Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #7591
samppa2005
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
I was thinking that it could have something to do with the push rod getting stuck and rotating with the clutch. But honestly it could be just about anything. Can't tell without opening it up. New slave -> clutch problems could be connected but then again they might not.
samppa2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #7592
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
I really doubt a failling clutch slave could fry your clutch, the hydraulic clutch just disengages the clutch, it doesn't keep it from engaging, that is, when you pull the clutch,. it pushes the pushrod to disengage the clutch, so if it is not working, the clutch is fully engaged. It wouldn't make it slip or fry.
Maybe not directly, but if there's a clutch rod/slave length mismatch it will keep the clutch partially engaged which will cause it to slip. Do that long enough and you could fry the clutch.

If you still have the stock unit put it in and see if it works (unless the clutch is truly fried)

There have been a couple of pushrod designs of different length. And I think there were (haven't heard of it in a while) also some slight manufacturing abnormalities of some sort in the area with a very small number of early 950s. I could not use an Evoluzione slave on my 2004 950S no matter which pushrod, orings, etc. combination I used because the clutch would slip. I tried 2 different units from Evo as well as a friend's unit; even had a dealer do the install once. No joy- it would only work with a stock unit. At the time I was puzzling all this out there were 3 other early 950 owners who had the same problem that I was aware of (the Evoluzione folks told me about two, and the third popped up in the thread I started (or vice versa, I forget which).

wpbarlow screwed with this post 08-24-2012 at 03:42 PM
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #7593
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Oddometer: 294
When I bought my SMR, the owner of the dealership warned me to never use antything but full synthetic oil or the clutch could slip. He told me of a trip with some buddies he took, and his buddie's clutch started slipping after a while. Sure enough he had done an oil change just before the trip with a non-synthetic oil. One oil change later and he was back in business. I wonder if the mechanic was distracted during your oil change...I hope your problem is this easy to fix EastSideSM.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #7594
aerone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Clutch Slave

Yup, what I meant to say. I just read my post again and noticed I said master cylinder. + 1 on if it was working and got worked on and quit. The "repair" might be the problem.
aerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #7595
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Any updates eastside??
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #7596
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 990
Hoping the best for your safe return EastsideSM!

I am liking the dino vs synth oil theory for your clutch slippage. Hope it isn't a total failure...

Clearly I need to start a collection of these "dead" shorai batteries that everyone and their dog is killing and see if there is a market for hightech failed batteries! That dead battery just got you into the midset for fixing and recovery...

edit to add:
I have to relate a disturbing experience with my bike.
I had parked it at a buddies house, dead battery, uncleaned and still wearing her Giant Loop saddle/tank bags from my trip to Leguna Seca, the day before I left for Indy MotoGP. I just leaned 'er against his garden shed and let him know he didn't have to worry about anything. He called later and asked what was up with the bike, so I told him that I didn't have time to charge the batty before I left and take it home. He understood and threatened to charge the battery and clean the bike "for me" while I was away. I told him to do no such thing, since it wasn't the end of riding season yet and I don't clean until it is time for winter hibernation. My wishes fell on deaf ears and sure enough, when I got home, he had stripped off the luggage, charged the battery, simplegreened and washed the whole damn thing, degreased around the rear rim where I had a nasty pile of chainlube/dirt build up and generally taken care of/looked after a seasons worth of grime, then parked it in his garage. Of course I thanked him profusely for his valiant efforts and realized that he did in fact save me a whole afternoons worth of work. The bike is due for major servicing and now I can tear down for a valve job without digging all the dirt out of everyone of those motor crevices... so I guess that is the silver lining to the clean bike cloud!

I know, I know, pics or it didn't happen, but I'm kinda embarrassed to show off a clean ride

snowhawk jockey screwed with this post 08-27-2012 at 12:47 PM
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #7597
angustoyou
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
My understanding of the clutch slipping because of the wrong type of oil was that if spec called for regular oil, then fully synthetic would be too slippy and could cause the clutch to slip.

So not a problem to go the other way, as the SM specs fully synthetic as standard.

+2 on send it back to who last played with the clutch, maybe they made a mistake, maybe it was just a coincidence.

