Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2012, 08:05 AM   #7231
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
Been losing water, which I attributed to the water pump seal because the oil filter was wavy. Noticed just after new tires, chain, and sprockets (16/41) installed and before getting out for a real ride. Pissed about that, because a shop installed one last year. They possibly cocked it or installed it dry. Anyway, a friend swapped it out this time. But there was also some light blue coolant (I use the Honda premix) spray "dots" on the right side, and under pressure a slight leak. Couldn't see exactly where it was with it on the bike.

So out it comes (pretty straightforward)

Hard to see, but there's a slight dent in the lip in the center of the picture that may have cracked the seam behind it. The "loop" that connects to the oil tank is also broken- which, thinking about it, might have been broken for a while. I'll bring it to a radiator repair shop tomorrow.

Looks kind of forlorn just sitting there

Walter, I had the same thing happen to my radiator, the mounting ring had bent off and I had it rewelded last year. At the same time, I noticed the flange was cracking off my front header and had that repaired too. I now notice that their is a very slight leak along one of the bottom rungs of the rad. This might be a good time for you to install the Samco Silicon hose kit!!! and the upgraded temp switch. That is what I did!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #7232
Michael Back
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Question Any good ideas ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
Im up to page 186 so forgive if this has been brought to the table.

It's an 06 950 SM. Im seeing removed side panels swapped tank and seat for a 990 and some form of headlight , correct? I think it's super bad ass looking.
Does anyone hae any Idea about which headlight that has been used for this bike ?? I think it looks absolutely crazy cool !!
Please help if you have any tips or if you have seen anything similar.

Michael Back, DK
Michael Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:54 AM   #7233
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Back View Post
Does anyone hae any Idea about which headlight that has been used for this bike ?? I think it looks absolutely crazy cool !!
Please help if you have any tips or if you have seen anything similar.

Michael Back, DK
Looks like the SMR tank, high fender removed, the headlight looks like it could be off the 690 or another motorcrosser? It seems to have a slimmer profile than the SM. The tail section looks different also.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #7234
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Visitors

Had a couple of fellow KTM riders over for a wrench session at my place last weekend, plus a short ride out.

nattyMo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #7235
Just Bob
Been There Done That

Oddometer: 257
Been meaning to post pics of my mods. So finally;

I thought the full orange front tank shrounds made the bike look too front heavy. Solved it with some mat black auto vinyl on the top and bottom edges of each shroud. Hit the fat front fender while I was at it. I think it slims the look down nicely.

Was feeling a bit old with the '07, so I did a fashion update with nice new pointy blinkers and mirrors. Presto - Its a new bike.

Hated the shiny hand guards so I hit them with fine steel wool to get a mat finish.

I had risers with the stock handle bars. All was fine but I didn't like the way the grips angled back, didn't fit me. Pulled the risers off and put on Pastrana high bends with an inch off each end to narrow them. The grips now are more parallel to my arms and fit my shoulder width better.

Here it be...

Old 05-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #7236
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Oddometer: 318
Wow! -that looks bad-ass! Nice work Just Bob
Old 05-12-2012, 02:04 AM   #7237
Michael Back
Adventurer

Question Headlight ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
Nice rack and dash, eSong. The denali design looks tough!
So, today I mounted my "special project" Adv high pipes and got them lined up for final touches.

This project consisted of buying the wrong high pipes, from a 990, instead of a 950. This meant that the flanges that fit into the head were too large in diameter. They were cheap and I jumped on them before confirming fit, oh well. Not enough time to track down a set of 950 pipes meant that I cut the flanges off my SM headers and the 990 headers and had the SM flanges welded on. The real fun came when I converted the Adv y-pipe from 2 into 1 outlet. I had no trouble doing the cutting, fitting and lining up the pieces for the welder. The trouble came when the welder asked what material he was welding and I said stainless. Three stainless fill rods, some serious cussing and many reground torch tips later, he called and said, "that was a bitch, I hate welding used exhausts because the carbon contamination kept bubbling the weld away." Little did we know that it was simply a matter of incompatible materials. Luckily he was able to get the header flanges welded on and my carbon Termignoni can adapter fixed up, as well. I was gleeful when I picked up the parts, even though he wasn't proud of how they looked. One of our buddies was there and asked if he could check out the rest of the material that I had cut off the system. I brought it in and he hit it with a magnet... "you guys know that this is mild, right?" Turns out the 990Adv pipes are plated mild.
Needless to say my welder gave me the evil eye and my fee doubled because of stupid tax... I grabbed the remains of the SM system and check it with the magnet, it was definitely stainless. We sat around for a few minutes and cursed KTM and our "safe" assumption that the 990Adv headers were stainless since "every 4T exhaust KTM put on their bikes is stainless, right?" anyhoo...
I used my old thrasher can to make sure everything was in order and will ride it that way, before I put my new carbon can on.

Pics:

Sooo much new ground clearance, and some really exposed cases/oil lines!
Gotta get my skid sorted:

Don't mind the missing tail light, I am chopping that section up for a tail tidy/tuck:
I really like your bike and especially the 17/19 setup !What headlight is that ???

All the best...

Michael, DK
Old 05-12-2012, 02:58 AM   #7238
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,984
+1
Snow hawk that bike is really something cool to watch come to life.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:45 AM   #7239
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bob View Post

Very nice job, Just Bob. Have been noticing mine looks a bit " heavy in the front" too, may have to at least put the orange shrouds on my black tank..nice job.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #7240
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Well, looks like my smr is back in action.

Dead, well dying actually, fuel pump.

I used to think this bike handled well. For the most part it does but after a few weeks of riding my 450exc supermoto the deficits really stand out now :(
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #7241
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by 900rider View Post
Well, looks like my smr is back in action.

Dead, well dying actually, fuel pump.

I used to think this bike handled well. For the most part it does but after a few weeks of riding my 450exc supermoto the deficits really stand out now :(
Ask your 450 to do a wheelie at 70mph on the hwy.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #7242
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
I doubt I could get my 950 to do that :)
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #7243
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,210
I decided to do my three-day trip to WV last weekend and not worry about the water pump seal until this week. So I drained the oil today and the filter is more than a little wavy. Not horrible, but not right either. I guess the time is now to do the water pump rebuild (45K miles on the original seal).

Next big ride is June 9-11 so I have some time to get it done and test it out. I also need to put some fresh brake fluid in the lines, and try to sort out why my clutch interlock switch is jacked (bike only starts in neutral).
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #7244
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,393
A couple of us are riding the Marlinton / Snowshoe / Monterey area this weekend if anyone wants to come on down. Found some more xlnt roads last w/e.

KHVol screwed with this post 05-12-2012 at 10:47 PM
KHVol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:51 AM   #7245
Michael Back
Adventurer

Question Front and rear end clean up

Good day gentlemen ... ,0)

I recently purchased a 07 SM 950 and Im planning on doing some mods on the rear end and the front end.

Does any of you guys have experience with a "cleaner" rear end solution ? Some ideas for a small tail light solution and a smaller license plate holder ? Some photos and tips would be highly appreciated....

Another thing I am considering, is to fit a simpler front light. I have been looking at the front lights that Trail Tech have and I like how simple and "Dirt bike" thay are: http://www.trailtechproducts.co.uk/a...Headlight.html

This would require a custom solution with the stock instrument panel or to fit one of the instruments that Trail Tech have on their web site: http://www.trailtechproducts.co.uk/a...r_Stealth.html

Does any of you have expexiences with the products from Trail tech ?

Thanks a lot for your assistance and for all the very usefull infor in this thread ,0)

All the best.

Michael, DK.