Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2012, 06:39 AM   #7441
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
Hey, nobody answered, and I saw an advertisement again, with the same exhaust being advertised for the 950 SM/990 ADV, and the SE. Are they the same for the whole LC8 range?Thanks, Robert
I beleive they are, but am not positive.
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #7442
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post

Hey goodcat! Good to hear from you. Is that a 2nd Triumph tucked under the overhang? Where's the Suzuki? Did you move to a place with a garage?- you used to post pics in a shared parking garage. Man, when you go, you go all in!

corndog67 - The parts catalog on ktmparts.com shows the same part number for 950 SM, SMR and SE stock exhaust cans but a different number for 990 Adv. They look the same though. I only looked at 2007 models. Maybe you should ask what the return policy is for the place advertising the ones you're looking at just for peace of mind, but I think you won't have any problems.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #7443
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Got up early Sunday to try to avoid some of the triple-digit heat and went for a 200+ mile ride. Explored some new roads.

The next day I discovered this:

I don't know how many of the miles that was in there- that could have been bad! I think someone is looking out for me...

Dang, I just got this tire. The plan was to wear this one out and get a front and rear set of TKC-80's. The rear TKC-80 is still unavailable but will supposedly be available August 12th.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #7444
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,474
Hey Goodcat!!!! Hope you are well. We miss you here.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #7445
Lambo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
That will buff right out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMoto View Post
Got up early Sunday to try to avoid some of the triple-digit heat and went for a 200+ mile ride. Explored some new roads.

The next day I discovered this:

I don't know how many of the miles that was in there- that could have been bad! I think someone is looking out for me...

Dang, I just got this tire. The plan was to wear this one out and get a front and rear set of TKC-80's. The rear TKC-80 is still unavailable but will supposedly be available August 12th.

It never fails with a new tire eh? If you have to get a nail, you were lucky!

Support Mental Health or I'll Kill you.

Ironically, Chuck Norris’ hidden talent is invisibility.
Lambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #7446
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,291
Buck -
What tire do you have on the rear?

I put a set of the new fat Conti Trail Attacks on the bike and I was unimpressed. Black top handling was barely average and gravel was lousy.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #7447
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
Buck -
What tire do you have on the rear?

I put a set of the new fat Conti Trail Attacks on the bike and I was unimpressed. Black top handling was barely average and gravel was lousy.

Hi Mike - the rear is the Pirelli Scorpion Trail. The Trail is what Pirelli replaced the Sync with. Pavement riding with the Trail feels the same as the Sync to me, but someone with more pavement skills might be able to tell a difference. I wish I had your skills to back it into a corner! On packed dirt and rocky sections, I like the Trail maybe even more than the Sync. If you've seen my videos, they were taken using the Trail and it does pretty good on that type of terrain. I don't think anything without knobs will do very good in deep sand or deep gravel though (more than 1-/2 to 2" deep). I'd avoid slippery mud with the Trail too...Hope that helps.

Lambo- I think I need a better buffer!
Old 07-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #7448
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,291
Thanks Buck! I have a set of the fat TKC-80s on order but need something that is closer to a 85/15 since I wind up riding 10% to 15% gravel every time I ride. When the Conti's are shot I'll try the Perelli's. I plan to get two sets of the TKCs, one to play with and one for Alaska next year.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #7449
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,960
Quote:
Hey goodcat! Good to hear from you. Is that a 2nd Triumph tucked under the overhang? Where's the Suzuki? Did you move to a place with a garage?- you used to post pics in a shared parking garage. Man, when you go, you go all in!
New bikes, new apartment, my own garage. Good stuff. Thats an 83 nighthawk I grabbed as a project. Unloading her in the fleamarket as we speak.

I cant wait to hear some feed back w/ the new twinduro's on an SM.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/06/28...product-ideas/

Old 07-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #7450
eSONG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
i lost the adjusting nut for the headlight adjuster on my last ride. 06 950sm. ktm oem microfiche doesn't show the actual nut thread/pitch.

does anyone happen to know what size nut i need?
eSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #7451
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Buffing it out

OK, so I figure the tire is trash, why not see if I can buff it out! I slit the tire with a Dremel cut-off wheel along the nail and pulled it straight up.

Then I ground out a new tread groove to better expose the area to see how bad it looked. I got the idea from snowhawk jockey (page 394, post# 5900) who takes used tires and cuts new tread.

There is still a bit of a slice in the groove, and the groove is about the depth of the real tread grooves.

I don't know how safe this would be for easy riding, or if it would be nuts to even consider it. If it could make it for one or two more rides before August 12th when the TKC-80s are supposed to be available, that would save $200. Snowhawk, are you out there buddy? What do you think?
Old 07-17-2012, 11:59 PM   #7452
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSONG View Post
i lost the adjusting nut for the headlight adjuster on my last ride. 06 950sm. ktm oem microfiche doesn't show the actual nut thread/pitch.

does anyone happen to know what size nut i need?

I was missing the entire headlight adjusting assembly. I ordered it on a thursday locally here in Canada. They checked and it as int he warehouse in Ohio or Indiana (ICR).....they phoned me next day at noon and said it had arrived. It was all less than 10 bux, for 3 or 4 pcs.

On a sidenote. SierraBMW has a Leo Vince sale. Leo slipons for our bikes at $583.Good or no?
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:06 AM   #7453
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
OK, so I figure the tire is trash, why not see if I can buff it out! I slit the tire with a Dremel cut-off wheel along the nail and pulled it straight up.

Then I ground out a new tread groove to better expose the area to see how bad it looked. I got the idea from snowhawk jockey (page 394, post# 5900) who takes used tires and cuts new tread.

There is still a bit of a slice in the groove, and the groove is about the depth of the real tread grooves.

I don't know how safe this would be for easy riding, or if it would be nuts to even consider it. If it could make it for one or two more rides before August 12th when the TKC-80s are supposed to be available, that would save $200. Snowhawk, are you out there buddy? What do you think?
You're making a lot of work for yourself. Just pull the nail out and plug the hole.
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:08 AM   #7454
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Never mind. I see what you did now.

If it holds air you're fine.
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:02 AM   #7455
eSONG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
I was missing the entire headlight adjusting assembly. I ordered it on a thursday locally here in Canada. They checked and it as int he warehouse in Ohio or Indiana (ICR).....they phoned me next day at noon and said it had arrived. It was all less than 10 bux, for 3 or 4 pcs.

On a sidenote. SierraBMW has a Leo Vince sale. Leo slipons for our bikes at $583.Good or no?
yup i know its cheap but i need it by thursday and i just noticed it the other day. it's just a nut and locking washer that i need, probably about 50 cents at the hardware store. just need to know what size. i'll just ride the bike over and try different sizes til i find the right one.
eSONG is offline   Reply With Quote