Bad luck either way, hope it gets sorted quickly and easily.
angustoyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #7598
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by angustoyou View Post
My understanding of the clutch slipping because of the wrong type of oil was that if spec called for regular oil, then fully synthetic would be too slippy and could cause the clutch to slip.

So not a problem to go the other way, as the SM specs fully synthetic as standard.

+2 on send it back to who last played with the clutch, maybe they made a mistake, maybe it was just a coincidence.

Bad luck either way, hope it gets sorted quickly and easily.
That is a good point as well. I remember the old synth with moly being particularly a problem for that kind of oil swap slippage.
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #7599
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,431
Guys,

Thanks forthe input. I should know tomorrow.

Those running stock clutch, how many miles on them?

Could just be coincidence and my clutch was on its last legs.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #7600
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
...Those running stock clutch, how many miles on them?...
35,000 miles, Evoluzione installed at about 24,000 miles iirc. No issues (yet ).
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #7601
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
Hoping the best for your safe return EastsideSM!

I am liking the dino vs synth oil theory for your clutch slippage. Hope it isn't a total failure...

Clearly I need to start a collection of these "dead" shorai batteries that everyone and their dog is killing and see if there is a market for hightech failed batteries! That dead battery just got you into the midset for fixing and recovery...

edit to add:
I have to relate a disturbing experience with my bike.
I had parked it at a buddies house, dead battery, uncleaned and still wearing her Giant Loop saddle/tank bags from my trip to Leguna Seca, the day before I left for Indy MotoGP. I just leaned 'er against his garden shed and let him know he didn't have to worry about anything. He called later and asked what was up with the bike, so I told him that I didn't have time to charge the batty before I left and take it home. He understood and threatened to charge the battery and clean the bike "for me" while I was away. I told him to do no such thing, since it wasn't the end of riding season yet and I don't clean until it is time for winter hibernation. My wishes fell on deaf ears and sure enough, when I got home, he had stripped off the luggage, charged the battery, simplegreened and washed the whole damn thing, degreased around the rear rim where I had a nasty pile of chainlube/dirt build up and generally taken care of/looked after a seasons worth of grime, then parked it in his garage. Of course I thanked him profusely for his valiant efforts and realized that he did in fact save me a whole afternoons worth of work. The bike is due for major servicing and now I can tear down for a valve job without digging all the dirt out of everyone of those motor crevices... so I guess that is the silver lining to the clean bike cloud!

I know, I know, pics or it didn't happen, but I'm kinda embarrassed to show off a clean ride
Great story! I guess I believe it. Regardless, great story.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #7602
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
Guys,

Thanks forthe input. I should know tomorrow.

Those running stock clutch, how many miles on them?

Could just be coincidence and my clutch was on its last legs.

I'll keep you posted.
49K miles on the stock clutch. Evoluzione installed a year ago (just because) even though the stock slave was still working.
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #7603
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
49K miles on the stock clutch. Evoluzione installed a year ago (just because) even though the stock slave was still working.
Wow Garry, I think you have been riding. In any event if the clutch is toast I think I'll put a stock pack back in. I may uppgrade my basket to one from CJ Designs. I got one of his covers recently.very nice stuff.

Oh and my cocnclusion on the shorai is they suck. I lost one in cold weather and one in hot. Id rather have a heavy battery thhat works when it should.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #7604
DM47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppypyro View Post
Im curious if you gave the bike an oil change recently, maybe it got the wrong oil in it?
If it's JASO-MA you're fine -- conventional or synthetic. Use a decent oil and the engine will be lubricated and protected. Some brands/types may effect shift feel a bit, but the bottom line will still be met (lubricated and protected).

One thing I have not yet seen asked about in this current case:
Eastside, when the oil was changed, what was the condition of the clutch oil jet? Was this inspected and/or serviced by the dealer that performed the oil change? If it is plugged, what is the impact to clutch performance?
DM47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:22 AM   #7605
Milar
Life is an adventure.

Oddometer: 334
I've developed a small oil drip on the bottom of the bike. I've tightened the drain plug and it didn't help. I double gasketed the plug and I still get a couple of drips when parked overnight. Any suggestions?

M