Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #7261
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSONG View Post
my '06 950sm is mostly stock except the canisterectomy...stock exhaust, no engine mods, stock air filter, etc.

do you think the bmc air filter and/or spark plugs will improve fuel economy? anything else i should try?

thanks.

What kind of mileage are you getting now?
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:53 AM   #7262
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,465
Quote:
my '06 950sm is mostly stock except the canisterectomy...stock exhaust, no engine mods, stock air filter, etc.

do you think the bmc air filter and/or spark plugs will improve fuel economy? anything else i should try?

thanks.
I installed new plugs last year and didn't notice any improvement in fuel economy. I did install a BMC air filter last week, but have only run through 1 tank of gas and did not notice any difference in my MPG. I have historically posted low figures though. The only time I can achieve higher mileage is if I ride gingerly, that lasted for like a half a tank of gas.

I'll keep you posted on the BMC though.

My torque limiter replacement did provide a cure for the clakety clack on startup though. I don't remember the bike ever starting so quietly.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #7263
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Oddometer: 311
Quote:

thanks.
You posted earlier that you were only getting 32mpg, which seeems really low. I suspect that swapping the stock exhaust cans to Leos or something similar would help a lot. If you are running the stock 17T countershaft, you might try a 16T. This would give your bike a mechanical advantage when accelerating and would make 6th gear more useful. I get 38-40mpg with a 16T and 40-42mpg with a 15T (stock rear 41T). I do not and would not reccomend slab riding with the 15T on a SM. Our buddies with the ADVs and SEs can get away with that because they have 18" rims with much taller profile tires that give them a taller effective gearing than our 17" rims with low profile tires.

I have Leos, stock air filter and the SAS blocked off but have decided to keep the cannister. My thought is that all the ethanol they're putting in gas is known to absorb water out of the air and venting through the charcoal may block the moisture. I don't ride to work during the week and can't get out every weekend so contamination from moisture is more of a possibility. Don't know if this is wrongful thinking though.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:26 PM   #7264
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,609
33,199 (S)miles

Seems like a long time since I posted mileage. Mainly because it has been . Between it needing tires, a chain/sprockets, seat redo, water pump redo and the radiator repair in succession, a rainy week; the new bike; and some SE dirt riding; there just wasn't a whole lot of time to ride it: except that I was missing it.

Glad to say it's still a fun ride and kick-ass bike

I like the result: tires (Pilot Road 3), sprocket set (16/41), and seat work (Butt Buffer in Pa.).

Crappy tag picture from today's 150 miler.

wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #7265
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,141
Any suggestions on how to hold the water pump impeller still so that I can remove the bolt holding it onto the shaft? Obviously I do not have the special KTM tool. I saw the homemade one in the HOW, but I have no metal stock laying around to attempt that with. I tried using channel lock pliers, but couldn't get the bolt to break loose. That sucker is on there. I would like to get the repair done this weekend rather than wait for a one-use tool to arrive from KTM.

EDIT: Got the bolt out, case off, and am cleaning old gasket off. Haven't tried to swap the seal, shaft, etc yet. There was a big blob of beige goo in the clutch cover, so I guess that is proof that I have a leaky seal.

Garry screwed with this post 05-19-2012 at 04:56 AM
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #7266
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,014
Walter...can I get some pics of that seat? Is it any lower than stock?
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #7267
eSONG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMoto View Post
You posted earlier that you were only getting 32mpg, which seeems really low. I suspect that swapping the stock exhaust cans to Leos or something similar would help a lot. If you are running the stock 17T countershaft, you might try a 16T. This would give your bike a mechanical advantage when accelerating and would make 6th gear more useful. I get 38-40mpg with a 16T and 40-42mpg with a 15T (stock rear 41T). I do not and would not reccomend slab riding with the 15T on a SM. Our buddies with the ADVs and SEs can get away with that because they have 18" rims with much taller profile tires that give them a taller effective gearing than our 17" rims with low profile tires.

I have Leos, stock air filter and the SAS blocked off but have decided to keep the cannister. My thought is that all the ethanol they're putting in gas is known to absorb water out of the air and venting through the charcoal may block the moisture. I don't ride to work during the week and can't get out every weekend so contamination from moisture is more of a possibility. Don't know if this is wrongful thinking though.
yes, i'm getting about 32mpg.. it's one major downside coming from my 625smc, which got about 45mpg.

i'll give the 16T a try when it's time to swap my chain/sprockets. is anyone else getting better mileage with the 16T..?
eSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:17 AM   #7268
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
Any suggestions on how to hold the water pump impeller still so that I can remove the bolt holding it onto the shaft? ...
Glad to see you got it out. My friend had the tool, so I would have been of no help.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:20 AM   #7269
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
Walter...can I get some pics of that seat? Is it any lower than stock?
Looks exactly like stock because he used his padding under the stock cover. And yes, I know this violates a cardinal farkling rule- ie. only spend money on what you can see/hear

Seat height is pretty much the same. I guess it can be lower if needed- higher as well with a different cover.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #7270
karviet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
windscreen

hi walter, you are on this forum since the beginning, so maybe you can help me.
i have read a link for a screen, not colored which can be used with all the bike.
If you don't know, can you tell me how can make a research of link on this forum and a research of picture too.
thank you for your answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
Looks exactly like stock because he used his padding under the stock cover. And yes, I know this violates a cardinal farkling rule- ie. only spend money on what you can see/hear

Seat height is pretty much the same. I guess it can be lower if needed- higher as well with a different cover.
karviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:23 PM   #7271
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by karviet View Post
i have read a link for a screen, not colored which can be used with all the bike.
If you don't know, can you tell me how can make a research of link on this forum and a research of picture too.
thank you for your answer.

Here you go: Laminar Lip tall screen for the KTM 950 supermoto. Tall, clear screen that mounts to the headlight mask with 3M "dots". I have a smoked version:

http://www.laminarlip.com/supermoto.php
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:51 AM   #7272
Smilin' Dave
I am smiling

Oddometer: 117
H2W jet kit should get you 38-40mpg.
'96 KLR 650
'88 ZX-10
Smilin' Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #7273
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by karviet View Post
If you don't know, can you tell me how can make a research of link on this forum and a research of picture too. thank you for your answer.

The screen I have (from Hyde Racin) is no longer available. Sorry.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #7274
duroturk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Ok fellas, I'm in!

Old 05-22-2012, 08:04 AM   #7275
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by duroturk View Post