Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #7066
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMoto View Post
Hi Navin- The previous owner was a big guy. He posted once that he was 285lbs, and if I remember correctly, he also said something about jumping curbs with it. I weigh 100lbs less and can bottom it out too easily. I need to send my suspension to Slavens one of these days.The jump last summer was a little uphill left hander that I pitched sideways in air to land lined up in the corner. I was in 2nd going maybe 25-30mph. Nothing radical by any means. I think your right that it was weakened before I got it and I just bent it a little more The silver is growing on me....

EastSideSM- I have been running a Scorpion Trail on the rear and it feels just like the Sync. Of course I've been riding around with a rear wheel 1/4" off center so that may not mean too much!
Thanks Buck. Good info. Just picked up the XR4 last night, it is in nice shape for an '01. Gonna mess with it this weekend and get to know her a little. I need to get it registered. Love the DMV.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #7067
teambft
teambft

Oddometer: 1,174
Carbon Fiber swingarm cover

Anyone know of a U.S. source for a carbon fiber swingarm cover for my 2006 950 SM?

Found carbon performances euro site but cant find their US distributor.
teambft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #7068
Jackazz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Here's what a silver one looks like on an SMR.

ooh yuck!

Jackazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #7069
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
polished wheel edge

Well I finally got rear wheel strip and polish done and back on the bike.

Thumper996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:09 PM   #7070
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

header wrap

Finally also got the pipe rewraped.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:10 AM   #7071
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Looks good THumper. Guys over in Orange Crush claim that wrapping the exhaust leads to premature corrosion if you ride in the wet a lot. These headers are not stainless, but mild steel. IMve already repaired mine which cracked at the flange on the front cyl. The steel is VERY thin. Probably not much of an issues if you aren't getting wet a lot. And you say rewrapped so you would have a better idea if that is just horseshit.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:31 AM   #7072
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
if that is just horseshit.

Yep it is, as the GMan would say "We will just have to agree to disagree on that subject"

Also i don't play in the dirt with my SM, i use a real dirt bike for that.

Thanks for the comments.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #7073
Dirty Hippie
Somewhere in a canyon

Oddometer: 227
Thinking about trying a windscreen. I've been on the highway more lately and I am getting beat to death by the wind. Anyone have one they'd like to sell?
Dirty Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:55 AM   #7074
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
I've got a 690 screen I don't use anymore
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #7075
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper996 View Post
I would repectfully have to say 'we will just have to agree to disagree on that subject'! I just can't see riding a bike in the black and white terms of either street or dirt. I see it as many stratas of shades of gray. At the extreme pavement end I see that strata as slab riding and the extreme dirt end as trials riding. 90% of the dirt riding I do on the SMR would be an absolute snooze fest for me on a 'real dirt bike' but it presents a fun challange on the SMR because it's heavy and awkward. Conversely, 90% of the pavement riding I do on this bike IS a snooze fest. I'd actually rather be in my car for a lot of it. That percentage would change if I lived in or near mountains or hills where fun roads are plentiful. The SMR shares so much of its DNA with the SE and Adv as well as the Super Duke, and I see it straddling the stratas of pavement and dirt. I really envy your pavement skills that you have shown in your track video and I chose the SMR because I hope to develop some pavement skills. Doing figure 8s in a big parking lot or sneaking laps at a middle school just don't help that cause. My wife and I are really hoping to get back to Colorado if the oppurtunity ever presents itself.

BTW, I like your wheels and wrap job. Nicely done! As a friendly jab though, might I ask why you have a skidplate?
Old 04-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #7076
angustoyou
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper996 View Post
Yep it is, as the GMan would say "We will just have to agree to disagree on that subject"

Thanks for the comments.
Excuse my ignorance, but hat's the benefit of wrapping the exhausts?
angustoyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #7077
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I would repectfully have to say 'we will just have to agree to disagree on that subject'! I just can't see riding a bike in the black and white terms of either street or dirt. I see it as many stratas of shades of gray. At the extreme pavement end I see that strata as slab riding and the extreme dirt end as trials riding. 90% of the dirt riding I do on the SMR would be an absolute snooze fest for me on a 'real dirt bike' but it presents a fun challange on the SMR because it's heavy and awkward. Conversely, 90% of the pavement riding I do on this bike IS a snooze fest. I'd actually rather be in my car for a lot of it. That percentage would change if I lived in or near mountains or hills where fun roads are plentiful. The SMR shares so much of its DNA with the SE and Adv as well as the Super Duke, and I see it straddling the stratas of pavement and dirt. I really envy your pavement skills that you have shown in your track video and I chose the SMR because I hope to develop some pavement skills. Doing figure 8s in a big parking lot or sneaking laps at a middle school just don't help that cause. My wife and I are really hoping to get back to Colorado if the oppurtunity ever presents itself.

BTW, I like your wheels and wrap job. Nicely done! As a friendly jab though, might I ask why you have a skidplate?
Skid plate was more for a lower chin fairing look.

Thumper996 screwed with this post 04-14-2012 at 10:38 PM
Old 04-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #7078
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Hippie View Post
Thinking about trying a windscreen. I've been on the highway more lately and I am getting beat to death by the wind. Anyone have one they'd like to sell?
I don't have it to sell, but the 690 screen worked pretty good. Looked pretty cool IMO too.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #7079
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

Finally out of the garage

Well i finally got to the bike of the lift. Still dinking around with the graphics and such. I am undecided on the metallic KTM logo's, which is why still have lower and upper decals. One will go for sure or maybe even both. Still gotta strip the front wheel lip as well when i get a free Saturday. The orange wheel slider go removed and the upper orange frame slider will be gone in the near future.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:01 AM   #7080
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Battery problem SOLVED

Loose and lightly corroded terminals on the starter solenoid.

Cleaned and tightened them and all is well!
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote