Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #7051
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppypyro View Post
East side,

Regarding kick starting your bike, it shouldnt be bad. I have tuned my xt so it takes one kick to start it, if ya know the little routine!

I actually really like my xt. My KTM is replacing it just due to the fact that it can maintain highway speeds alot better then my XT can.
Preppy:

I'm going to have the current owner give me a little lesson when I pick it up. I'm sure I'll get used to it. I can't imagine getting rid of the SM, that has been my favorite bike to date, but I am definitely looking forward to adding a 2nd bike to ride some dirt and make use of some of the local power lines and railroad tracks nearby, not to mention a couple of state forest/parks in RI and CT.

Mike:

Those Pirellis look ok, but don't have as deep a tread as the Syncs, which I found pretty good for hard pack dirt roads and such. I also would get anywhere from 8000 - 10,000 miles form a rear and up to 12,000 from my front tire with the Syncs. I'm gonna look for one more set, but will look at the trails you reco'd if I can't find them anymore, thanks for the heads up!
Old 04-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #7052
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,337
The Conti Trail Attack has a deeper tread than the Perelli's and that's why I am waiting for them.

Unfortunately, the older Scorpion AT and the Conti Escape aren't made wide enough for the SM/SMR rims.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #7053
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,337
Sync's

EastSide

Dennis Kirk lists the front Scorpion Syncs in stock

https://www.denniskirk.com/pirelli/f...prd/541938.sku

Motorcycle Superstore has the rears

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

Bike Bandit has the rears

http://www.bikebandit.com/pirelli-sc...otorcycle-tire

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #7054
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
EastSide

Dennis Kirk lists the front Scorpion Syncs in stock

https://www.denniskirk.com/pirelli/f...prd/541938.sku

Motorcycle Superstore has the rears

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

Bike Bandit has the rears

http://www.bikebandit.com/pirelli-sc...otorcycle-tire
Mike:

Thank you!!!! I'll be online spending some $$$ later.

I really wanted the Conti TKC's but now that I am getting the XR it isn't as important, the Syncs worked well for me so far, so...
Old 04-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #7055
karviet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Screen

HI

I have a ktm sm 950 2005 without sreen.

Where do you buy yours ?

What about satisfaction ?

Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
It's winter here too. I'm sooo missing riding it.

karviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #7056
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
Have you thought about putting a set of Perelli Scorpion Trails on your SM? A bit like the Conti Trail Attack (95/5) but should give you a bit better traction on dirt/gravel without sacrificing too much pavement traction.

Fwiw, I used the Scorpion Trails on my CapoNord and was pleased with them in all respects. The Capo's probably 150 pounds heavier, so I suspect they would be at least as good on a 950SM.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #7057
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
Fwiw, I used the Scorpion Trails on my CapoNord and was pleased with them in all respects. The Capo's probably 150 pounds heavier, so I suspect they would be at least as good on a 950SM.
As usual Walter has the inside scoop. Thanks Walter! Looking forward to the XR.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #7058
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
What were your symptoms, chain noise? I'm finding it hard to believe you bottomed and bent it, my SE does and Adv saw massive hits off jumps and drop offs where the suspension hit hard. For all I know though, they were / are both bent?
I'm a bit baffled too how a seemingly minor jump could bend the swingarm. I spoke with Kent Soignier of GMD Computrack in Atlanta and he believes that the wheel hitting the exhaust is at the root of it. He's seen some twisted parts that are the results of bottoming out. All the energy has to go somewhere when the suspension is all used up. My front forks had bottomed too just before the big jolt. BTW, the jolt was different than anything I have felt before and I have done some frame cracking, peg and shock bending hits.

When I did the string/square thing, I measured the gap between the string and square versus the length of the square and calculated the offset for the distance between the pivot axle and the rear wheel axle. The sprocket had been pushed over nearly 1/4"! Yeah there was some chain noise. After the big jolt the chain noise may have got a little worse, but it was always fairly noisy. When I put on the new chain and sprockets, the noise got downright ugly. When I rode it, the chain was visibly jumping side-to-side. I parked it and double and triple checked the adjustments and they were right.

