Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #7696
samppa2005
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMoto View Post
Wow! You write in English so well I thought you were a transplant to Finland from somewhere else! If you write this well in English, are you some kind of famous author in Finland? As you probably guessed, "Trumpet" is slang for "Triumph".

I'm picking up the SE splash protector today. I'm also doing a preventative water pump rebuild before my Colorodo trip. I got the official KTM holder and seal protector so I'm hoping it goes without any hitches.

Sometimes i write so much crap at work i should probably be a fantasy author But alas i'm a mere humble engineer.

Just be sure to shave off a bit from the sides of the splash guard before mounting it. I can take a picture of the way i did it if you want.

Can't seem to recall anyone mentioning battery monitors here so i thought i'd share my experiences on this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISA...m=150479033981
Couldn't find their website so i put a link to the ebay site. After my regulator got fried last autumn i got a little worried as to how my battery was doing so i put one of these in. Put it in the dash and now i can see the voltage in the battery without having to worry if everything is ok. There are other models that actually display the voltage but i preferred a simpler version. For me this gives a lot of piece of mind for very little money.
samppa2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #7697
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Oddometer: 313
Water pump seal lube?

Quick question: What do you guys reccommend for lubing the water pump seals? Pyndon says silicone paste or silicone grease and cpmodem says lots of your favorite seal lube. The parts guy said BelRay waterfroof grease. Is there an actual 'seal grease' ?

samppa2005- That battery monitor looks like peace of mind for one of the problems these bikes have had.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #7698
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,086
Quote:
Quick question: What do you guys reccommend for lubing the water pump seals? Pyndon says silicone paste or silicone grease and cpmodem says lots of your favorite seal lube. The parts guy said BelRay waterfroof grease. Is there an actual 'seal grease' ?

samppa2005- That battery monitor looks like peace of mind for one of the problems these bikes have had.
There is seal grease for fork seals! Don't know if it is relevant to WP shaft seals, but I know my Suspension builder won't install new seals without this "special" grease... edit to add: it is Race Tech UltraSlick.

Pic for the pack:

Trumpet!
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #7699
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
There is seal grease for fork seals! Don't know if it is relevant to WP shaft seals, but I know my Suspension builder won't install new seals without this "special" grease... edit to add: it is Race Tech UltraSlick.

Pic for the pack:

Trumpet!
That looks SWEET!!!!!
Old 09-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #7700
samppa2005
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post

Pic for the pack:

Trumpet!
That is a nice bike! I have been drooling over those scramblers for a while already. Unfortunately i don't have the time or money to keep more then one bike and nothing so far seems better then my SM
samppa2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:11 PM   #7701
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

water pump

Here's the obligatory old vs new water pump shaft picture

I caught this just in time! No oil in the coolant (but lots of sediment) and no coolant in the oil. I called all the auto parts stores and nobody had silicone grease so I used waterproof Belray in the seals. The silicone grease must be a European thing... Mileage is just over 10k. I have to work tomorrow so I'll have to wait until Sunday to see if all is good.

snowhawk jockey- that '71 scrambler looks brand new - nice!

Update: I was busy with the waterpump yesterday and did not have the time to hunt down the earlier discussions about the silicone grease. Found Gary's and nattyMo's discussions on them today back on page 486 if anyone else is interested. I also changed the spark plugs yesterday for good measure since I had the radiator pulled forward. The front coil had not been fully seated and there was a bit of rust on the plug top and inside the boot. Cleaned it all up and am hoping for a 50% power increase! Will find out tomorrow.

BuckMoto screwed with this post 09-25-2012 at 07:12 AM Reason: fix spelling
BuckMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #7702
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Nice job on the WP shaft! I am thinking of getting the parts to do that and keep them on hand.
I think I am at around 12,k frt and maybe 15,k rr miles and deserve to give the motor some attention. WP and FP are considerations at this mileage, but Valve shim specs are my real question. I have a theory my rear cylinder has a tight intake valve and it is making start-up a pain. Time to dig into that and measure my clearances.

I have to admit that the scrambler used to look like that... The PO bought it, put a Mikuni and knobs on it and ran it on his horse dung moto track! Luckily it wasn't really altered to do so and only had some minor exhaust leaks. I have, however, converted all the controls to cheapo'break'um Japanese and removed all the original Lucas switches and twister. I have lined up the Boyer ignition and potted voltage regulator to be installed next week. After a good run in period with GF at the bars, I'll put her original parts back on, saving those perches and levers from her first occasional dumps in the dust...
Old 09-24-2012, 04:42 AM   #7703
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,759
New Inmate!

