User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #7321
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Oddometer: 311
GoPro Videos

I got the video thing sorted out and have a couple uploaded. The 1st one is probably more visually interesting but from a riding standpoint, the 2nd one was more intense in a Baja-lite sort of way. I don't know if that intensity shows up that well in video though. From about 2:10 on in the 2nd video is my favorite stretch of dirt road. Both should be playable at 720p HD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmeXx...t=HL1338916138

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C96XP...t=HL1338916138

One thing I learned that should have been obvious is, that with a chest mount, all you really see is the gas tank if you lean forward at speed.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #7322
B50Paul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Nice Vid , Kansas is so flat you can see the curve of the earth , or was that the gopro
paul
B50Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #7323
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Very cool videos. What are you running for tires, and are you running a skidplate at all?
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:40 AM   #7324
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,672
Big tank option

David sent me these pictures of his recently finished 5 gallon aluminum tank.

wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #7325
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Quote:
Originally Posted by B50Paul View Post
Nice Vid , Kansas is so flat you can see the curve of the earth , or was that the gopro
paul
I think there are places in Kansas that are flat and treeless enough to see the curve of the earth. I wish I had the GoPro tilted upwards a few degrees more - that would have fixed a lot of that. It's a bit tricky to figure exactly where the camera is looking when it's strapped to you. Next time I'll bring a small level and set it that way.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #7326
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post

I applaud the initiative. . .

but it's weird looking
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:48 AM   #7327
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Quote:
Originally Posted by preppypyro View Post
Very cool videos. What are you running for tires, and are you running a skidplate at all?
Hey thanks! The tires are the Pirelli Scorpions. I have an older "Sync" on front and a newer "Trail" on the back. They never really feel planted at speed on the dirt and gravel. When I first started riding this bike on these roads, I'd get to about 35mph and the squirming about on a 450lb bike freaked me out and I'd slow down. I found that the squirming eased off above 45mph and that was liberating. I don't have a skid plate so I'm very cautious around bigger rocks.

Speaking of tires, the Continental TKC 80 was announced in the new Cycle World (July 2012) on page 86. There's a photo of them mounted on a very sinister looking BMW.

Walter- The guy that made that tank has serious skills!
Old 06-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #7328
Milar
Life is an adventure.

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMoto View Post
I got the video thing sorted out and have a couple uploaded. The 1st one is probably more visually interesting but from a riding standpoint, the 2nd one was more intense in a Baja-lite sort of way. I don't know if that intensity shows up that well in video though. From about 2:10 on in the 2nd video is my favorite stretch of dirt road. Both should be playable at 720p HD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmeXx...t=HL1338916138

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C96XP...t=HL1338916138

One thing I learned that should have been obvious is, that with a chest mount, all you really see is the gas tank if you lean forward at speed.
I grew up in Eastern Kansas and my mom still lives in Council Grove. Love the Flint Hlls. I never thought of taking the SM back for some riding. Where were the Video's shot?

M
Old 06-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #7329
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milar View Post
I grew up in Eastern Kansas and my mom still lives in Council Grove. Love the Flint Hlls. I never thought of taking the SM back for some riding. Where were the Video's shot?

M
Hi Milar!

Short answer: These 2 videos were shot between the towns of Latham and Howard way to the south of Council Grove.

Long Answer: The 1st video with the creek crossings starts turning off of Limestone Road onto Rd 9 heading north and then east on Mule Rd. After the rocky bridge crossing, the video switches to parts of Road 13 which also runs north off of Limestone Rd. further to the east. The 2nd video (actually filmed before) takes SE 200 Rd east out of Latham. This road has two turns in it and changes names at each turn. At about 2:10 in the video, that turn to the east on the roller rocks is the start of Oxen Rd. That video ends at the junction of Oxen and Road 5.

I don't know if you have seen this site before, but if you go to the "Gallery" tab, you should find a few ride reports for the Northern Flint Hills which might cover roads that you're familiar with around Council Grove. I've never ridden with these folks but this site is how I got hooked on riding out there.

http://www.backroadstouring.org/kansas/index2.htm
Old 06-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #7330
aerone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Naught

Have any of you ever seen the Naught ? It's a Norton Manx appearing art piece built by a friend in Chattanooga. I talked him into building this tank. He agrees that it's not pretty. I almost left it bare and I don't much like the logos as they are. It wont be changing soon.
No more worries about the expanding plastic stocker.
aerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #7331
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

2 more videos

Here's two more videos that I finished from the same ride. In the interest of full disclosure, one of these is on pavement and it's plain to see that I suck on corners! On my behalf though, on the last corner I was waiting to see around the stone wall before getting back on the gas because I've encountered loose cows in the road here before!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs-peS-I9Lg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewLmd0OiI_I

P.S. - The first video in this post (pavement) will not play on mobile devices. It looks like the copyright holder of the song I used does not allow that.

BuckMoto screwed with this post 06-07-2012 at 09:00 AM Reason: add P.S.
BuckMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #7332
karviet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
WOW
very good job, how much is it for this tank ?

Quote:

karviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:30 AM   #7333
aerone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Unobtainium

I doubt he will make another one. He usually builds art bikes and the tanks only have two holes. One for the gas to go in and one out. I had to leave my bike at his house for months as well. Let's just say I paid more than a stock tank for it. The stocker is $1100. and it will grow from ethanol just like the one I replaced.

Go to RickBooth.com for his gallery and contact.
aerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #7334
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,672
45T Rear Sprocket Question

Iirc a couple of you have put 45T rear sprockets on. Were these stock 950/990 items?

tia
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #7335
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Quote:
Iirc a couple of you have put 45T rear sprockets on. Were these stock 950/990 items?

tia

If you are thinking of jumping 3 teeth in the rear from a stock 42 tooth to a 45, you might consider simply dropping a tooth in front instead. The gearing would end up nearly identical plus you can alternate between 1-tooth different countershaft sprockets to suit your ride and only need a chain adjustment. Adding 3 teeth on the rear would probably require more chain links.

17/45 = 2.647:1
16/42 = 2.625:1

16/45 = 2.8125:1
15/42 = 2.8:1 (my current gearing)

The 15 tooth fronts are available at the Sprocket Center

http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/5484...ket---ktm.html

I have had no issues with the 15 tooth countershaft (especially now that I have a straight swingarm!).