ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 12:47 PM   #6301
Whip
Onward through the fog
 
Whip's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: San Antonio Tx
Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
Pretty sure the sidestand was up. I will have to experiment a bit tonight. Gonna be wrenching on the 530 tonight, so I'll be in the garage all evening.

Got any troubleshooting tips? I have cheapo Rat Shack multimeter I can poke around with if given some tips on what to try...

You didn't happen to change your brake lever lately?
__________________
2006 KTM 950 Adventure, 2006 1150 GS Adventure
2011 KTM 990 DAKAR, 1999 ZRX1100, 2015 500EXC, 1996 DR 350.
www.whip.smugmug.com

I'm their leader...Which way did they go???
Whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:53 PM   #6302
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2004
Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
A few goodbye pictures of the big katoom




Very nice final pic....something makes me think you are going Ducati...
__________________
"Character cannot be summoned at the moment of crisis if it has been squandered by years of compromise and rationalization"
KHVol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #6303
big_sur
Tarded
 
big_sur's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Rocky Mountain Livin
Oddometer: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
Very nice final pic....something makes me think you are going Ducati...
I'd like a Ducati liter bike at some point in my life, but I probably need to spend a lot more time on the track before that happens or it'll just be wasted potential. I honestly have no idea what I'll get next; right now I'm thinking BMW xChallenge\KTM 690 enduro, but a Triumph 675 is also in the mix so who knows. It could be a Ural sidecar by the time Spring rolls around.
big_sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #6304
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss
 
6USMC6's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: The "Upper" Valley of the Shenandoah.
Oddometer: 4,492
Hey Big Sur!

I have a nice deal in the Flea Market on a 950 Adv!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717911
__________________
Mike -

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #6305
Velociraptor
TrackBum
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 1,066
Bikes come and go for sure. Just sold my 2002 RC51 which saw a lot of track time and was a blast. I love my 2009 690r enduro. That thing rocks once the pavement ends and is OK in the twisties even with knobbies. So now as you sell your 950 I am shopping for a 990 Supermoto R. Two KTMs in my garage. Was considering the Ducati Hypermotard but it seems that the KTM is the better bike and a bit cheaper.
__________________
2014 KTM EXC 500
2014 KTM 1290 Superduke R
2009 KTM 690r Enduro SOLD
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:41 PM   #6306
big_sur
Tarded
 
big_sur's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Rocky Mountain Livin
Oddometer: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
Hey Big Sur!

I have a nice deal in the Flea Market on a 950 Adv!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717911
That does look like a nice bike but I'll probably wait until Spring, or at least late winter and after I move. Good luck with the sale though


Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Bikes come and go for sure. Just sold my 2002 RC51 which saw a lot of track time and was a blast. I love my 2009 690r enduro. That thing rocks once the pavement ends and is OK in the twisties even with knobbies. So now as you sell your 950 I am shopping for a 990 Supermoto R. Two KTMs in my garage. Was considering the Ducati Hypermotard but it seems that the KTM is the better bike and a bit cheaper.
They are great bikes. I will say this was probably the best all-around street motorcycle I have ever ridden. Gravel roads, track days, 1500mi weekends. KTM builds a damn good bike. That said, I wouldn't buy the carbureted one again; I'm too young to be tinkering with that crap. Give me fuel injection and some mapping software any day.
big_sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #6307
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 1,490
Low Fuel Sensor Issue

Mine has been very tardy lately. I thought I was getting better mileage after doing some work to the bike, instead the low fuel light comes on and then I run out of gas within less than two miles of the warning. I was very lucky and it happened literally as I pulled into the parking lot of work. I was thinking to myself it was strange the light hadn't come on after 100, then 110, then 125 miles, it did as I left the freeway which luckily is very close to where I work. That would have totally sucked.

Has anyone had to replace theirs? I guess i need to remember to get gas sooner now at the very least. Like at 100 miles.
__________________
EastSideSM: '06 950SM Black
EastSideSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #6308
900rider
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Meadville, PA
Oddometer: 642
If I'm not at a gas station or about to be at a gas station by 100-110 miles I'm sweating bullets.

I normally stop and refuel at 80-90. My commute to the shop is 40miles one way, so I just get gas once a day and I'm good to go.

I go by mileage and never by the light. . .
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:41 PM   #6309
eSONG
Gnarly Adventurer
 
eSONG's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Northampton, Mass
Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
Mine has been very tardy lately. I thought I was getting better mileage after doing some work to the bike, instead the low fuel light comes on and then I run out of gas within less than two miles of the warning. I was very lucky and it happened literally as I pulled into the parking lot of work. I was thinking to myself it was strange the light hadn't come on after 100, then 110, then 125 miles, it did as I left the freeway which luckily is very close to where I work. That would have totally sucked.

Has anyone had to replace theirs? I guess i need to remember to get gas sooner now at the very least. Like at 100 miles.
My low fuel light recently stopped working too so I'd be interested to see how to replace the sensor.

I've been getting 140-150 miles per tank w/o running out. My light would consistently come on after about 120-125 miles w/mixed twisty backroad riding. I have a mostly stock 950sm....no aftermarket pipes/jetting..only did the charcoal canister removal...
eSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:24 PM   #6310
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Reno
Oddometer: 1,235
'06 SM with 28k miles. Mileage gets better. When new and not jetted, light on just over 100 miles. Now typically 150 back road sport touring with loaded soft bags. Akros, FP jetting, smog stuff gone, 16T CS....

Never a problem with fuel light or sender. FYI, it is behind the left "shroud" portion of the tank, by the fuel pump. Connection can be checked by removing left side radiator front cover. Tank off to access sending unit.

FWIW
renogeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #6311
9secondsflat
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: RI
Oddometer: 277
What did you have to do to fit your Vance and Hines pipes? thanks


QUOTE=Willis;13070771][/QUOTE]
9secondsflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:56 PM   #6312
doctor_big
It hurts when I fall down
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Oddometer: 696
I get gas at 120 miles. It'll do 140.
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900rider View Post
If I'm not at a gas station or about to be at a gas station by 100-110 miles I'm sweating bullets.

I normally stop and refuel at 80-90. My commute to the shop is 40miles one way, so I just get gas once a day and I'm good to go.

I go by mileage and never by the light. . .
__________________
Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.
doctor_big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #6313
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2004
Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSONG View Post
My low fuel light recently stopped working too so I'd be interested to see how to replace the sensor.

I've been getting 140-150 miles per tank w/o running out. My light would consistently come on after about 120-125 miles w/mixed twisty backroad riding. I have a mostly stock 950sm....no aftermarket pipes/jetting..only did the charcoal canister removal...
My numbers are the same...Akro's and X-Bikes jetting, 16T..I don't start looking for gas until about the 120 mile mark....SM, not SMR
__________________
"Character cannot be summoned at the moment of crisis if it has been squandered by years of compromise and rationalization"

KHVol screwed with this post 10-20-2011 at 06:20 AM
KHVol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:05 AM   #6314
omnivore
SuperSportTourer
 
omnivore's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Brantford,ONT,CAnada
Oddometer: 1,013
I ran 240 and 265 kms, before the fuel light came on...the last 2 times I rode the bike. And I was raping it around Deals Gap and across the Chrohala Skyway, Wayah Bald, etc. Mine seems to get respectable mileage. Bone stock.
__________________
XR200R
KTM 950SM
CBR Fireblade-GTU Endurance racebike
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #6315
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSONG View Post
My low fuel light recently stopped working too so I'd be interested to see how to replace the sensor.

I've been getting 140-150 miles per tank w/o running out. My light would consistently come on after about 120-125 miles w/mixed twisty backroad riding. I have a mostly stock 950sm....no aftermarket pipes/jetting..only did the charcoal canister removal...
I have never gotten anything approaching some of the mileage posted up. 16T counter, Wings exhausts, SAS removed, I haven't changed the jetting, but maybe I should? What are you all running for non-stock jetting? anyone go with the Head2Wind? At 150 miles, I would have been walking for the last 10!!!

I also am very familiar with removing the tank etc. i already have replaced the original fuel pump and I had it off a couple of weeks ago to get at a coolant hose clamp under there, so maybe I pulled the sensor? I'll have to pull the tank this weekend and make sure.
__________________
EastSideSM: '06 950SM Black
EastSideSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014