Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #7846
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
There are various opinions of replacing the paper filter with the stainless. With the paper, the wavy pleats that indicate a coolant leak (usually due to a failing waterpump shaft/seal), is a helpful indicator to some of us. However, the stainless filter will still work if you get a coolant leak while the paper filter will become clogged to the point of it interfering with your oil circulation. I have gone back and forth with switching to the scott's but have decided to keep running the paper filters, i also upgraded to a CJ Racer see-through clutch cover that should help me spot the water pump/seal failure without having to pull anything. I should be able to see the milk shake when it happens.

Been there, done that!

I'm pretty sure you'd see a shitton of mayonnaise, even on a steel filter, no?

FYI, if you see your coolant level going down, but can't find a leak anywhere... well, it's going somewhere.

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #7847
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
Been there, done that!

I'm pretty sure you'd see a shitton of mayonnaise, even on a steel filter, no?

FYI, if you see your coolant level going down, but can't find a leak anywhere... well, it's going somewhere.
It depends on how long/bad the failure was. The pleats will start to get pretty wavy well before you actually would notice the milkshake. But eventually, yes, I guess you would.

And the comment about disappearing coolant is spot on, so there are other indicators available apart from the wavy pleats.

Go for it and let us know your findings!!!!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #7848
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,858
Every LC-8 I owned got a SS filter. Keep the juice flowing! I just watch my overflow and if it ever gets low I'll do the WP.
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #7849
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,087
5 Micron filtration debate aside...

I was a HUGE fan of reusable filters during my RFS days. There were two to deal with every other ride and the cash savings was big. The fact that I wasn't throwing away the old oil soaked filters gave me a envio-fuzzy, too. The trick I learned was to get a cheap, counter top, consumer grade, ultra-sonic cleaning unit and use it to clean the SS filters, since solvent and compressed air only removed part of the contaminants, impregnated in the screen mesh, and not all.

The benefits of doing one on the LC8 are the reduction of Enviro waste, the savings of purchasing the paper unit, the "anywhere" road side serviceablility and the SS unit will flow milkshake, just in case...

I will be sticking to paper until I have to plan a trip where it won't be practicle to carry a filter or locate one when the service is due. The run up the Al-can or down to Peru will have me installing a SS Oil filter, for sure.
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #7850
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Just a note, regardless of what micron size they claim to filter to

if it flows a milk shake, it can do so by doing a worse job of filtering than a comparable filter that will not flow a milk shake.

Kind of like a k&n makes more power because it flows more, which it can do because it filters less.
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #7851
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900rider View Post

if it flows a milk shake, it can do so by doing a worse job of filtering than a comparable filter that will not flow a milk shake.

Kind of like a k&n makes more power because it flows more, which it can do because it filters less.

"flows more cause it filters less"
Them's 's the facts Jack!

The K&N is a perfect example of this.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #7852
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple View Post
Riding 950sm on dirt roads with street tires finally bit me when road turned to sand. Need crash bars or frame sliders. Seems like sliders would just dig in on dirt. KTM makes bars that fit 990 and smt but not 950sm anybody have ideas. THANKS

This is a good question that purple posted in OC, so I am porting it over here. Anyone got 950Sm crash bars? I could use a set too...
Old 10-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #7853
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
This is a good question that purple posted in OC, so I am porting it over here. Anyone got 950Sm crash bars? I could use a set too...

The problem with any type of lower protection is there isn't anyplace solid to mount it. You have the engine and oil tank where you need a frame. Adding stress there is risky business, look at the problems some have with skidplates destroying rads on the SEs.

Another area to watch is the sidestand, which can/will crack the engine cases from a simple fall. Better to not drop these bikes at all, (no shat, I know). They are pretty robust for what they are but adding bars will most likely transfer damage to parts you don't want hurt either, and could add leverage to do far more harm that a simple layover.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #7854
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Not exactly, go to Scotts site and read their test results. They filter as well or better than paper but do not constrict at all when the slightest water is present. My engines get condensation in them in cold, wet weather from the air. Check your oil window and sometimes it will have a thin white line of water above the oil. Perfectly normal. It should/will burn off but if it gets to the filter you get damage and loss of oil flow.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #7855
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,336
Not necessarily true.

KTM_Mike uses them and his SMR has been down hard enough to bend them - several times - without doing any other damage to the bike. He's on his second set of bars (I gave him my old bars when no one wanted them) and he swears by them.

The side stand advice is sound. There are several kits to relocate the sidestand (check them, not all work on an SM or SMR) and that shoud be one of the first "farkles" you buy for a 950/990.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
The problem with any type of lower protection is there isn't anyplace solid to mount it. You have the engine and oil tank where you need a frame. Adding stress there is risky business, look at the problems some have with skidplates destroying rads on the SEs.

Another area to watch is the sidestand, which can/will crack the engine cases from a simple fall. Better to not drop these bikes at all, (no shat, I know). They are pretty robust for what they are but adding bars will most likely transfer damage to parts you don't want hurt either, and could add leverage to do far more harm that a simple layover.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #7856
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,353
Quote:

The best I've ever heard it dewcribed..
Old 10-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #7857
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=6USMC6;19825756]Not necessarily true.

KTM_Mike uses them and his SMR has been down hard enough to bend them - several times - without doing any other damage to the bike. He's on his second set of bars (I gave him my old bars when no one wanted them) and he swears by them.

I only have experience with the SE and skidplate mounting so was guessing on the damage a set of bars might do under a SM/SMR. I wouldn't have wanted to test them on my bike. Glad to hear they actually protect the bike!

I guessed wrong I guess!
Old 10-16-2012, 01:26 AM   #7858
samppa2005
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
I have the sw-motech crashbars on my 990 sm (some pics previously). They are mounted solid on the engine mounts so no problem there. The only thing about them is there is no crossbar between the different sides so they do bend fairly easily. It wouldn't be a difficult thing to make a crossbar but so far i haven't seen the need for one. Would stiffen up the construction quite a bit. They are a bit pricey as well. It can be hazardous if the bars bend and damage the tank even if it would have just skidded along otherwise. So if anyone has a pipe bender and some time i'd be interested in a crossbar

On an SE some people claim that if you plan on crashing on dirt the bars will only make it worse. I see the argument but i still put them on

As for the skidplate it's actually funny that the sw-motech skidplate is mounted exactly on the same place all the ADV riders want to remove their sidestand from. The SE skidplate is mounted on the oiltank which can take quite a beating. The "fuse" in that design is the oilpan bolts which will snap off. It takes quite a hit. On an SE that could be considered a design flaw but on an SM that should tell you to swap the bike to something different

The sidestand relocators don't seem to fit perfectly on the sm. From what i've seen anyway. They all seem to require some fixing points that don't exist in the sm (center stand etc...). So far i've been only on gravel roads mostly and the sidestand would require a hit from a big rock or similar i think. It's possible just by dropping it but less likely. Mostly it's a hit from below to the sidestand. Been on the lookout but nothing interesting so far. Also no time to make my own version
samppa2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:42 AM   #7859
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
I fit up crash bars for the 990 smt to my 07 smr. Took some slight bending of mounting tabs but they pretty much bolted on.
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #7860
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Quote:
I fit up crash bars for the 990 smt to my 07 smr. Took some slight bending of mounting tabs but they pretty much bolted on.
Great news! I should really get something else to scratch up besides more tank shrouds...