Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 03:15 AM   #7666
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppypyro View Post
Sweet pics Garry! Do you like that case you have on the back of your bike? Ive pondered getting something , or building something sorta similar like that just to throw a lunch and water bottles and shit like that in.
The case is great even it looks bulbous. It is the 46L KTM top case (made by Shad). You need to buy the mounting kit for it separately. It's reasonably priced too. Works great for long weekend trips. Everything fits if I don't bring lots of tools and the netbook. I keep my wallet, camera, cell phone, etc in the little Wolfman Enduro tank bag for easy access.

FWIW, I also have the textile KTM expandable tail bag which looks much better, but doesn't hold as much stuff. Perfect for day rides but you have to swap mounting plates too, so the top case is usually installed.
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #7667
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppypyro View Post
Sweet pics Garry! Do you like that case you have on the back of your bike? Ive pondered getting something , or building something sorta similar like that just to throw a lunch and water bottles and shit like that in.
I have one of those too. Not exactly crazy about the looks, but it is AWESOME for commuting/touring. It clicks on and off easy and locks. I have the 37L which isnt as big but also doesn't fit quite as much stuff. It is worth the money as it fits very well and very secure. You can also get a back pad so the passenger can use it like a sissy bar/captains chair.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #7668
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
I have one of those too. Not exactly crazy about the looks, but it is AWESOME for commuting/touring. It clicks on and off easy and locks. I have the 37L which isnt as big but also doesn't fit quite as much stuff. It is worth the money as it fits very well and very secure. You can also get a back pad so the passenger can use it like a sissy bar/captains chair.
Those big 46l top boxes fit a helmet don't they? That would be the reason I got one, dry enclosed helmet storage, so I didn't have to pack it around every time I got off the bike. Plus, the bene of not having my lid hanging out on a lock, exposed to public creativity/weather.

I attended the KTM rally here in Bend last weekend! Can I say it was awesome...

Took Big Bertha (yes, my 950SM has a name) to a Jimmy Lewis clinic, on big bike handling in the dirt, and threw her down several times "finding the limits of traction". He had several low speed flat land style drills he had us practice that focused on footpeg/bike balance and turn initiation, turn follow through counter balance body positions for low speed/high angle turns, braking control and braking slides. A really good 2hrs of drills and explanations. I spent much of the practice time finding ways to combine his mini drills into dynamic brake slides followed up by a burst of power, at the moment balance was going into jeopardy, finishing the sliding turn started by the brake, on a spinning back tire. FUN FUN!! He wasn't teaching the combinations, since they would be hazardous to bikes and noob practicioners, but it was easy to see how one drill fed into the next.

edit to add:
He then ended the clinic by riding his 990ADV over a rock and log pile, only a jeep(or endurocrosser) could love!
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #7669
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
I get two full face helmets in my 46L Shad/KTM top box. Ditto what others have said about it, great box for stuff, looks ah,, not so good. Thanks for sharing the pics Garry! Here's a quick snap from Skyline Drive I took awhile back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
Those big 46l top boxes fit a helmet don't they? That would be the reason I got one, dry enclosed helmet storage, so I didn't have to pack it around every time I got off the bike. Plus, the bene of not having my lid hanging out on a lock, exposed to public creativity/weather.
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #7670
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Quote:

I attended the KTM rally here in Bend last weekend! Can I say it was awesome...
That is great you went to the rally. Some day I'd like to make it out for one.

I can fit one full face in my 37L topcase and a light jacket but not much else together in there. It is great for commuting though. It literally clips right onto the bracket and comes off as easily.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #7671
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Quote:
That is great you went to the rally. Some day I'd like to make it out for one.

I can fit one full face in my 37L topcase and a light jacket but not much else together in there. It is great for commuting though. It literally clips right onto the bracket and comes off as easily.

A helmet fits in the 37l, street or dirt helmet? Sweet! No need to keep overlooking the bulbousness of the bigger one...

The KTM guys heard your call to attend next years event and are meeting you halfway... Colorado is next years rally location and gossip says Steamboat Springs. Riding the aspens in that area will be dreamy!!!
Old 09-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #7672
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,246
Quote:
A helmet fits in the 37l, street or dirt helmet? Sweet! No need to keep overlooking the bulbousness of the bigger one...

The KTM guys heard your call to attend next years event and are meeting you halfway... Colorado is next years rally location and gossip says Steamboat Springs. Riding the aspens in that area will be dreamy!!!
Heard anything about dates ?
Old 09-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #7673
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
Heard anything about dates ?
Nope, as they weren't in discussion, just possible location. How'ya?
Old 09-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #7674
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,246
Quote:
Nope, as they weren't in discussion, just possible location. How'ya?
Would like to see it around Sept 12th, anywhere in Colorado..Ouray would be terrific..
Old 09-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #7675
Ridin'nFishin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
mpg mpt

I am thinking of a 950 SM carb model. I ride and like to put miles behind me without worring about stopping for fuel. How many miles are you getting on a tank of gas and what kind of larger tank options are out there.

Thanks
Old 09-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #7676
ultrachrome
Poser

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
The 46L is wider than 37L but otherwise they nearly identical in size front to back and top to bottom. In other words, they look the same from the side.

Topcase 37 49 x 40 x 31cm
Topcase 46 58 x 42 x 31cm
ultrachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #7677
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multisurface Rider View Post
I am thinking of a 950 SM carb model. I ride and like to put miles behind me without worring about stopping for fuel. How many miles are you getting on a tank of gas and what kind of larger tank options are out there.

Thanks
If you can find an SMR, any of the oversize tanks for a Super Enduro will fit.
I got between 34 and 41 mpg.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #7678
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Quote:

I can fit my Arai XD or a Shoei in mine. I lay it on its side then curl my jacket around it.

As for the Rally, Halfway in between, I cold probably make that one! I will stay tuned.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #7679
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multisurface Rider View Post

Thanks
I get about mid 30's. Fuel light on at about 120 miles and can see about 140-150 miles before I am pushing it.. I don't think I have EVER gotten into the 40's. I just can't ride it that slow!!!!
Old 09-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #7680
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Quote:
I get about mid 30's. Fuel light on at about 120 miles and can see about 140-150 miles before I am pushing it.. I don't think I have EVER gotten into the 40's. I just can't ride it that slow!!!!
I am dry at 140-150 miles, from my SM's standard 4.6 gals, as well. Granted with FCR carbs, but carbs none the less. Riding at 55-60 mph, I have gotten 42-43 mpg, but I rarely ride in that kind of traffic...

The Aqualine 8 gallon tank for the SE/SMR is one solution to extended range. The other being a 2-1 exhaust conversion and addition of a 1.5 gallon subframe tank in place of the Lt side muffler. The 1.5gal tank can be added to either model, IIRC.