Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2012, 07:40 PM   #6871
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Oddometer: 311
[QUOTE=nattyMo;18208266]I noticed a few weeks ago that I had some break fluid drip damage on my nearly new tank. Ugh... A tiny amount of fluid left the tell tail drip marks. I thought it was down to a careless oversight during my last brake fluid change. I cleaned everything up and began to think about how I would repair the damaged tank. =QUOTE]

I managed to get a drop of brake fluid on my tank the 1st time I bled my brakes (this was on the plastic tank itself, not the side covers). I did a little light wet sanding with soapy water using 600 and 1500 grit wet/dry paper and then buffed it out with Meguiar's (G10810) "Gold Class Trim Detailer". Pretty much disapeared. An ocasional buffing with the Meguir's keeps it 'invisible'.

Thanks for posting the Motion Pro video. The screwdriver handle trick works like a charm. I'm following your advice and have a couple of inexpensive eBay laser pointers on the way to check my sprocket alignment. In the meantime, I tried shimming the countershaft out and that got the chain centered on the rear sprocket but the chain now rubs the outer face of the countershaft sprocket. I'm having a sinking feeling that my swingarm has a slight twist. The lasers should help shine a light on that...sorry that was a bad. The recent post on limiting hyperbole only leaves puns.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #6872
aeronaut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper996 View Post
Not so sure about that one, i got a VTR1000F, SV650S, Duke II. All have different characteristics and IMHO my 950 SM suspension was the worst of all of them. Hopefully no more.
Yep, IMO the stock suspension on the 950SM just simply sucks compared to most other modern sport(y) bikes. My FZ1 (revalved) is light years ahead of my 950SM (revalved multiple times) in front end feel, compliance, turn in, and confidence at 10/10ths. I can't even push the 950 to 10/10ths. I can push the FZ1 until I feel the front end start to scrub, push, chatter, slip, etc, and other than the speed, isn't a bit of a concern. Trail braking on the FZ1 is confidence inspiring and fun. The SM doesn't give near that confidence. And the FZ1 has a non-USD cartridge old-school fork.

Of course, this is all for ME and MY opinion. Others are rightfully completely happy with their SM, and very well may be just as 'fast' as I am on my FZ1. It's all personal choice.
aeronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #6873
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
Maybe for light to light. But I think a 15 would blow on highway or stretched out, higher speed (60-70mph) twisties.

Each his own I guess.

Try it is all I can say. Cruising at 80+ is no problem and it flat rips to 100, even in 6th.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:56 AM   #6874
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,161
X-Bike Jetting Question:

I am converting from H2W to X-bike jetting today. I know I remove the triangles from the airbox. What do you guys do with the triangular shaped plastic things that snap into the frame? Do they affect the required airflow?

I hope to have the bike ready for a nice all-day ride tomorrow. Will report on the jetting change and suspension rebuild/revalve that FTI did.
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #6875
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Not running X-Bikes jetting, but I have been running without said plastic things for some time without any ill effects.

I'm about halfway finished with my new Master cylinder install. Have to run to the shop for fluid and fab a bracket for the reservoir.

Hope to be out on Sunday too.

Good luck and enjoy your ride,

NM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
X-Bike Jetting Question:

I am converting from H2W to X-bike jetting today. I know I remove the triangles from the airbox. What do you guys do with the triangular shaped plastic things that snap into the frame? Do they affect the required airflow?

I hope to have the bike ready for a nice all-day ride tomorrow. Will report on the jetting change and suspension rebuild/revalve that FTI did.
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #6876
Garry
Old and In The Way

Well, it lives. Still have a little bodywork to bolt on, but the lap around the neighborhood was a success. Bike felt strong. I could hear new noises, no doubt due to the opened up intake with the x-bike jetting. Dinner, then an evening shakedown ride... I will try to hammer some F'd up pavement to see how the FTI suspension feels. I'm just so happy that it's back in (mostly) one piece again and running. I just don't feel right when any of my bikes is in pieces or not running perfectly.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #6877
aeronaut
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
X-Bike Jetting Question:

I think I lost my little triangular plastic frame pieces a while back. :)
I'm interested in your opinion on the x-bikes settings! I've been very happy with mine, but you're the first that I know of to do a switch from H2W.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #6878
CaptainMorgan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Well, it lives. Still have a little bodywork to bolt on, but the lap around the neighborhood was a success. Bike felt strong. I could hear new noises, no doubt due to the opened up intake with the x-bike jetting. Dinner, then an evening shakedown ride... I will try to hammer some F'd up pavement to see how the FTI suspension feels. I'm just so happy that it's back in (mostly) one piece again and running. I just don't feel right when any of my bikes is in pieces or not running perfectly.
Lets us know your thoughts... I have head2win like you and interested in your results with x-bike jetting
CaptainMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #6879
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyMo View Post
Not running X-Bikes jetting, but I have been running without said plastic things for some time without any ill effects.

NM.
I am aLso not running said plastic things
Old 03-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #6880
Garry
Old and In The Way

Just got back from 300 varied, twisty miles in WV and MD.

