Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2006, 08:07 PM   #61
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkorpi
Dang! You've just about exhausted the catalog of parts. About the only thing I don't see on there IS an exhaust...looks great!

Oh, I still have a couple of things to go

Not sure what I'm going to do re the exhaust; but right now I'm leaning towards removing the catalyzers and staying stock. Someone emailed me that they did it and dropped 6 pounds on each can and reduced the temp by 300 degrees; without getting very loud.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:10 PM   #62
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundasleeprecording

Akrapovics, and of course, these...

MMmmmmmm, carbon fiber.

If you're talking the full system, you're looking at close to $7k of parts with these 3 pictures

I'd go for the wheels at $1,500 for the pair- but as it stands now that won't even buy a front!
Old 08-14-2006, 08:18 PM   #63
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkorpi
Can we get a shot of the full bike?

And what's the little wire dangling by the rear brake lever?

Looks pretty much like every other one (from Sunday's ride, pre cover covers)

And the wire is the battery tender connection.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:23 PM   #64
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by olie
...I guess it's not a Rotax engine.

No, it isn't Olie.

On the plus side is that parts come in the same year they get ordered

Interesting sidebar- one of the head designers for Rotax went to work for KTM a couple years ago. Guess which v-twin bikes now have forward mounted oil tanks with plastic sight tubes?
Old 08-15-2006, 07:46 AM   #65
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Talking Gettin' dirty with the SM

This is from last Saturday- me on the 950 chasing my friend on his 'tarded 520 EXC down some dirt roads

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmzdmSyg-Kg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDl03u2tf5g

The Syncs don't have the dirt bite the MT60Rs have, the 950 makes a tad more power than the EXC, and it's 200 pounds heavier than the EXC; but it works ok on these kinds of roads.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:09 AM   #66
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly705
Great write up! I can't wait to pick up the other one in the photo tomorrow
Jolley! You buyin the superenduro or a 9fiddySM!!!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 06:49 PM   #67
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb 1001 Miles

And a little over 3 weeks into ownership (no commuting, just fun rides).

Nothing much to report. The bike has stalled several (maybe half a dozen) times just idling in neutral. I can prevent it by increasing the idle a bit, but it sounds too busy then.

Great behaviour going into NYC tonight. Semi big traffic jam becase of a lane closure leading to the Holland Tunnel. Needed to thread (very nimble for a 450 pound bike) my way through the jam for about 2 miles. Hit 5 bars once, the fan came on, dropped back to 4 and stayed there the whole way. I guess having the motor exposed rather than wrapped up like an A model makes a big difference.

The bike has been (and done) everything I expected and wanted.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:31 PM   #68
olie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow
No, it isn't Olie.

On the plus side is that parts come in the same year they get ordered

Interesting sidebar- one of the head designers for Rotax went to work for KTM a couple years ago. Guess which v-twin bikes now have forward mounted oil tanks with plastic sight tubes?
..parts for a Rotax? shims? ...not in 23.5k miles.
I heard that a top guy from Rotax went to KTM, I guess he only borrowed the cheaper techniques.

I was looking at the new Tuono, but...not a god fit to my legs and frame. I would have save on the oil filters... buy one get one free :)
Akrapovic, Givi W'shield, Kappa saddlebags...
11 Vette, unmolested...

olie screwed with this post 08-15-2006 at 07:41 PM
olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:07 AM   #69
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by olie
..parts for a Rotax? shims? ...not in 23.5k miles.
I heard that a top guy from Rotax went to KTM, I guess he only borrowed the cheaper techniques. ...
As you well know, there's more to Aprilia ownership than the Rotax engine (as an aside, mine needed 2 shims at first service and 4 shims at 12k); and lack of parts availability (even though seldom needed) is one of the main reasons they aren't as popular as they merit.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:30 PM   #70
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

The SM as tourer

A fellow (Steve) sent me the pictures of his luggage solution for the SM

He says...

"I started with a Givi Wingrack and some 3/4 inch 14 gauge steel tubing, and a couple of feet of flat 1 inch by 1/8 inch steel. Then I went to work with a torch heating and bending the tube and then welded the whole thing together with my mig.

The passenger footpegs will still bolt on, I've got to get some longer bolts for them. The rack can be taken off and put back on in about 5 minutes, everything thing bolts on in the holes where the original luggage rack was and the passenger footpeg mounting holes. It's modeled after the one on an Adventure, without drilling through the sidecovers."

You can see his trip results at the KTMTalk site in this thread
http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtop...&#entry1504115

I suspect the Russel also eliminates any seat discomfit issues
Old 08-29-2006, 05:31 PM   #71
Jolly705
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,386
I have had a 950 Super Enduro for a month now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
Jolley! You buyin the superenduro or a 9fiddySM!!!
Jolly705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 11:35 AM   #72
Notaducati
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Great read, great write up.

Had mine for about 2 months now, maybe 1200 km on the bike. Does not sound impressive, but most of them were put on at the track. Only problems are a distinct lack of stability over 170 km/h (fixed by softening the rear to 17mm preload and sitting a bit further back on the seat) and posing more of a problem, the lack of ground clearance, especially with race compound Dunlops on board. If I take the peg rubbers off, the toes get a little closer to the ground, a big problem. I am trying to figure out rearsets for the bike, or at least a way to raise pegs an inch. Or if I keep dragging the pegs it may eventually wear the problem away altogether (I am half way through them as it is).

Bike is tremendous fun on the track, it could use a few more hp (say hello, Akropovics) and if I get really serious, maybe some 10mm caliper spacers and a set of 320mm cast iron rotors I have laying about from a Ducati 749R with a set of race compound pads.

Love the idea of the carbon Dymags, maybe a weld on post for a scotts steering damper too.

The hook is in deep. Although a 990 Superduke might have made a better track bike, the sheer level of astonishment achieved of the average R6 rider as you slide around them on what basically is a big dirt bike is worth it.
Notaducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 06:37 PM   #73
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Nothing much to report, but Doc (950 SE) and I did about 200 miles today so I should write something.

On the downside, the bike KLACKED twice today on startup. On the plus side is the way it did everything else

Doc and I swapped bikes for about 20 miles, and I am glad to report that I made the right decision in buying the SM instead of the SE: as it is (imo of course) a vastly superior street bike that's almost as fast/stable/well behaved on the kind of dirt roads I ride all the time. The SE isn't bad (and no doubt spectacular in it's off road element) but I found the steering less than optimal (probably a function of the height, rim sizes, tires, and suspension setup it runs), the brakes marginal, and engine powerband less linear not as smooth compared to the SM. I also feel more comfortable and in control (from a street pov) sitting "in" the SM compared to "on" the SE.

Maybe making matters worse was the rear tire. Doc couldn't get a replacement Karoo T, so he mounted a Dunlop D908. Vibrates like crazy over 65 mph on pavement (but not noticeable at all on dirt going even faster) and can be felt at all speeds. Looks like a proper trench digger though and hooked up real well on the dirt roads we did. Of course, the problem is that despite the hook up, the bike makes so much power that you can powerslide it going straight . I know he's happy with his choice, so it all works out: being good friends, we can swap when we want to

Ok, I'll end on an abreviated version of the closing event. After we swapped back we headed home- going down this pretty cratered road at what can only be described at a brisk pace . As I slowed down when we got near the stop sign at the end, Doc pulls even with me and points backwards. So I check the mirror and see a police car, lights ablaze, approaching us. So we stop. The officer gets out of the car, runs his hand across his throat , and approaches. He looks a little pissed This could be painful.

I mount my first defence by taking my helmet off. You can almost see the officer deflate- he's busted at least one old pharte. Doc follows suit and, shit, two old phartes

But he gives it the old college try- figuring maybe we'll mouth off to him. He starts off with the classic "do you know how fast you were going?". Doc, ever truthful, says "no". Ok, good answer. But then, pointing to me, he says "I was following him.".

I repressed my first impulse (), but I'm speechless at this, so the officer says "I was eating my supper in the arboretum parking lot when I saw two bikes zoom by at the speed of light, so I had to come after you". I'm thinking "damn, that's probably not too good, unless his supper was really bad": but there's still a chance we'll walk if only Barry doesn't talk again .

I apologize for both the speed we were traveling and for spoiling his dinner. He then says he didn't have us on radar and wasn't able to pace us because he only saw us at the end; so he's not going to give us tickets. He mentions a couple of things about our age, , and you can hear the disappointment in his voice as he says he thought it was some young kids instead of "two older guys". But he does want to check documentation. Naturally, being the upstanding senior citizens in our community that we are, our documentation (including a little quiz re my PBA card) checks out fine and the officer bids us on our way with the admonishment to take it easy. We thank him again and head off into the sunset (actually with the sunset to our backs, as we were traveling east; but I hate to waste an opportunity for a good cliche).

All in all, a good day: especially after all the rain.

PS: had the daylights scared out of me earlier in the day as I spooked a condor sized turkey buzzard enjoying some roadside roadkill. The bird took off going across me before veering hard right as I was braking. Missed by probably less than 5 feet- I was close enough to see some red fleshy dinner parts hanging from his beak
Old 09-04-2006, 03:42 PM   #74
Snapcrackleandpop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow
On the downside, the bike KLACKED twice today on startup. On the plus side is the way it did everything else ,
They all have a tendacy to do that when hot and if you apply to much throttle.
Loved bit when copper reckoned you were going "at the speed of light" imagine him stating that in court
Snapcrackleandpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:08 PM   #75
Scary
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Great read Walter, I'm back in the City for a couple of weeks & it's great to see/read you are still enjoying the SM mate & making the most of it . Good result with that story too, we don't get many happy endings over here(at present), so it's nice to see they don't all come outta the same mold. Heard a SM with the Wings mufflers on the other night.....very nice uncorked ! later mate. Keep having fun !

Ps...saw my 1st SE yesterday(TUFF looker) & it looks like the radiator grill/protecter "may" fit onto the SM....Hmmmm ! maybe a better option than the one we made here that was in the pic sent earlier 'A' mate.

Scary screwed with this post 09-04-2006 at 04:33 PM
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote