User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #7366
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,296
For those of you who were looking -
I got a set of the new Conti Trail Attacks in 180X55R17 and 120X70R17 and mounted them this afternoon hoping that they would be better in the gravel than the Dunlop Road Smarts that I had. So far (a mile and a half of new gravel) they are no better and on Rt 55 gave me the sensation that the bike wanted to fall into turns. That may go away with time (I only have 100 miles on the tires). Leaving Saturday or Sunday to pick up a friend in St. Cloud and then circumnavigate Lake Superior. Will see how they do on the trip.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #7367
eSONG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
I got a set of the new Conti Trail Attacks in 180X55R17 and 120X70R17 and mounted them this afternoon hoping that they would be better in the gravel than the Dunlop Road Smarts that I had. So far (a mile and a half of new gravel) they are no better and on Rt 55 gave me the sensation that the bike wanted to fall into turns. That may go away with time (I only have 100 miles on the tires). Leaving Saturday or Sunday to pick up a friend in St. Cloud and then circumnavigate Lake Superior. Will see how they do on the trip.

GL and hope you have a great trip! Keep us posted if you can.
eSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #7368
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post

Mike, Try 4 more pounds of pressure in the front tire
Old 06-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #7369
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
Mike, Try 4 more pounds of pressure in the front tire
Will do. IIRC we started with 34 yesterday. I'll check and add.
Thanks!

USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
Old 06-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #7370
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
I would be riding in WV right now if I had packed my spare... Turns out my oil tank sight tube started leaking too (was replaced once). Sigh...

EDIT: Fuel pump replaced. Just got back from a half hour shakedown ride. Bike is back to normal. In retrospect, I was noticing symptoms of the pump going bad a couple weeks ago. I noticed a bit more vibration when grabbing a handful and the bike didn't feel "crisp". The idle was a little off: sometimes fast, then slow. Weird. I suspect the vibration was due to the carbs not getting equal fuel and essentially being out of balance. Then Friday afternoon, the vibration got worse and the bike felt down on power when exiting uphill corners or passing. Then it got to the point where anything more than 1/3 throttle (guessing) was pointless.
Mine literally just died. Luckily I was close to home. Limped back but it is getting dark and I'm garageless. Have to wait till morning to swap out.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #7371
scooterqualified
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Hello thread,
Recently acquired an 06 950sm and the bike met all expectations except now it's got me breaking my head.

I took it on a 500 mile weekend and all was fine till about 5 blocks from home (lucky me) I had the oil pressure sensor go out and shoot oil all over. Luckily it looked worse than it was and I limped it home.

Fast forward... I remove the carbs and airbox to change the sensor then put everything back together and the bike runs like crap. Will not run without choke. I figured the carbs were not seated well. After taking everything apart again I was right, the carbs were loose on the intake. Several frustrating hours later I figured out how to mount the carbs properly and tighten clams using the access panels on the airbox. Carbs seated well, clamps on properly, all the rubber lips in the intake recesses seated, Everything buttoned up and guess what the bike runs like crap still. Will barely start on choke, no choke no start after it warms up it stays running but barely if any throttle is given it dies, cannot even adjust idle without bike dying almost ran down battery trying to keep it going or starting. I can hear the fuel pump prime, the bike had emissions canisters and associated equipment removed by p/o and block offs installed,. I got really frustrated and left it alone. Tomorrow will try to disassemble everything and try to reseat the carbs again, just looking for any other pointers that I may be overlooking. Bike has full tank of fresh gas.
scooterqualified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:10 AM   #7372
okemos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
FS: Foot peg stabilizers

Looking to sell these aluminum foot peg stabilizers that came with the 2006 KTM 950 supermoto that I just bought. I understand they are a pleasant upgrade to your bike if you enjoy standing on your pegs a lot because they increase the surface area of the peg. They will fit the 950 and the 990, and other KTM models. Included are the allen head SS metric screws, the 4 mm tap, and the pilot drill bit. Installation is pretty straightforward. I could talk you through it with a phone call when you're ready to install them.

Available to anyone in the lower 48 states, USA

$95 if picked up in person
Add $5 for shipping
PayPal preferred

Please call Rob at (517) 420- eight zero zero six
Mason, Michigan
Eastern TIme Zone

okemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:34 AM   #7373
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterqualified View Post
Hello thread,.
make sure the 4 vacuum ports, one on either side of each intake right under the airbox, are sealed. Also the carb vent lines, one on each carb, that route through the bottom of the airbox either into a Y or individually cant be kinked or blocked or bike wont run right
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #7374
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
make sure the 4 vacuum ports, one on either side of each intake right under the airbox, are sealed. Also the carb vent lines, one on each carb, that route through the bottom of the airbox either into a Y or individually cant be kinked or blocked or bike wont run right
+1. What he said.
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:02 AM   #7375
lousgoose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Seems like I've wanted one of these bikes forever. I test drove 2 of them about 4 years ago and I still can't get it out of my brain, the smiles, the fun, the sheer oneness I felt with the bike. So now I'm lookin' at a 950 but it's been down at slow speeds. The back plastic exhaust guard will need to be replaced as well as a portion of the plastic radiator guard. For the radiator guard, are these 2 different parts or one piece? Are these parts readily available from KTM and if so, how much should I expect to pay? Guess I'd have to find some new stickers as well. Oh to dream.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:35 AM   #7376
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by lousgoose View Post
Seems like I've wanted one of these bikes forever. I test drove 2 of them about 4 years ago and I still can't get it out of my brain, the smiles, the fun, the sheer oneness I felt with the bike. So now I'm lookin' at a 950 but it's been down at slow speeds. The back plastic exhaust guard will need to be replaced as well as a portion of the plastic radiator guard. For the radiator guard, are these 2 different parts or one piece? Are these parts readily available from KTM and if so, how much should I expect to pay? Guess I'd have to find some new stickers as well. Oh to dream.

Contact Chip at Munn Racing and provide the part#. He can tell you how much the discount price will be and if available.
http://www.munnracing.com/
Thumper996 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #7377
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

You can also go to KTM-Parts.com and look the part number up. If you order on line, there is a 10% discount. If you wait for one of their 6 yearly sales, that discount becomes 20%. Their micro-fisch is easy to use.

USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
Old 06-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #7378
DM47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Oil filter options

Oil Filters: Hopefully a discussion not as controversial as oil itself.

1) I'm am NOT considering a Scott S/S filter at this time. Let's get this out of the way up front.

B. The OEM unit is expensive. I see that K&N makes a filter that's about 1/2 - 1/3 the cost of OEM. I also see some other brands that I've never heard of before (That concerns me).

What else is there?
Is the K&N a decent filter?
Anybody here with actual experience with the K&N, or any other "decent quality" pleated paper oil filters that fit the LC8?
DM47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #7379
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

I've used K&N air and oil filters in every vehicle I've owned for over 30 years.

They work as advertized. We've even seen horsepower increases on the dyno.

USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
Old 06-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #7380
eSONG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM47 View Post
Oil Filters: Hopefully a discussion not as controversial as oil itself.

1) I'm am NOT considering a Scott S/S filter at this time. Let's get this out of the way up front.

B. The OEM unit is expensive. I see that K&N makes a filter that's about 1/2 - 1/3 the cost of OEM. I also see some other brands that I've never heard of before (That concerns me).

What else is there?
Is the K&N a decent filter?
Anybody here with actual experience with the K&N, or any other "decent quality" pleated paper oil filters that fit the LC8?
I use this: HiFlo KTM RC8/LC8 Oil Filter

http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-950-990-...lc8-oil-filter
eSONG is offline   Reply With Quote