I discussed it with an Adv riding buddy of mine in Colo and he also says there's no way any of my little girly jumps could bend a KTM swingarm but I'm looking at a bent swingarm none the less. We decided that it was probably bent some when I bought it and I bent it more. I'm anxious to see how the new swingarm does.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:18 PM   #7059
c6gc2bch
Banned

Oddometer: 8
I used the Scorpion Trails on my CapoNord and was pleased with them in all respects. The Capo's probably 150 pounds heavier, so I suspect they would be at least as good on a 950SM.
c6gc2bch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #7060
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590

I thought it fitting to bring this up on the eve of Friday the 13th. Why in the world does KTM choose to use bolts and nuts that require a 13mm wrench or socket. For goodness sake, make it a 12mm or a 14mm and drop the 13mm. I hate digging for a 13mm wrench or socket.

The Japanese bikes never use a 13mm for anything.

Now that i got that off my chest "Happy Friday 13th to all"
Thumper996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #7061
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

swingarm update

It was storming pretty good this morning but I had to get out in the garage before work to see how the 'new' swingarm lined up. When the lower shock eye just slipped in with just a couple of raps with the palm of my hand I about laughed out loud. The last time I had the shock loose it was an ordeal to get it back in. The chain lines up perfectly now. I did fire it up just to see how it tracked and there was no grinding. The chain is perfectly centered on the teeth of both sprockets. Holy crap! I need to take it back apart to remove the spring and sort out the clearance issue. I also need to get the swingarm powder coated black. Here's what a silver one looks like on an SMR.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:51 AM   #7062
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMoto View Post
It was storming pretty good this morning but I had to get out in the garage before work to see how the 'new' swingarm lined up. When the lower shock eye just slipped in with just a couple of raps with the palm of my hand I about laughed out loud. The last time I had the shock loose it was an ordeal to get it back in. The chain lines up perfectly now. I did fire it up just to see how it tracked and there was no grinding. The chain is perfectly centered on the teeth of both sprockets. Holy crap! I need to take it back apart to remove the spring and sort out the clearance issue. I also need to get the swingarm powder coated black. Here's what a silver one looks like on an SMR.

Wow! That must have taken a good shot before you owned it and maybe that weakened it or something? I was expecting to hear you had a bent frame too. Glad it worked out, silver isn't as bad as I thought it might look on the SMR. I might just leave it.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #7063
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper996 View Post
I thought it fitting to bring this up on the eve of Friday the 13th. Why in the world does KTM choose to use bolts and nuts that require a 13mm wrench or socket. For goodness sake, make it a 12mm or a 14mm and drop the 13mm. I hate digging for a 13mm wrench or socket.

The Japanese bikes never use a 13mm for anything.

Now that i got that off my chest "Happy Friday 13th to all"
I hate the stupid torx things they use, you know, the weird star kind of looks like a phillips head but isn't. There are a couple of those stupid fastners on the bike. I think the rear brake lever end is one spot and the heat shield is another.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #7064
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Battery Update

Well, it looks like my multimeter is fubared.

I took my dead, 0v battery to the dealer who promptly measured 13.2 with their meter.

What seems to be the issue is an bad connection at the starter solenoid. When I put the battery back in the bike I hit the starter, the solenoid clicked, then sizzled a little and then the bike cranked and fired right up.

Go figure.

I'll pull the terminals this weekend and clean them all.

I hope that cures my ills.
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #7065
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Wow! That must have taken a good shot before you owned it and maybe that weakened it or something? I was expecting to hear you had a bent frame too. Glad it worked out, silver isn't as bad as I thought it might look on the SMR. I might just leave it.
Hi Navin- The previous owner was a big guy. He posted once that he was 285lbs, and if I remember correctly, he also said something about jumping curbs with it. I weigh 100lbs less and can bottom it out too easily. I need to send my suspension to Slavens one of these days.The jump last summer was a little uphill left hander that I pitched sideways in air to land lined up in the corner. I was in 2nd going maybe 25-30mph. Nothing radical by any means. I think your right that it was weakened before I got it and I just bent it a little more The silver is growing on me....

EastSideSM- I have been running a Scorpion Trail on the rear and it feels just like the Sync. Of course I've been riding around with a rear wheel 1/4" off center so that may not mean too much!