User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #7816
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Subject change.

My stock tire is 180/55. Will a 190 fit? Does it speed up the steering? 55 or 50 series? Thanks.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #7817
Dahlin
Need more time...

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlin View Post
I am not worried about the tire, there is plenty of rubber in that area, but I am conserned about the wheel and its position in the swing arm.
When mounted in the correct position, it should not rub the chain guard and the chain, I doubt that it was the KTM engineers intention.

There seems to be a spacer on both sides of the wheel, I will take the wheel of the bike and look more careful.

The chain and sprockets are really worn, I have new parts that will go on the bike this weekend, maybe that will be the end of the chain rubbing the tire.

How do I attach a picture? Link to picture: http://www.sporthoj.com/forum/attach...1&d=1349896548
Updated with link.
2012 Husaberg FE390
Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #7818
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
Subject change.

My stock tire is 180/55. Will a 190 fit? Does it speed up the steering? 55 or 50 series? Thanks.
I would think it would be slower turning? Why do you want to go with a 190? There are even less options in that tire size. A 50 would have a flatter profile and the extra width in my mind would make it harder to turn in.

MY RC51 has a 190/50 and to me it is harder to turn the bike (than my SM which I run the stock 180/55) unless you are at speed. Around town speeds, it takes a good shove to get her into a turn.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #7819
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
Just rolling along. Grabbed a dirt tag. The TKCs would have been useful for the 2 miles of mud getting the tag, but the Pilot 3's were preferred for the 250 miles of twisties to and from it

Walter, why are you still running those stock cans!!??? I still have the scar on my arm from when I had those and reached over the bike for something, I can still feel the blistering thinking about it.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #7820
eSONG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlin View Post
Last week I traded my KTM625SXC for a KTM 950 SM. Twice the power-twice the fun!

I have a Bridgestone 180/55-17 rear tire and it is very close to the chain guard, it is also clear wear marks from the chain in the edge of the tire.

Is this normal or have the previous owner screwd something up?
i had similar issues with the chain rubbing the edge of the tire when the chain was due for replacement. i'd check your chain and see if it its within spec. i think the owner's manual lists a measurement.
eSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #7821
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSONG View Post
i had similar issues with the chain rubbing the edge of the tire when the chain was due for replacement. i'd check your chain and see if it its within spec. i think the owner's manual lists a measurement.
Looks like the chain is just blown out and has toooooo much side to side play.
The rubbing is surely the chain as you can see the wave pattern in the tire.
My last chain could flex too far sideways and touch the tire, when I replaced it.

snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #7822
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
I would think it would be slower turning? Why do you want to go with a 190? There are even less options in that tire size. A 50 would have a flatter profile and the extra width in my mind would make it harder to turn in.

MY RC51 has a 190/50 and to me it is harder to turn the bike (than my SM which I run the stock 180/55) unless you are at speed. Around town speeds, it takes a good shove to get her into a turn.
My Duc has a stock 190/50 series, and it turns in faster (taller tire) than a 180/55. Smaller aspect ratio, but the overall height of the tire is taller.

And I was thinking 55 series, but as of yet, I'm not sure which way I was going to go. As for the options of which tire I could run, they sell all the tires I'm interested in in both sizes.

And I love the way you can throw this bike into turns. Bumps, lumps, smooth, rough, whatever, it just soaks it all up, makes my Ducati feel downright primitive, and it's got an Ohlins in the rear and Race Tech did the forks.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:35 AM   #7823
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
My Duc has a stock 190/50 series, and it turns in faster (taller tire) than a 180/55. Smaller aspect ratio, but the overall height of the tire is taller.

And I was thinking 55 series, but as of yet, I'm not sure which way I was going to go. As for the options of which tire I could run, they sell all the tires I'm interested in in both sizes.

And I love the way you can throw this bike into turns. Bumps, lumps, smooth, rough, whatever, it just soaks it all up, makes my Ducati feel downright primitive, and it's got an Ohlins in the rear and Race Tech did the forks.
This is off the subject but Monsters never came with a 190 rear, even the S4's

That's not to say you can't get one on there, just that the factory didn't deliver them that way. Stock 17x5.5 rear wheel?
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:45 AM   #7824
samppa2005
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Subject change.

Theoretically i guess it should fit. Theoretically it might also speed up the steering but how much and how does it affect the overall performance? I think the 190 should have a bigger contact patch for more traction. Also i guess the 190 is a lot more expencive. Only way to find out for sure is to try If you do let us know.
If i wanted better steering though i'd drop the forks a bit lower in the triples. It's easier to control the amount and it's well documented by others as well. Lots of people seem to do that but so far i've been happy with the steering. Also it's free
samppa2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:56 AM   #7825
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
Surely you have found a lighter and cooler running set of cans by now??? The fact you are still running stock exhaust is interesting. It must serve your purpose some how?
Quote:
Walter, why are you still running those stock cans!!??? I still have the scar on my arm from when I had those and reached over the bike for something, I can still feel the blistering thinking about it.

I've just never gotten around to changing them I recently made an offer on cans and some other stuff that an inmate was selling, but I guess it wasn't enough.

I have the stock cans (though cats removed) on the SE as well. I'm thinking of putting a 2-1 on it over the winter.

Looking back, I've never been much for an exhaust changer. No sense alerting the countryside gendarmes that you're in the area

And yes, I probably have the same burn scars
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #7826
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
I've just never gotten around to changing them I recently made an offer on cans and some other stuff that an inmate was selling, but I guess it wasn't enough.

I have the stock cans (though cats removed) on the SE as well. I'm thinking of putting a 2-1 on it over the winter.

Looking back, I've never been much for an exhaust changer. No sense alerting the countryside gendarmes that you're in the area

And yes, I probably have the same burn scars
I never have been either, but I just couldn't take the heat anymore. I went with the Wings and they were worth every penny and not loud in an obnoxious way but have a nice growl to them. (The volume can be dialed up or down appropriately with the right hand control switch when the Gendarmes are about.)

I can literally put my hand right on the cans after riding for well over an hour and they feel warm. Try that with the stockers and you will need a skin translpant. Ouch!!! (The tip is still blisteringly hot and anything that gets near that while running, like say a bag with two tennis rackets inside will likely melt, rackets included, or so I have heard...)
Old 10-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #7827
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,130
Quote:
>snip)
Yeah... the stock cans got a jacket sleeve, two pairs of gloves and a saddle bag. I figured if I was gonna have to buy new gear every time I fumbled at the gas station and bumped into a muffler, might as well take that cash and cure the problem!

Now, I have a new nemesis and it is the exposed ADV header that keeps claiming my riding pants, at the right knee. Glad I could fit a shroud to it, now that I have gone through two pairs of pants. O'course one pair were the brand new ones...
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #7828
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Snowhack, I cant remember if I had asked you before or not, so Ill ask you now, did you use a stock exhaust system from an adv 950 and did it just bolt right on to your SM?
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #7829
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,365
Trying to install windscreen

In the name of all that is holy, how the heck do you disassemble the headlight / fairing enough to remove the front plastic?

This thing looks like a meaningless jumble of wires and plastic bits to me:

Would it help if I started drinking?

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #7830
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
What windscreen?

I put my 690 screen on without taking anything apart...
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote