Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #6796
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMoto View Post
Hey nattyMo - as cool as that looks, it doesn't look complete without the BST wheels!!

goodcat8- Consider the sig line a gift. You just need to do the right thing and keep your Katie and get the Triumph!

Will do, heading out shortly w/ a few friends. 2 of which have less than a year riding experience, and the other my cousin who's an insane race track monster...... should lead to an "interesting" ride.

I'll post pics later.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #6797
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
I totally agree. Tell you what Buck, I'll post up my shipping address so you can send a set my way. How's that sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMoto View Post
Hey nattyMo - as cool as that looks, it doesn't look complete without the BST wheels!!

goodcat8- Consider the sig line a gift. You just need to do the right thing and keep your Katie and get the Triumph!
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #6798
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyMo View Post
I totally agree. Tell you what Buck, I'll post up my shipping address so you can send a set my way. How's that sound?
As soon as I win the lotto, I promise to buy you a set. You have the sweetest looking SMR and I'd really like to see a set on it too!
Old 03-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #6799
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Went out with a few guys today. Lost my fancy cam lens cap and hit a mini boulder that was bigger than a sharp edged softball and put a nice dent in my rim

Regardless it was a great day of riding, the wheel holds air and there's no wabbles at highway speed, had no issue the 20 miles of twisties and 40 miles of highway on the return trip home.

I remember maybe a year ago there were some posts (maybe by Walter?) who had a dented rim. Was it fixed or replaced? Bummer.

Spent a few miles being chased by a Harley XR1200, I don't know if it was the bike or the pilot but he was hauling ass!! Every other turn I'd check my mirror and he was still there!! I know that road, and was hauling ass so it was pretty impressive

Anyways, not the best but heres a few pics for the brethren...

SV gettin' dirty

My awesome wheel battle, kept her up though!!

Old 03-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #6800
eSONG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
good job not going down...could've been a lot worse. i think that can be fixed.
eSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #6801
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,014
I was the one with a bent wheel. Way worse than that. Mine had a lip bend like that AND a side to side wobble (out of true) of an inch+.
In June of 2000 I put my CBR under a guardrail at Deals Gap and took a chunk right out of the lip as well as bent it. Imagine your bent portion completely torn right off of the lip of the rim....that's what I had. Same guy welded in a repair and straightened out the whole mess.

Cost me $225 to have repaired....but that was here locally in Ontario Canada, where this shop has little if any competitiors who can accomplish wheel repair. Down in the USA there are a number of people highly regarding in WERA racing circles who charge alot less. One guy in east TN (near MAryville) is supposed to be fast and affordable.

Powersports Warehouse sells new wheels for under $500 as well. That is what I would've preferred to do but I was short on time and needed a straight wheel in a few days.
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike

omnivore screwed with this post 03-04-2012 at 09:49 AM
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #6802
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Thumper:

I am trying to turn my bike into something of a sport tourer, so all out track type suspension performance isn't paramount. I think I am gonna go with a Corbin seat for comfort and to lower seat height a little. Also gonna need to lower the suspension, as you said you had.
Do you happen to recall how large a block was needed in your shock, and how much lowering the block achieved at the seat height?
I have a local suspnsion builder, and was thinking of just telling him what I want and having him do it, instead of dealing with the issues of shipping parts for service back and forth across the border.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #6803
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
Thumper:

I am trying to turn my bike into something of a sport tourer, so all out track type suspension performance isn't paramount. I think I am gonna go with a Corbin seat for comfort and to lower seat height a little. Also gonna need to lower the suspension, as you said you had.
Do you happen to recall how large a block was needed in your shock, and how much lowering the block achieved at the seat height?
I have a local suspnsion builder, and was thinking of just telling him what I want and having him do it, instead of dealing with the issues of shipping parts for service back and forth across the border.

Well suspension is on the way back now and stupid me didn't measure the seat height before disassembling the stuff. I did however measure the fork and shock un-sprung length and can let you know how much shorter it is.

BTW, shipping your KTM parts tomorrow to your buddy..
Thumper996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #6804
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper996 View Post
Well suspension is on the way back now and stupid me didn't measure the seat height before disassembling the stuff. I did however measure the fork and shock un-sprung length and can let you know how much shorter it is.

BTW, shipping your KTM parts tomorrow to your buddy..

Cool. Keep us posted as to suspension updates. Reason I posted it here vs. PMing is becasue the info might be of use to other inmates on SM's too.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #6805
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Cool. Keep us posted as to suspension updates. Reason I posted it here vs. PMing is becasue the info might be of use to other inmates on SM's too.
Yep Yep, I searched and searched for any info on shim stack and spacers to lower the SM suspension and since i couldn't find anything i bit the bullet and sent mine off. Funny thing is i have done my own suspension for years referencing other setup or RaceTech; however everywhere i looked it was always notes on ADV or SE and that is not what i wanted.
Thumper996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #6806
Jackazz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Thumper:

I am trying to turn my bike into something of a sport tourer, so all out track type suspension performance isn't paramount. I think I am gonna go with a Corbin seat for comfort and to lower seat height a little.
What if anything are you going to do about wind protection?

JA
Jackazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #6807
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackazz View Post
What if anything are you going to do about wind protection?

JA

First I will try mounting an MRA touring screen I have leftover from my "sport tourified GSXR1000", and if that doesn't work, maybe a 690 screen or something else....MRA makes some cool naked bike screens too.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:24 PM   #6808
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,487
Dented Rim

I had something like that on my front rim. I used a hard rubber mallet and was able to get it back into shape. You can barely notice it now.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #6809
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
I had something like that on my front rim. I used a hard rubber mallet and was able to get it back into shape. You can barely notice it now.
I'm gonna give that a whirl, thanks man.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #6810
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
I'm gonna give that a whirl, thanks man.
you bet. Take your time. I did mine with the tire still on. I hit a pot hole that I could have been up to my knees in. I was totally surprised I didn't blow out the tire. Oh well.

I still haven't been able to get my hands on the TKC 80's for our rim sizes, but soon the SM is gonna transform into an SM/SCRAMBLER or a SMRAMBLER?