Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #7396
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by angustoyou View Post
This may have been mentioned before, but I've had time to test them myself properly, and it may help someone.

On the Michelin site, the recommendation for tyres for the 950SM is for Power Ones or Pilot Power. They're a bit full on sports for me, I wanted a more versatile tyre for my recent Scotland trip, (read good in the wet) so I went for the Pilot Road 3, a sports touring tyre that's been well rated in all the magazines, and from asking around the guys that do regular all weather riding.

When I fitted and balanced them, I found I had a weave at around 100mph, I was advised to up the rear pressure by 4psi, and sure enough, it vanished.

We did 1500 miles in 6 days, and the weather went from cold and driving rain on day one, through cold and dry (snow on the roadsides at the mountain tops!) to getting warmer, finishing hot on the ride home (typical!)

Immense riding, great views, and the tyres were superb. Day one, when we hit Loch Lomond and the first really good, quiet twisties in the driving rain, I cleared off from the other guys, Fazer 1000, Bandit 1200, Tiger 950, turned round, then caught them back up again. Not a twitch or a slip anywhere, felt really good. Equally at home in the dry, and after 2000 miles now, wearing slowly and evenly.

Recommended.
I am currently running PP Road II on the rear and PP 2ct on front on both my SV650S and KTM Duke II and i flat out love them. The mid-liter bike engine brake eats up the softer tires, but the PP Road III is soft on the sides and harder in the middle more than a 2CT and is wearing great.
Thumper996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:27 AM   #7397
scooterqualified
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I've read and researched about x-bike jetting but I cannot figure out where to purchase jets for that carb andare there any suggested settings with a stock exhaust

scooterqualified screwed with this post 07-05-2012 at 10:06 AM
scooterqualified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #7398
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterqualified View Post
Mine was so bad that it would hardly start and if I did start it, it would stumble and die off choke and if I gave it any throttle or even adjusted idle. The trick its to blow into the vacuum line and see if u can hear the fuel spray out of the carbs, any restriction while you blow is unacceptable. After I got it right everything ran as it did before. I read earlier in the thread that if the hose is vented the wrong way or behind somewhere where an air pocket develops it will cause performance problems but don't remember specifics.
Thanks. I'll take another look tonight.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #7399
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterqualified View Post
I've read and researched about x-bike jetting but I cannot figure out where to purchase jets for that carb andare there any suggested settings with a stock exhaust
http://www.JetsRUs.com
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #7400
eSONG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
DID 525ZVM-X Chains Super Street X-Ring Chain Gold

120 links

Is this the correct chain for the 950sm???
eSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #7401
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
I have 16/41 sprockets on my bike and I bought a 120 link chain and had to cut links off. Cant recall how many though.
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #7402
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSONG View Post
DID 525ZVM-X Chains Super Street X-Ring Chain Gold

120 links

Is this the correct chain for the 950sm???
I put a new chain and sprockets on the bike over the winter. My notes show a 16/41 sprocket combo and a 112 link 525 chain. I ordered the set from www.SprocketCenter.com. They sell it as a kit with a chain cut to the correct length.

The parts PDF also says the stock chain is 112 links.
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #7403
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,906
Happy Birthday to us

Hard to believe it's been 6 years since the thread was started. And it surprises me that it's the most replied to and viewed thread in Road Warriors:

Replies

Views

More impressive than that is the high level of discourse that's taken place in the thread. And for that I thank you.

On a more topical issue- all is not well with the SM-- it overheated on the way home from a ride Sunday. It would climb through 5 bars, the fan would go on and it just went to 6 and then 7 bars if I let it. No hint of anything until it just started happening. Fortunately, it started about 12 miles from home, so I was able to ride about a mile or two, turn it off for 10 minutes, ride another 1-2 miles, etc.. I was too hot to look into things when I got home, and then went away for the week. I'll have a look tomorrow. I suspect either a thermostat failure or something with the water pump drive mechanism (which was replaced about 1,000 miles ago). Again, no hint of anything, and the oil pressure light is not going on. We'll see.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #7404
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,353
How many miles do you have on your SM now Walter ?
Old 07-06-2012, 11:45 PM   #7405
eSONG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
I put a new chain and sprockets on the bike over the winter. My notes show a 16/41 sprocket combo and a 112 link 525 chain. I ordered the set from www.SprocketCenter.com. They sell it as a kit with a chain cut to the correct length.

The parts PDF also says the stock chain is 112 links.
Cool thanks!
eSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:37 AM   #7406
duroturk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
Hard to believe it's been 6 years since the thread was started.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #7407
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
How many miles do you have on your SM now Walter ?

Just passed 34,000.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #7408
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

I also asked this in the Orange Crush Section to get the wider expertise base, but it's worth doing here as well.

Other than via the water pump mechanism, what might be other ways that oil could get in the water on the LC8? I have enough oil in my water to tint it dark; but there doesn't seem to be water in the oil (by oil filter inspection anyway and the oil pressure light staying off {yes, the light and oil pressure switch work})

TIA
Old 07-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #7409
aerone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Head Gasket Failure

My friends very low miles SMR kept putting fresh oil into the coolant. After a couple of water pump rebuilds. It was pulled down and found to have a tiny breech either on the base or the head. It was almost like a casting imperfection, cured by using some Honda product similar to Yamabond. The oil is pressurized when it goes up through the cylinder. He did new gaskets and rings, problem has not reoccured.
aerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #7410
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
OK, my brothers, I've been riding it for a week now.

Going to a 16 on the front, and if cash allows, a DID ZVM and Stealth/Sidewinder/Supersprox 41 on the back soon.
Countershaft for sure, soon though.

When riding it in town, today was Pismo, Arroyo Grande, San Luis Obispo, and the general area, the cooling fan keeps cycling on and off, if I'm at a light, it generally comes on when I'm sitting there, going off as soon as I get rolling. Is this normal? The temp indicator is usually one or two bars above the middle line. Also, I thought I smelled coolant when sitting in traffic, although it could have been a nearby car. Level seems fine. What are the indications of the water pump failing? Your stories have got me nervous, and the bike is just over 10,000 miles. Anything I can do to make it run cooler? I've always been of the mind that cooler is better.

Front brake has a light squeal to it, the Brembos on my Ducati don't. The KTM brakes feel fine though, other than the "squeal like a pig, boy!".

I'm betting that with the 16 on the front, it will wheelie even better than it does now.

Other than those issues, it's a big time fun bike to ride.

Thanks, Robert
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote