Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #7621
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,207
That's great news Walter. I think these bikes are pretty solid. I will hopefully (just) break the 50K mile mark this weekend. First time ever to put that many miles on a bike since new. Previous high mile mark was 43K on a Sprint RS.
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #7622
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMoto View Post
What do you guys think would be safe off-road pressures for the TKC-80s that would be less likely to bend or crack a cast wheel? Mine are still round and I'd like them to stay that way! I'm assuming that the 36psi front/ 40 psi rear would be pavement pressures?

Which leads to another question; does anyone have experience with a mini 12v compressor that could rapidly inflate both tires back up to street pressures? It looks like the Aerostitch one that eSONG mentioned a while back may be the fastest at 2 minutes/tire. The Stop n Go is 10 minutes/tire! The Slime Power Sport looks like a possible candidate too.

http://www.aerostich.com/prevent-or-...ompressor.html

My little compressor takes about 7-10 minutes to full air pressure, as well, so I usually skip it...
I should look into one of those 'stitch models that are high volume. Might save my front tire from cupping to death again...
My riding buddy has a Slime model and doesn't complain. He would too, since he airs down/up every time he heads into the pumice roads.
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #7623
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Oddometer: 314
The sickness has spread...

Lock up the wimens and chilruns!

I just got the TKCs back on the bike and have only had a chance to go up and down the street a few times. Feels a little weird but in a comfortable and familiar way since I have ridden dirt bikes forever. Like samppa2005, I'm getting great mileage from them! My bike was already farkled with the Akropovic carbon front hugger and I think it will have enough mud clearance unless I ever ride in the black sticky clay mud in north Texas. ...Nope, never gonna do that again. Lived there a bunch of years and had my fill of sticky mud and fire ants!

Going to Colorado the first 2 weeks in October and am anxious to see how the tires do in mixed twisties and trails. I'm thinking that I'd like to ride it up Pike's Peak this trip. My wife says no way thinking that I'm gonna go over the side! Bummer that they paved it the whole way now.

snowhawk jockey - Thanks for the air pump info. I was reading some of the customer reviews and there seems to be some issues with the Aerostitch pump. I think I'll go for the Slime Power Sport since I can get it at the local auto parts store.

http://www.slime.com/shop/power-spor...nflator-40001/

BuckMoto screwed with this post 09-06-2012 at 02:57 PM
BuckMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #7624
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,487
I have an older Cycle Pump Adventure

http://www.stopngo.com/cycle-pump-ad...ll-trucks-too/

This one cost more but has a lot more farkles.

It'll fill a fat rear tire in under 5 minutes.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #7625
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,053
Uh, yeah.

What you gunna do with that?
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #7626
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,379
Quote:

Going to Colorado the first 2 weeks in October and am anxious to see how the tires do in mixed twisties and trails. I'm thinking that I'd like to ride it up Pike's Peak this trip. My wife says no way thinking that I'm gonna go over the side! Bummer that they paved it the whole way.
Go to Ouray instead. Much bigger selection of twisties and trails on which to try the new rubber . Clear lake would be a good dirt run for you as would Last Dollar road, dirt, from Ouray to Telluride. You would also be only a couple of hours from Moab which makes it like two separate vacations.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #7627
eSONG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Looks GREAT! But, I wonder how they compare to distanzias.. I loved those tires on my 625smc.

Quote:
Lock up the wimens and chilruns!

eSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #7628
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

6USMC6 - That pump sounds like it would withstand the apocolypse! After dropping a chunk for the tires and the expense of the upcoming trip, I need to watch my pennies for a while. I'm on Slaven's waiting list for the full enchilada on the forks and shock, so I may need to stop drinking beer too!

D.T. - I'm hoping to venture further down some single tracks that I had to give up on because of deep sand or loose off-cambers. The Pirelli Scorpion trails don't like that stuff! Since I don't have a skid plate yet, I need to be really careful with line selection and having a tire that will hold my lines will be a big relief. I hope to get some fun videos and will post them later.

