Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #7561
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Forget the plastic tube sight glass and convert to a dip stick. Yea you can't take a quick oil level check, but hey you not going to have the plastic fail on you in the middle of no where like mine did in Colorado. Hardware store saved my butt that time and that was it.
Thumper996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #7562
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper996 View Post
Forget the plastic tube sight glass and convert to a dip stick. Yea you can't take a quick oil level check, but hey you not going to have the plastic fail on you in the middle of no where like mine did in Colorado. Hardware store saved my butt that time and that was it.
I may have to do that, to further my futile protest
Old 08-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #7563
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Ok I believe I temporarily solved my wobble issue. I dropped the front tire pressure 4 lbs, and all seems to be ok now. So Im running 30 psi front and 28 in the back, and Im a 235 lbs rider. Does that sound right?

Also was doing some math, my bike is getting 37 mpg riding it fast and fairly hard (150km/h on pavement, 110-130 kms/h on gravel, "hot rodding" around town). I am getting around 200kms a tank before I need to fill up. and when I fill up I am filling up 15ish liters.

Does that seem fairly accurate out there to the rest of you guys?
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #7564
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by preppypyro View Post
Ok I believe I temporarily solved my wobble issue. I dropped the front tire pressure 4 lbs, and all seems to be ok now. So Im running 30 psi front and 28 in the back, and Im a 235 lbs rider. Does that sound right?

Also was doing some math, my bike is getting 37 mpg riding it fast and fairly hard (150km/h on pavement, 110-130 kms/h on gravel, "hot rodding" around town). I am getting around 200kms a tank before I need to fill up. and when I fill up I am filling up 15ish liters.

30# front is 4 pounds too low for me, front end wants to turn in too quickly at 30#
Old 08-16-2012, 10:00 AM   #7565
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
I sorta thought 30 pounds was too low as well, but the handling hasnt changed at all, actually improved for the style of riding I do. The gravel and highway feel much better (so far).

As a former tire tech I never thought I would see such a huge improvement for my style of riding with just the lower tire pressure, but so far its helped. Now keep in mind Ive only put on 250ish kms on with the lowered tire pressure as well.
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #7566
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppypyro View Post

I'm lucky if I get 32 MPG, that is driving it like II stole it though. I cannot seem to help going 100+mph on the highway for prolonged periods. It is just too much fun.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #7567
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
I'm lucky if I get 32 MPG, that is driving it like II stole it though. I cannot seem to help going 100+mph on the highway for prolonged periods. It is just too much fun.
Haha! You're still money ahead of the rest of us as long as you don't get a ticket! You're tires hardly touch the ground and you get 10,000 miles out of a rear and the rest of us have to pop for 3 rear tires in that time!
Old 08-17-2012, 08:03 AM   #7568
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMoto View Post
Haha! You're still money ahead of the rest of us as long as you don't get a ticket! You're tires hardly touch the ground and you get 10,000 miles out of a rear and the rest of us have to pop for 3 rear tires in that time!
Yup. True, true!! I guess I trade mpg for mpt's!!!! (Miles per tire)
Old 08-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #7569
geoffh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I finally belong.

I'm finally a member of the 950 SM club. I picked up an 07 SMR on Friday and I've been loving it ever since.
I had my first power wheelie on Friday after getting it home, and then my second on Saturday.

I have a feeling that each day of riding will also be a day of wheelies.

Over the past few months, I read every single post in this thread and I think I have an issue that hasn't been brought up yet. Seems that the bike won't start if it's in gear (even with the clutch in). It's weird no? It starts just fine with the side stand down.

Pictures to come later.
geoffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #7570
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffh View Post
I'm finally a member of the 950 SM club. I picked up an 07 SMR on Friday and I've been loving it ever since.
I had my first power wheelie on Friday after getting it home, and then my second on Saturday.

Over the past few months, I read every single post in this thread and I think I have an issue that hasn't been brought up yet. Seems that the bike won't start if it's in gear (even with the clutch in). It's weird no? It starts just fine with the side stand down.

Pictures to come later.
The PO didn't ever bother to go back and correct a wire that was changed during the sidestand safety or 2-3 gear restriction delete. He probably was just lazy and lived with it that way.

There was a thread on the subject years ago, remember this was one of the first SMRs bought if not the first one in the USA. Those wiring mods were made early on without any pro advice. It should be a simple thing to remedy, I'll try to find the old thread and get you a link.

On a side note, I rode the SE950 today and the F@ckin Shorai battery took a dump, AGAIN! I'm tossing that POS as far from any mechanical vehicle as possible. JUNK! Stick with the regular batteries if you value riding your bike all the way back home.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #7571
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post

On a side note, I rode the SE950 today and the F@ckin Shorai battery took a dump, AGAIN! I'm tossing that POS as far from any mechanical vehicle as possible. JUNK! Stick with the regular batteries if you value riding your bike all the way back home.
Shorai - bought mine a year ago, never installed it and it doesn't look like I will.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #7572
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
I think I have an issue that hasn't been brought up yet. Seems that the bike won't start if it's in gear (even with the clutch in). It's weird no? It starts just fine with the side stand down.
My SMR is doing the same thing. I noticed it last year and have just lived with it. I suspect it's the after-market levers I have not actuating the clutch interlock. But I haven't done any real troubleshooting to try to fix it. It's on the list for "some day".
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #7573
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Not weird.

Mine did the same thing. The clutch switch is likely faulty or dirty. Try cleaning it with electrical contact cleaner and apply some dielectric grease. Or, buy the stock replacement here:

http://www.ktm-parts.com/58411049100.html

Part # 58411049100

Cheers, and Welcome!

NM

Quote:

Pictures to come later.
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #7574
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
Shorai - bought mine a year ago, never installed it and it doesn't look like I will.
I thought my TurnTech LiFePo battery went bad, it turned out to be the voltage regulator. The battery died on a ride. I took it out charged it back up, tested it for a month out of the bike. It held a good strong charge. I've since reinstalled it and have had no other issues with it. I'm on my third VR. See previous posts regarding my VR fix and relocation. SE's and to a lesser extent SM/R's can be hard on the stock VR. Some, like myself, feel the stock location is, at least in part, at fault.

NM
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #7575
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
I had originally purchased my first shorai last year and I think I had a bad battery. I sent it back and received a replacement (the original did indeed have a bad cell). However, it has been fairly warm since I have had the replacement and am worried about when it gets cooler again. I may just run the regular one during the winter months. It has performed fine for the last 8,000 miles, but again the weather has been warm and I suspect it was the crummy cold weather ritual you must perform to get them to crank in lower temps.