Add another freak to the list of SMR owners:

Picked it up (used) from another inmate here. My understanding is that at least one other ADVer owned it prior to him, but my crappy memory for names has thwarted me here. (Does this look familiar to anyone? )

Anyhoo, I'm coming off a Tiger 1050, and the SMR feels so tiny! Very, very hypermotard.

So, I've got a lot of learnin' to do, and I'm here to suck the sweet teat of your knowledge!

So, starter questions:

* I want to wire in my Zumo 550 GPS. What's the correct way to do this? There appear to be two "accessory" fuses. Manual says they terminate near the headlamp?

* I need some modest day-to-day storage! Yes, I know top-cases are a visual sin (especially on a beauty like this!) but I've got a Givi already. I'm thinking of getting the SW-motech "Alu Rack" and use my Givi + Adapter plate. Has anyone else done this? Mostly, I'm curious how ugly it's gonna look.

* Centerstand, or paddock stand?

THANKS!

Jesse

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:52 AM   #7704
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
So, starter questions:

Yeah, add one more:

If I wanted to get a small tasteful windscreen -- half for the wind, but just as much for holding my EZpass, what do folks recommend?

Old 09-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #7705
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,887
Welcome to the club Jesse
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #7706
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Quote:
Yeah, add one more:

If I wanted to get a small tasteful windscreen -- half for the wind, but just as much for holding my EZpass, what do folks recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry simmons back on page 511

Welcome to the hood!
BTW This guy has your answers!!
Old 09-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #7707
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,173
Quote:
Yeah, add one more:

That's my bike in the pic above...

I have had the Laminar Lip "touring" screen (the taller one) for 5 seasons now. Works great for me (6' 3") at keeping the windblast off my body and no buffeting. It's held on with 3M dual-lock "dots". It's been through track days and have no issues with it staying stuck. Personally, I keep a small Wolfman "Enduro" tank bag on the bike and put my EZ Pass in the clear map pocket on top.

RE: GPS
If you remove the headlight (two bolts and lift) you will find two sets of unused spade (right word?) connecters in there marked ACC1 and ACC2. One is keyed, the other is not (i forget which). I just wire my Zumo into the unkeyed (always on) one.

FWIW, that's a Rick Mayer seat and the 46L top case from the Hard Parts catalog (KTM badged Shad).
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #7708
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Quote:
Add another freak to the list of SMR owners:

Picked it up (used) from another inmate here. My understanding is that at least one other ADVer owned it prior to him, but my crappy memory for names has thwarted me here. (Does this look familiar to anyone? )

Anyhoo, I'm coming off a Tiger 1050, and the SMR feels so tiny! Very, very hypermotard.

So, I've got a lot of learnin' to do, and I'm here to suck the sweet teat of your knowledge!

So, starter questions:

* I want to wire in my Zumo 550 GPS. What's the correct way to do this? There appear to be two "accessory" fuses. Manual says they terminate near the headlamp

Jesse
Welcome! Extra kudos for picking the best looking model of all the supermotos!

I just happened to be installing the grip warmers I bought last winter. A bit of procrastination but figured I might like them if I ride up Pike's Peak next week. Anyway, here's some pics that might help:

Behind the headlight there are two cables that each have conductors that end in female spade conectors. My SMR's cables are not labeled. One cable has a connector with a brown (ground) wire and a connector with a yellow-red (12v) wire and this is the ACC1 cable. The other cable has a connector with a brown (ground) wire and another connector with 2 red-black wires (12v). This is the ACC2 cable.The headlight assembly is removed by taking out the two 8mm headed bolts on the top and lifting the assembly up and out. When putting it back on, make sure to engage the 2 pins on the lower triple clamp.

I'm using ACC2 which requires the key to be on to work. Here it is with the key off:

With the key on:

I did test the yellow-red ACC1 and it is always hot.

Hope you have great adventures with your new bike.

BuckMoto screwed with this post 09-25-2012 at 07:15 AM Reason: added bit about pins on lower triple clamp.
BuckMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:34 AM   #7709
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
With the key on:

I did test the yellow-red ACC1 and it is always hot.

Hope you have great adventures with your new bike.
Thanks for the pics! That looks easy-peasy.

I'm trying to resist the urge to add all the crap I had on the Tiger, and basically sport-tour this thing. That being said, with cold weather coming I probably should add an accessory powerlet plug for heated gear.

What did you do for heated grips?

FYI, I sucked it up and ordered the ALU-rack. Sadly, Twisted Throttle is back-ordered until November. Grrrr...

Old 09-25-2012, 07:23 AM   #7710
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Quote:
What did you do for heated grips?

I'm using these because I can choose my grips:

http://www.ktm-parts.com/U6951345.html

These may actually work better since the heaters would be closer to the grip surface. I think these are the ones eSong uses:

http://www.ktm-parts.com/60112064244.html