Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #6886
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,161
FTI used 5W fork oil. I don't recall what brand (I'm at work). The reworked suspension doesn't make all the bumps disappear and magically float through them, but the distracting harshness is gone. I'm not thinking about how the bike is misbehaving when rolling through a fast sweeper on crap pavement any more. I was even trying to hit the roughest pavement and it was a big improvement over where it was. DISCLAIMER: my suspension had 44K miles on it and had never been serviced. How much of the improvement was due to a regular service vs revalve remains to be seen. YMMV based on how hard you ride, where you ride, and what your expectations are for suspension. Considering where I was (abused, beat stock suspension) I am very happy with the money spent at FTI (about $500) and would recommend them.

I've had the front brake pulsing thing when coming to a stop happen on and off for years. Seems that cleaning the rotors with a scotchbrite pad and cleaning the calipers makes it go away for a while on my SMR. When it returns, just clean them up again and it goes away. I just cleaned it all up good over the winter and installed new EBC HH pads up front and there was no pulsing at all yesterday. YMMV...
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #6887
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyMo View Post
Aero,

I recall you had a brake pulsing issue some time ago. Checked but couldn't find your old post. Another local SMR owner is having the same symptom, rotors don't appear to be in bad shape and are well in spec thickness wise. How were you able to correct the problem?

Thanks
NM
Do you know if they have ever repacked or replaced their wheel bearings? Sometimes bad bearings can lead to a pulsing feeling when braking.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #6888
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
FTI used 5W fork oil. I don't recall what brand (I'm at work). The reworked suspension doesn't make all the bumps disappear and magically float through them, but the distracting harshness is gone. I'm not thinking about how the bike is misbehaving when rolling through a fast sweeper on crap pavement any more. I was even trying to hit the roughest pavement and it was a big improvement over where it was. DISCLAIMER: my suspension had 44K miles on it and had never been serviced. How much of the improvement was due to a regular service vs revalve remains to be seen. YMMV based on how hard you ride, where you ride, and what your expectations are for suspension. Considering where I was (abused, beat stock suspension) I am very happy with the money spent at FTI (about $500) and would recommend them.

I've had the front brake pulsing thing when coming to a stop happen on and off for years. Seems that cleaning the rotors with a scotchbrite pad and cleaning the calipers makes it go away for a while on my SMR. When it returns, just clean them up again and it goes away. I just cleaned it all up good over the winter and installed new EBC HH pads up front and there was no pulsing at all yesterday. YMMV...

Was this $500 ish for fork and shock revalve and re-spring?
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #6889
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
Was this $500 ish for fork and shock revalve and re-spring?
Fork and shock revalve (which includes a rebuild). No new springs required. The FTI web site has their prices listed.

http://ftiracing.com/?page_id=16
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #6890
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
FWIW SPS installed Maxima Racing 5wt oil in the forks and Ohlins 2,5 wt oil in shock. Still haven't got her off the bike lift yet to test ride the suspension rebuild. Exhaust is re-wrapped and back on bike, not just got to finish the wheel polishing work and mount some tires and i can test her. Maybe ready by first weekend in April.
Thumper996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:07 PM   #6891
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Thanks for the reply,

If you happen to get a chance, I'm interested in what brand they used. There is a HUGE difference in viscosity among fork oil weights. See chart in the following link for an example. Since you went to the trouble of having your forks re-valved you may want the brand info for future reference as well.

http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/ind...spension_Fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
FTI used 5W fork oil. I don't recall what brand (I'm at work).
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:38 AM   #6892
Jhon

Oddometer: 2,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyMo View Post
Aero,

I recall you had a brake pulsing issue some time ago. Checked but couldn't find your old post. Another local SMR owner is having the same symptom, rotors don't appear to be in bad shape and are well in spec thickness wise. How were you able to correct the problem?

Thanks
NM
Try cleaning the bobbins between the disc outer ring and inner. Over time dirt and dust builds up reducing clearances and binding the disc outer. As it heats up in use and expands it cannot float causing temporary warpage.

Try a drill and lots of solvent cleaner, turning each bobbin until all the dirt has been removed. When all are clean you should be able to see that the disc outer can 'rotate' slightly on the disc inner.

This solved the problem on mine completely.
Jhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #6893
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Thanks all for the replies, some great tips. I'll pass on the info.

NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
Try cleaning the bobbins between the disc outer ring and inner. Over time dirt and dust builds up reducing clearances and binding the disc outer. As it heats up in use and expands it cannot float causing temporary warpage.

Try a drill and lots of solvent cleaner, turning each bobbin until all the dirt has been removed. When all are clean you should be able to see that the disc outer can 'rotate' slightly on the disc inner.

This solved the problem on mine completely.
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #6894
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,960
TODAY

Old 03-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #6895
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,310
More xlnt pics, GC8..now..where were those taken ??
Old 03-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #6896
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
More xlnt pics, GC8..now..where were those taken ??
Umm..... Im not exactly sure. I got up yesterday (on work vacation) and said..... "I'm outta here." So I hopped on the katoom and headed south/east....ish. Eventually saw some snowy mountains, (I love those) and headed that way. I think this is near fontana or somewhere in San Bernadino. Over 300 miles yesterday of complete wandering.

A few more w/ my little point and shoot.

goodcat8 screwed with this post 03-21-2012 at 02:38 PM
goodcat8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #6897
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
Umm..... Im not exactly sure. I got up yesterday (on work vacation) and said..... "I'm outta here." So I hopped on the katoom and headed south/east....ish. Eventually saw some snowy mountains, (I love those) and headed that way. I think this is near fontana or somewhere in San Bernadino. Over 300 miles yesterday of complete wandering.
AWESOME. So are you keeping it or still looking to sell her?
Old 03-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #6898
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
AWESOME. So are you keeping it or still looking to sell her?
Still letting her go. On my outing's I found a trump dealer in the middle of nowhere. And I have a moto-erection for this.

I know it's a quarter of the radness our 950's are. But it's the one currently speaking to me

You guys have good taste in pictures maybe you'll dig a few of these from last week's "I'm outta here..."

I usually ride by myself so getting some of these w/ the self timer is a true effort in frustration

goodcat8 screwed with this post 03-21-2012 at 02:47 PM
goodcat8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #6899
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,014
LOL...funny, the new Bonny SE is what's turning me on lately too,LOL
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #6900
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
LOL...funny, the new Bonny SE is what's turning me on lately too,LOL
Weird right?!

When the mag wheels first came out I was like "F' that. Ugly 70's throwback." Now I love 'em.