Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #7501
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,353
The new Ducati tanks are sealed on the inside....

the Ethanol screws up our carbs and injectors, but non-ethanol gas causes the tank decals to bubble....
Old 07-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #7502
eSONG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
speaking of tank lining...what do you think about lining our tanks with POR-15?

http://www.por15.com/
eSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #7503
magnum2000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
carb kit

Anybody tried the Keihin Carb kit?

http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-950-990-...slide-carb-kit
magnum2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #7504
eSONG
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSONG View Post
speaking of tank lining...what do you think about lining our tanks with POR-15?

http://www.por15.com/
NM. I heard back from POR-15. They confirmed their products do not work with plastic.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #7505
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum2000 View Post

Yep, kinda a headache IMO. Still not right, a real PITA at race pace. Off road I'm not going to get run over by a semi. On the SM, well, you know where you ride it and how.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769794

Better to try this;

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783573

That is actually on a SMR950. Working great.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:32 AM   #7506
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
NM. I heard back from POR-15. They confirmed their products do not work with plastic.
Go to Ducati.net..should be easy to find. There was a class action suit over the expansion, Ducati finally relented and bought most people a new tank and had the interior lined with some product..should be easy to find.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:26 AM   #7507
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
I've got to ask you guys. I just bought a 950 SM. It's a really fun bike to ride. But I'm seeing a lot of threads about running on 1 cylinder, injector issues, carb issues, just all kinds of stuff. Actually, how reliable are these bikes? I've been riding a Ducati for the past 4 years, and over the years, I've owned just about everything. The Ducati surprised me, it's been absolutely reliable.

How is the reliability of the KTM twins?
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:43 AM   #7508
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
I've got to ask you guys. I just bought a 950 SM. It's a really fun bike to ride. But I'm seeing a lot of threads about running on 1 cylinder, injector issues, carb issues, just all kinds of stuff. Actually, how reliable are these bikes? I've been riding a Ducati for the past 4 years, and over the years, I've owned just about everything. The Ducati surprised me, it's been absolutely reliable.

Mine is extremely reliable..just don't let the gas get over a month old w/o treating it...if you do, just put some treatment or octane booster in it and it clears itself out in a few minutes.....just don't let old gas sit in it for a year or so....
Old 07-31-2012, 10:51 AM   #7509
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Yes, search the thread. No cold start, need warm mornings otherwise... add snap and Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum2000 View Post
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:53 AM   #7510
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by khvol View Post
mine is extremely reliable..just don't let the gas get over a month old w/o treating it...if you do, just put some treatment or octane booster in it and it clears itself out in a few minutes.....just don't let old gas sit in it for a year or so....
+1
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:57 AM   #7511
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,485
Quote:

I have 39,000 miles on mine, owned since new. all issues that I have encountered were known as things that would crop up and are well documented in this thread and the Orange Crush HOW.

I would say that the bike has been very reliable considering that it is a race bred beast. This bike continues to keep me happy, though I know I have had to spend more time and money than I have for past bikes owned. However, the feeling I get when riding it has been unmatched by anything else I have owned or tried to date.

First off, the 950's are carbed, so no injection/mapping issues.
Fuel pump, the stockers seem to last anywhere form 12,000 - 20,000 miles. I just installed my 3rd.
Water pump varies, but they have been known to fail as early as 15,000 miles or so or last much longer - 1 total rebuild to date.
Tank - I had a leaky tank replaced under warranty
Failed sight tube on oil tank - they have issued an upgraded piece. I would get one. This is not a fun one at all to deal with especially on a trip. You can temp fix it with sealing off both ends with bolts until you can get a replacement tube or like some have done eliminate it all together and fashioning a dipstick like the ADV has on its filler cap.
The only real running issue I had was recently when my carbs had gotten really out of sync. That has been fixed.
Replaced starter torque limiter with upgraded case and gear set. No more clackety clack on start up. that did fail when I was luckily close t home but was an easy fix.

Ride it. Fix it. Repeat.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #7512
ultrachrome
Poser

Oddometer: 262
Quote:

http://ktm950.info will tell you all you need to know with helpful year by year breakdowns of what models are affected by what issues.
ultrachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:59 AM   #7513
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
Mine is extremely reliable..just don't let the gas get over a month old w/o treating it...if you do, just put some treatment or octane booster in it and it clears itself out in a few minutes.....just don't let old gas sit in it for a year or so....
the ethanol also reacts with metal in the float bowl etc so i have had better luck running it dry via the fuel pump fuse if it wont be in use for a week or more
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #7514
eSONG
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
the ethanol also reacts with metal in the float bowl etc so i have had better luck running it dry via the fuel pump fuse if it wont be in use for a week or more
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
How do you do that ?
can't you shut the gas off at the bottom of the tank (both sides) and run the motor until the carbs dry out?
Old 08-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #7515
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
can't you shut the gas off at the bottom of the tank (both sides) and run the motor until the carbs dry out?
yes but i was thinking not so good to run fuel pump without fuel so i pull the fuse ride a block as the fuel is used then coast it into the garage
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote