Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #7486
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
Not to someone who owns one

My feeling is that you can take the opportunity to create a custom graphic kit and keep the tank because while you can fit a 950SE, 950SMR, or 990SMT tank, you'd need to change some other expensive stuff as well. No aftermarket option afaik. One of the members had a one-off aluminum tank made; but again, not an inexpensive option.
I feel honored. The "father" of the thread has come to my rescue. :)
Thanks WP. You inspired me 6 years ago. (actually, you are at fault for making me want this bike so bad)

So, the bloating is no reason to replace? That's good news. I guess I am lucky it isn't one of the "leakers". So I won't cry too much.

As far custom graphics, would you recommend any kind of treatment first? And are their any specific graphics products out there that would perform better on these plastics?

She ran so good when I got off it the last ride. I had used this thread to do all the jetting mods and the other emissions work. Had the carbs tweaked perfect. So thanks again for starting all this so long ago. It helped me back then too.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #7487
aerone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Gas Tank Bloating

The problem with my 06 950 SM tank in black was that it got too long. I could barely get the hold bolt in, must have stretched at least a half inch. My tank also got the bubbles under the decal on the right side sitting on the bike. I hardly ever used ethanol blend in it.
aerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #7488
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerone View Post
The problem with my 06 950 SM tank in black was that it got too long. I could barely get the hold bolt in, must have stretched at least a half inch. My tank also got the bubbles under the decal on the right side sitting on the bike. I hardly ever used ethanol blend in it.
Exactly! It's like it grew.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #7489
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,374
Yep, my tank is a little longer as well. I think when if it grows too long to get the bolt in (it was difficult to get it in the last time I had the tank off) I'll try shaving some material from the front/side "donuts".

I just recently noticed decal bubbles. If they become obtrusive I'll try putting a pinhole in them.

I don't know anything about decals/adhesive or what kind of prep might be the best solution; so maybe others could pipe in on this.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #7490
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,395
Quote:
Yep, my tank is a little longer as well. I think when if it grows too long to get the bolt in (it was difficult to get it in the last time I had the tank off) I'll try shaving some material from the front/side "donuts".

I just recently noticed decal bubbles. If they become obtrusive I'll try putting a pinhole in them.

I don't know anything about decals/adhesive or what kind of prep might be the best solution; so maybe others could pipe in on this.
Pinholes didn't work for me, when the time comes I'll just order a set of decals. I don't think they are that expensive
Old 07-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #7491
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:

Maybe it has more to do with how much the bike sits in the Sun, just guessing. So far my 06 has not bubbled and i actually covered the original graphics with some Factory effex Carbon Fiber stuff. My tank is a little long in the tooth as well, i just lift the tank in the rear about and inch to start the bolt and she goes right in and pulls down fine.

I guess time will tell if bubbles appear and bolt gets worse to install.
Thumper996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #7492
cnw126
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper996 View Post
Maybe it has more to do with how much the bike sits in the Sun, just guessing. So far my 06 has not bubbled and i actually covered the original graphics with some Factory effex Carbon Fiber stuff. My tank is a little long in the tooth as well, i just lift the tank in the rear about and inch to start the bolt and she goes right in and pulls down fine.

I guess time will tell if bubbles appear and bolt gets worse to install.

My 2007 SM has decal bubbling on the right side. I always park it indoors so the Sun has not been a factor for me.

I also have the long tank.
cnw126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #7493
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnw126 View Post
My 2007 SM has decal bubbling on the right side. I always park it indoors so the Sun has not been a factor for me.

I also have the long tank.

Oh well, it was a thought. I live between two lakes, so non-ethanol gas is abundant due to boating needs. I do however run both non-ethanol and ethanol fuels, so i am not sure that is the whole factor either.

Maybe the ones that bubbled are just ridden to slow just kidding now
Old 07-30-2012, 07:08 AM   #7494
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Oh well, it was a thought. I live between two lakes, so non-ethanol gas is abundant due to boating needs. I do however run both non-ethanol and ethanol fuels, so i am not sure that is the whole factor either.

Maybe the ones that bubbled are just ridden to slow just kidding now
I have no choice really about fuel and most everything that has been put in the bike has had ethanol in it. I do park it outside and have suffered from the enlarging tank syndrome as well as the decal bubblitis. The right side looked like it had suffered a hit from a flamethrower, it was bubbled and discolored. so I peeled it off. The left looks better but is starting to bubble. The thing that sucks is the panels have the decal glassed in so I'm not sure how to get them so they are plain like the tank soon will be. Otherwise people will start asking me what a Tm is?

I can also assure this bike is not ridden slow. I have the performance citations to prove it. So there goes that theory Thumper!!!
Old 07-30-2012, 07:46 AM   #7495
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
The thing that sucks is the panels have the decal glassed in so I'm not sure how to get them so they are plain like the tank soon will be.

You could just select a new graphic pattern like i did and cover the front section and replace the rear section. I myself just covered both. Gloss black is an option for covering.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:11 AM   #7496
aerone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Molecular

I think molecules of fuel are escaping right through the plastic. Or, the tank is giving off molecules of it's self. I really believe it's the fuel vapor as the "top" or right side always is the first to go. Too bad KTM wont fix this. It's the one thing that will keep me from buying any new KTM with a plastic tank.
aerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #7497
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,984
I tried a few different graphics, they all bubbled. The set I put on the top of the tank like thumper, lasted the longest. I had the carbon cowls, and no decals on the side of the tank and it looked pretty cool. I just couldn't escape the bubbles.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #7498
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,395
My decals lasted 4 years before they started bubbling. Still don't look so bad that I can't stand it. I'll replace them in a couple of years.

Had an XR650R which bubbled badly. Replaced the decals with some much heavier aftermarket but stock looking decals and those worked for good. For the life of me I can't find that manufacturer. There are also some perforated decal manufacturers out there which work well. .

I wonder if the liining that they are putting inside the Ducati tanks would work in our tanks.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #7499
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
You could just select a new graphic pattern like i did and cover the front section and replace the rear section. I myself just covered both. Gloss black is an option for covering.

Thanks Thumper and Goodcat, both good options. I might just go the CF route. I don't mind not having the KTM on the side. It will baffle people even more with fewer identifying marks on it!
Old 07-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #7500
angustoyou
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Some CCMs over here have the same problem, the plastic used for the fuel tanks isn't quite right and is porous over time to petrol vapour. Doesn't effect all, in fact it's a minority, so I assume it's just poor quality control on the part of the plastic supplier. I've not heard of a solution, then again, my CCM and my SM seem unaffected, so I've never really searched.

Perhaps using some kind of resin based coating before applying new stickers may help? Try and seal the tank from the outside? That said, better to seal it from the inside, but if the plastic is now impregnated with petrol, it may be too late. Just thinking out loud, HIH.
angustoyou is offline   Reply With Quote