KHVol - We'd really like a trip to the Ouray/Telluride area and we actually talked about splitting the current trip to include half in Moab. I'd like to get a stack of Rotopax gas cans and do the White Rim trail! All our trips have been close to Colorado Springs lately so that I can spend a lot of time visiting my dad. He's 92 and declining in health. I'm worried this could be our last visit. He's still got his sense of humor and complains that he can't train for the Olympics anymore.

Esong - The Distanzias would be much smoother on pavement but less capable on dirt.

Dumb question to whoever can help, how do you do a reply and have multiple quotes?
Old 09-07-2012, 04:52 AM   #7629
eSONG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Quote:

Esong - The Distanzias would be much smoother on pavement but less capable on dirt.

Dumb question to whoever can help, how do you do a reply and have multiple quotes?
There might be an easier way... I reply with quote, copy then back out and reply with quote on the next one. Paste, then copy both quotes. Repeat until all quotes are copied and reply to all copied quotes in one message.
eSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:37 AM   #7630
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,487
Or copy all of the quotes on Notepad and then copy/paste into the reply.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #7631
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
Or copy all of the quotes on Notepad and then copy/paste into the reply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey
I got tired of clicking back and forth on the two windows with this multi quote technique, I just learned the one html code line for quoting and hand type it in front/behind of a copy/paste from the actual post.

The quote code is:
bracket, allcaps word quote, equals sign, username, bracket
[QOUTE=username] (quote is misspelled to show example...)

To end quote it is: bracket, slash, allcaps word quote, bracket [/QOUTE]
Old 09-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #7632
samppa2005
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Nice looking bike BuckMoto! I'd suggest you get the SE splash guard for the back. Otherwise you'll bombard the rear shock with rocks...hard It only costs like 13 and it's possible to just bolt it on (with a fewe modifications). You just have to make a bracket for the chain guard (or leave it off). It'll keep the rear shock clean and safe far better then any hugger you can get.
samppa2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #7633
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

I MUST look at one of the SE mudflaps for my shock. I have already peppered the thing for too many thousand miles...

Thanks for the suggestion! Beats the bailing wire and ducttape I was going to use
Old 09-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #7634
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,379
.....hope you guys don't bust your butts trying to make the SM into a dirt bike....when I did this to a couple of much lighter, actual, SM's ( using MT-60's) they skated all over the place with only marginally more traction in the dirt. It was more like downhill skiing instead of dirtbikin' .

The tires lasted about 1800 miles.

Good luck
Old 09-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #7635
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
The quote code is:
bracket, allcaps word quote, equals sign, username, bracket
[QOUTE=username] (quote is misspelled to show example...)

To end quote it is: bracket, slash, allcaps word quote, bracket [/QOUTE]
OK, giving it a go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samppa2005
Nice looking bike BuckMoto! I'd suggest you get the SE splash guard for the back. Otherwise you'll bombard the rear shock with rocks...hard It only costs like 13 and it's possible to just bolt it on (with a fewe modifications). You just have to make a bracket for the chain guard (or leave it off). It'll keep the rear shock clean and safe far better then any hugger you can get.
Could you please post a picture of how the splash guard fits on your bike? That makes a lot of sense. I need to work out some protection for the oil tank and underbelly too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol
.....hope you guys don't bust your butts trying to make the SM into a dirt bike....when I did this to a couple of much lighter, actual, SM's ( using MT-60's) they skated all over the place with only marginally more traction in the dirt. It was more like downhill skiing instead of dirtbikin' .

The tires lasted about 1800 miles.

Good luck
I'm just wanting to see what's possible with the bike but I don't plan to try anything too stupid! Don't want to end up with a broken body or busted 450lb bike miles from anywhere...

I better stop before I turn into a quote monster! -your quote technique is the cat's ass snowhawk!