Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #7081
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,419
I'd ace the decal on the can. But that's just me .
Old 04-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #7082
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Well done! Glad to hear you got it fixed.

NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900rider View Post
Loose and lightly corroded terminals on the starter solenoid.

Cleaned and tightened them and all is well!
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #7083
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
I spoke too soon :(

Still runs on one cylinder intermittently. Did it about five times riding home from work. Power drops all the way off, I pull over and its fine.

I took it right to five star. Even though they weren't open I caught the owner there. He gave me a ride home and a beer!

Awesome dealership.

I hope its not too costly. . .
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #7084
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Update!

First time I have been stranded on the side of the road. Battery died today.

Update pt2. Turns out my Voltage Regulator failed, may well have caused the battery failure...
see here for more details:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=7116

I have had no issues with starting etc. Bike fired on first crank to start the ride, apx 30min into my ride it was almost as if I hit the kill switch. A sudden loss of engine power followed by shutdown. Noticed the speedo display went very dim at the same time. Rolled to a halt in front of a house under construction, tried a couple of times to restart after letting it sit for 15min. Lights would come on but quickly dim and go out, would not turn over..

Long story short I was able to cab it back to my house grab a spare battery, cab back, install, fired right up on the replacement battery. Road home. I plan on going through the electrical system to ensure nothing else is wrong. At this stage it looks like the battery failed, aprox 18 months into ownership. The first year I didn't use a tender, this winter I did. I was led to believe the battery would outlast the stock lead acid and no tender would be needed. No such luck. Glad I had a backup close at hand.

Over three hours dealing with the break down + $60 cab fair = not much fun. Up until today I have been very happy with the TurnTech, not so much now.

NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyMo View Post
I'm using a custom 7.5Ah version, Joe built it for me and had it delivered from NV to my home in MD within 4 days. He's fantastic to work with. I went with TurnTech over Shorai because Shorai didn't begin shipping product until December. I needed a battery in October.

I may have made the same choice to go with the TurnTech even if I had the option of the Shorai at the time. Joe is very responsive (replied to my Email on a Sunday night for example) plus local to the US if you have a problem with the product. The level of service he offers may have been worth the extra $$$ to me over the Shorai. I understood from Joe that he'll soon have the 7.5Ah and 10Ah batteries in hard cases, that may be by this time.

Here are a couple of pics for your viewing enjoyment...

nattyMo screwed with this post 04-23-2012 at 01:52 PM
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #7085
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,491
I've been thru and returned TT, Ballistic, one who's name I can't recall and Shorai batteries for different bikes in the last 18 months. They ain't all they are cracked up to be IMO, not ready for prime time yet. In colder weather I've had them die off during their "warm up" period, never having enough juice to fire the bike as they drain down warming up. Just my experience after owning several. I'll be replacing the one I still have with a Yuasa as when it dies again. Love the weight savings but I don't see the increased capacity or long storage they claim.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #7086
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
Looks good THumper. Guys over in Orange Crush claim that wrapping the exhaust leads to premature corrosion if you ride in the wet a lot. These headers are not stainless, but mild steel. IMve already repaired mine which cracked at the flange on the front cyl. The steel is VERY thin. Probably not much of an issues if you aren't getting wet a lot. And you say rewrapped so you would have a better idea if that is just horseshit.
SM runs a stainless exhaust and ADVs run a plated mild. DAMHIK
I cut up an ADV exhaust to mount on my SM.
Took the flanges off the SM to use on the 990 headers and cut the rear ADV for a Y-into-1. It was clear that the SM system was stainless so we thought the ADV headers were, too. Cough!_!
My welder almost glared at me when we finally figured this out, after he'd wasted those SS rods trying to put a clean weld on the mild. The flanges went easy of course but the Y was a pain.
After it cooled, he hit the systems with a magnet and it didn't want to stick to the SM stuff and snapped right on to the ADV's. YMMV
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:24 AM   #7087
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyMo View Post
First time I have been stranded on the side of the road. Battery died today.

I have had no issues with starting etc. Bike fired on first crank to start the ride, apx 30min into my ride it was almost as if I hit the kill switch. A sudden loss of engine power followed by shutdown. Noticed the speedo display went very dim at the same time. Rolled to a halt in front of a house under construction, tried a couple of times to restart after letting it sit for 15min. Lights would come on but quickly dim and go out, would not turn over..

Long story short I was able to cab it back to my house grab a spare battery, cab back, install, fired right up on the replacement battery. Road home. I plan on going through the electrical system to ensure nothing else is wrong. At this stage it looks like the battery failed, aprox 18 months into ownership. The first year I didn't use a tender, this winter I did. I was led to believe the battery would out last the stock lead acid and no tender would be needed. No such luck. Glad I had a backup close at hand.

Over three hours dealing with the break down + $60 cab fair = not much fun. Up until today I have been very happy with the TurnTech, not so much now.

NM
Crap, I have had a new Shorai now for several months, waiting to install it until I see how you guys like yours. Now I don't know if it is going to get installed at all. Temperatures have warmed so that shouldn't be a problem for a few months. Hope to have the SM in Colorado in Sept but the morning temps wil be it he 40's and now I don't trust the battery. ( Stock battery has lasted 5 years)

Tks for the feedback guys.

