend hated it. Much worse then the sean on my 690sm for a pillion, strange as that sounds. The Corbin is much better for both of us. Took about a month to get it, for sure it was worth the wait. Mine is black top/orange sides. Looks pretty close to stock at a glance. I did not like the seat/bar height change at first but it's growing on me. If you are considering raising your bars and getting a corbin wait until you get the seat as you may want to skip the bar raisers.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on the 950 vs. the 690sm; what you like and dislike about both. And since you mentioned it, how is riding 2-up on both bikes?
Tifighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:04 AM   #593
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifighter
I'd love to hear your thoughts on the 950 vs. the 690sm; what you like and dislike about both. And since you mentioned it, how is riding 2-up on both bikes?
Here's a quicke write-up I did last year.

Short version- it works pretty well. Still "thuds" a bit under 4k, and much over that there's a high frequency vibe coming through the seat (very much like an old 650 parallel twin): but it is noticably smoother than a 640 everywhere. The motor has a lot of juice and builds revs real nice when hard on the gas; and the 6th gear is really useful. As you'd expect, the bike handling is razor sharp and it's a very active and engaging ride. The ergos position you more towards the front than previous LC4s (side benefit- you can't see the beak ).

The seat may be the worst (hard/narrow) that KTM has ever put on a street bike (and that's really saying something!). Stock gearing seems petty good. The FI is very snatchy and isn't very good at low throttle openings, and it's tough to maintain constant or slightly rising throttle during a long bend; but other than that I think they've done a good job with the update: good enough so that I will be checking out the E when it becomes available (though it's going to be hard to justify the expected $5k "improvement" difference to upgrade)

Even shorter version- for me, it offers nothing over a 950SM except easier (because of weight/girth difference) off pavement.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:05 PM   #594
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifighter
I don't wish to hijack this thread. I've addressed your questions in a new thread here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355704

Give me a shout if you have other questions about these two bikes.
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:32 AM   #595
plutonic
Outsider

Oddometer: 3,701
I made some modifications...

after seeing motopipeman's bike:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350238

I asked him about the parts he used and he sent me some accessories ( big Thank You for that! ) to try them out, so here are my thoughts.
The aluminium honeycomb material is great. Very easy to cut and paint. The fit is nice, but it would be even better if there would be a thinner honeycomb available. I had to trim the back of the front fender, because it was touching the honeycomb. Attaching it to the radiator was very easy with the supplied Hayden transmission cooler mounts. Aside from the cosmetic enhancement the purpose of the honeycomb guard is obvious: to protect the radiator from damage caused by debris and other particles. I'm pleased with the outcome.

Smog block-off plates: they're great quality anodised billet aluminium pieces. Fit and finish is perfect. I can say the same thing about the brake pedal peg as well, there's a noticeable difference when I'm using the rear brake. It is easier to apply the right amount of force because the increased surface and the feedback is much better than with the stock peg.

Body panel decorations: I used premium quality Avery vinyl instead of paint. It's easy to do, inexpensive and if I get bored of it I can change it back to stock in no time.

Photos:
Attached Images

"You are born. And you die. And if you are very lucky in between you get to ride motorcycles."

plutonic screwed with this post 06-28-2008 at 03:42 PM
plutonic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:33 AM   #596
plutonic
Outsider

Smog block-off plate
Attached Images

"You are born. And you die. And if you are very lucky in between you get to ride motorcycles."

plutonic screwed with this post 06-28-2008 at 03:42 PM
Old 06-28-2008, 10:36 AM   #597
plutonic
Outsider

Brake pedal peg
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2008, 10:37 AM   #598
plutonic
Outsider

Vinyl decor
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2008, 10:37 AM   #599
plutonic
Outsider

bike
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2008, 10:39 AM   #600
plutonic
Outsider

bike from other angle
Attached Images