RE: FTI suspension rebuild / revalve

Winner! Worked great for my pace on beat up back roads and still handled good on smooth twisties. I think adding a click or two more compression and rebound will be the ticket for sporty riding on smooth pavement. You guys that ride really hard (10/10ths) would probably figure it's too soft right now for your needs, but I think FTI found a good compromise between compliant/plush and sporty/firm for the kind of riding I do. Perhaps the best feedback is that I didn't notice the suspension. It just worked. No harsh shocks through bars or seat. That's all I really wanted was suspension that isn't a bad distraction on less than perfect pavement. I have no idea what "top of the line" suspension feels like, so take this with a grain or two of salt and a shot of tequila ;-)

RE: H2W vs X-bike Jetting
It's been 4.5 months since I last rode, but the butt dyno says the bike is pulling harder with the X-bike jetting. Noticeable, but not hugely different. It doesn't turn the bike from a docile puppy into a snarling dog. :-) Starts and idles fine. Pulls crisply off idle. No complaints at all. Got 40 MPG over three tanks which is pretty close to what I got with H2W. I'm just glad it's not hurting the already limited range of the SMR.

RE: New chain and sprockets
It's amazing how much quieter and smoother the bike is with a fresh chain and sprockets. Big difference.

RE: Pirelli Angel tires
First time for me with these tires. Not as sporty handling as I'd like, but they are neutral and seemed to stick well on the mostly damp roads I had today. I'm hoping to get at least 4K miles out of the rear.

Garry screwed with this post 03-18-2012 at 01:17 PM
Old 03-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #6881
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,014
I am on Bridgestone 023s.....non GT model.
They came off my GSXR ....they had 5000 kms on them.
I then proceeded to put almost 10,500 kms so far on them with the KTM....and they still have half tread life left by eyeball estimation, and they are knee and peg dragging sticky down in TN. They suck in the snow!
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #6882
aeronaut
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Winner! Worked great for my pace on beat up back roads and still handled good on smooth twisties. I think adding a click or two more compression and rebound will be the ticket for sporty riding on smooth pavement. You guys that ride really hard (10/10ths) would probably figure it's too soft right now for your needs, but I think FTI found a good compromise between compliant/plush and sporty/firm for the kind of riding I do. Perhaps the best feedback is that I didn't notice the suspension. It just worked. No harsh shocks through bars or seat. That's all I really wanted was suspension that isn't a bad distraction on less than perfect pavement. I have no idea what "top of the line" suspension feels like, so take this with a grain or two of salt and a shot of tequila ;-)

It's been 4.5 months since I last rode, but the butt dyno says the bike is pulling harder with the X-bike jetting. Noticeable, but not hugely different. It doesn't turn the bike from a docile puppy into a snarling dog. :-) Starts and idles fine. Pulls crisply off idle. No complaints at all. Got 40 MPG over three tanks which is pretty close to what I got with H2W. I'm just glad it's not hurting the already limited range of the SMR.

It's amazing how much quieter and smoother the bike is with a fresh chain and sprockets. Big difference.

First time for me with these tires. Not as sporty handling as I'd like, but they are neutral and seemed to stick well on the mostly damp roads I had today. I'm hoping to get at least 4K miles out of the rear.
Thanks for the feedback Garry! Sounds like you have a darn good setup. I'm glad to hear there's no measurable/significant difference between H2W and Xbikes setup. Really good to hear you're happy with your suspension work from FTI. I think I'll have that shot of tequila to celebrate for you.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:55 AM   #6883
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Excellent to hear you had a good ride and are happy with FTI's work. I agree with Aero, from your description sounds like they have your suspension working well. Any idea what they used for fork oil? I've been using Silkolene and am thinking of changing to another brand. Yes, that means I'll be pulling my forks back apart, again...

Please keep us posted on your tire performance/wear. I'm due for some in the next 1k miles or so.

NM.

Quote:

Old 03-19-2012, 06:00 AM   #6884
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Aero,

I recall you had a brake pulsing issue some time ago. Checked but couldn't find your old post. Another local SMR owner is having the same symptom, rotors don't appear to be in bad shape and are well in spec thickness wise. How were you able to correct the problem?

Thanks
NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
Thanks for the feedback Garry! Sounds like you have a darn good setup. I'm glad to hear there's no measurable/significant difference between H2W and Xbikes setup. Really good to hear you're happy with your suspension work from FTI. I think I'll have that shot of tequila to celebrate for you.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #6885
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyMo View Post
Aero,

I recall you had a brake pulsing issue some time ago. Checked but couldn't find your old post. Another local SMR owner is having the same symptom, rotors don't appear to be in bad shape and are well in spec thickness wise. How were you able to correct the problem?

Thanks
NM
I had same problem on my sm. To the eye and micrometer all was ok with rotors. But once I setup my dial indicate gauge the right rotor was warped big time. Mine came on real quick while of a trip out west. Never understood why one warped and knew didn't .
Thumper996 is offline   Reply With Quote