KHVol screwed with this post 04-17-2012 at 06:30 AM
KHVol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:33 AM   #7088
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,013
I have had mixed luck with LiFe batteries as well.
My 1st one melted after my very first practise session, and smoke was coming out from under the seat of the bike.

Swapped it out for an 8 cell, and no problems since. It would even fire in the garage in dead of winter on a finicky carbed bike.

Now I have a 12 cell for the KTM. But no cold weather use on it yet....
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #7089
MotoSteve
Functioning Motard

Oddometer: 363
My original also lasted 6 years, drama free. I replaced with he same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
Crap, I have had a new Shorai now for several months, waiting to install it until I see how you guys like yours. Now I don't know if it is going to get installed at all. Temperatures have warmed so that shouldn't be a problem for a few months. Hope to have the SM in Colorado in Sept but the morning temps wil be it he 40's and now I don't trust the battery. ( Stock battery has lasted 5 years)

Old 04-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #7090
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
SM runs a stainless exhaust and ADVs run a plated mild. DAMHIK
I cut up an ADV exhaust to mount on my SM.
Took the flanges off the SM to use on the 990 headers and cut the rear ADV for a Y-into-1. It was clear that the SM system was stainless so we thought the ADV headers were, too. Cough!_!
My welder almost glared at me when we finally figured this out, after he'd wasted those SS rods trying to put a clean weld on the mild. The flanges went easy of course but the Y was a pain.
After it cooled, he hit the systems with a magnet and it didn't want to stick to the SM stuff and snapped right on to the ADV's. YMMV
So forgive me if I mised it, but you ended up with a higher exhaust? What did you end up doing, getting some stainless bent up for the headers or?

I always thought I would just get a bender, some stainless and try to fab some up, but I thought the trickiest part would be joining the short pipe from the "back" of the engine, with the pipe from the front of the engine, and keeping the twin pipes going to the rear.
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #7091
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post

Okay, here is an update on the Shorai. I toasted the first one i got, it had a bad cell. I got a replacement and it works but was still having to do the whole warm up the battery and crank it multiple times when it was cold out. Now that it is getting warmer, it fires up.

So, I think I will get another stocker (mine lasted 4 years NEVER on a tender and spent its life in New England winters, outdoors most of the time) once the weather turns again and run that in the winter. The Shorai is SO FRIGGING LIGHT though. It feels like it is a prop.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #7092
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackazz View Post
ooh yuck!

Hi Jackazz!

That's what I decided too. The swingarm is off getting powder-coated black.

angustoyou- The header wrap contains the heat inside the pipes. When it gets into the 100s in the summer, these bikes tend to run a bit hot. To get the rear cylinder's pipe equal in length to the front's, it goes forward then back next to the front cylinder's pipe and the underside of the engine gets fried with header pipes running all over the place.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #7093
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
... The Shorai is SO FRIGGING LIGHT though. It feels like it is a prop.
that's why I'm keeping one in the SE. I had to warm it up in the winter, but it always started the bike and the weight difference is noticeable when the SE dirtnaps on those very rare () occasions when it does.

Anyway, due to a brain fart, I have an extra one fs in the flea market http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782687 I'll knock $25 off for a participant in this thread if you want it.
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #7094
angustoyou
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMoto View Post
Hi Jackazz!

That's what I decided too. The swingarm is off getting powder-coated black.

angustoyou- The header wrap contains the heat inside the pipes. When it gets into the 100s in the summer, these bikes tend to run a bit hot. To get the rear cylinder's pipe equal in length to the front's, it goes forward then back next to the front cylinder's pipe and the underside of the engine gets fried with header pipes running all over the place.
Thanks Buck. that seems to make sense. My first thought would be that it doesn't allow the heat out of the exhausts, insulating them as it were. I guess I should do some reading up.....
angustoyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:11 AM   #7095
SuperHoon
n00b

Oddometer: 5
my old man picked up a 950sm for cheap recently and it wasnt running quite so right. rich smell at idle, not so good throttle response and starting wasnt like it should have been.

anyway, he went thru the bike to find out why it was running like a bit of a dog. i wonder how many other lc8 engines have had this done, bear in mind this bike was bought from a person who only got it serviced at a dealer.

heres what he had to say about it in another thread on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottLC8 View Post
Went through all the usual carb cleaning and checking for vacuum leaks, balancing but still thought it didn't start properly or have good throttle response off idle and a rich fuel smell at idle. I even googled it and came across this old thread, but no real answer was found.
In the end I decided to check the valve clearances, it was while doing this I realized that someone had put one set of cams in out of phaze but timed it correctly. The easiest way to explain it is the rear cylinder was firing first then the front, 75 degrees later. What is should be is the front cylinder first then the rear 285 degrees later. I think why you get the rich smell is because one cylinder, the front one, has very little work left to do as the rear is still pushing the crank along and when the front fires. With the ignition system firing a spark every time it goes through TDC and carb. ready to supply any time air is pulled in it doesn't do any damage at all to the engine. Just a few hours on the tools to fix it up.
interesting stuff. thinking back at it, the exhaust note was different but being the only lc8 between both of us with the standard pipes it was overlooked. in the upper rpm it just sounded flat.

so essentially, what it ended up being was a 'big bang' style lc8. bike is now in normal configuration and running as it should be with no issues.
SuperHoon is offline   Reply With Quote