Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #7891
Curvesurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Thanks. I'm not taking off the tank, just getting ready to store it through the rainy season. I let it sit too long without draining the carbs the last time and it was not happy when I tried to get it running again....
'95 900SS SP
Curvesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #7892
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
Buck, get some video up when you can!
Looks awesome.
OK, here's the first video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN-Bp_gi2ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by samppa2005
We are expecting first snow here any day now. It's going to be painful to watch those videos! The TKCs have been a blast so far! I still don't have the confidence to use all their potential on road and they do seem to be very slippery on a cold and wet road. Also sewer covers and tar patches are slippery. But oh what fun on gravel...
It's going to be painful to ride in Kansas after this! I know what you mean about confidence on the road with these tires. I did ride pavement (and dirt) in some cold rain and the tires actually surprised me how well they did. I am nervous about leaning it over too far - the narrow outside row of knobs are few and far apart which could be squirmy and disastorous.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #7893
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMoto View Post
OK, here's the first video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN-Bp_gi2ac

It's going to be painful to ride in Kansas after this! I know what you mean about confidence on the road with these tires. I did ride pavement (and dirt) in some cold rain and the tires actually surprised me how well they did. I am nervous about leaning it over too far - the narrow outside row of knobs are few and far apart which could be squirmy and disastorous.
TKC-80 knobs will spin up on cold and wet, especially while leaned in a corner on pavement, when a proper rip of the throttle is applied. I found them to skid out a natural amount while spinning and, on trail braking, would follow back into track together smoothly. Not a big deal, but if you lean the bike over, the tire edge is exposed. If you lean yourself, hips off the seat and shoulders over, instead of tipping the bike, you can turn just as sharp with TKC's, but the contact patch consists of more rows of knobs, with the bike upright, than on edge.

I loved the video. It is downloaded and will serve this winter as some handlebar time therapy. :-)
You can benefit yourself by getting a skid.
Those pipes get much closer to contact than I cared to admit.
The tires seem to give the bike a whole different front end in the dirt. Is that correct?
So much throttle in the corner, a couple times, I was nervous for the 17" floaty front!
You layed in the line nicely though and didn't slow down a bit.
Very cool neighborhood to ride in!

snowhawk jockey screwed with this post 10-23-2012 at 10:43 PM
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #7894
Smilin' Dave
I am smiling

Oddometer: 118
Fuel taps

I was warned by a orange certified KTM mechanic that the fuel taps are fragile. Lightly close them and they will not leak.
'96 KLR 650
'88 ZX-10
Smilin' Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:10 AM   #7895
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,991
Quote:
OK, here's the first video!...
Very nice
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:54 AM   #7896
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
TKC-80 knobs will spin up on cold and wet, especially while leaned in a corner on pavement, when a proper rip of the throttle is applied. I found them to skid out a natural amount while spinning and, on trail braking, would follow back into track together smoothly. Not a big deal, but if you lean the bike over, the tire edge is exposed. If you lean yourself, hips off the seat and shoulders over, instead of tipping the bike, you can turn just as sharp with TKC's, but the contact patch consists of more rows of knobs, with the bike upright, than on edge.

I loved the video. It is downloaded and will serve this winter as some handlebar time therapy. :-)
You can benefit yourself by getting a skid.
Those pipes get much closer to contact than I cared to admit.
The tires seem to give the bike a whole different front end in the dirt. Is that correct?
So much throttle in the corner, a couple times, I was nervous for the 17" floaty front!
You layed in the line nicely though and didn't slow down a bit.
Very cool neighborhood to ride in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow
Very nice
Thanks for the awesome comments -much appreciated!

The tires did give the bike a whole new level of ability off-road -especially in sand and loose stuff. I took samppa2005's advice and tried running full street pressure to protect the cast wheels and it seemed to work well for the most part. With a spoked & tubed snohawk setup, I could see where lower pressures would help hold the front better in higher speed dirt corners. I did miss the Pirellis on pavement twisties though! I have more video where I was off the side of the seat in pavement twisties, and although I was getting to almost twice the posted corner speeds, I never felt as relaxed as with the Pirellis.

I probably took too much video and am working on a 4-part piece that was done on a gray day with the most amazing skies. I'll post part 2 later today which shows how well the TKC's and 15-tooth c/s did in some more demanding situations.

P.S.- snohawk jockey- my fuel quick disconnect was giving me trouble the last time I pulled the tank. I would be very interested to see what you come up with.

BuckMoto screwed with this post 10-24-2012 at 10:20 AM Reason: fuel disconnect
BuckMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #7897
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow
Very nice

Buck, you forgot the / between the "[" and the second word "QUOTE" >FIXT<

Thanks for the awesome comments -much appreciated!

The tires did give the bike a whole new level of ability off-road -especially in sand and loose stuff. I took samppa2005's advice and tried running full street pressure to protect the cast wheels and it seemed to work well for the most part. With a spoked & tubed snohawk setup, I could see where lower pressures would help hold the front better in higher speed dirt corners. I did miss the Pirellis on pavement twisties though! I have more video where I was off the side of the seat in pavement twisties, and although I was getting to almost twice the posted corner speeds, I never felt as relaxed as with the Pirellis.

I probably took too much video and am working on a 4-part piece that was done on a gray day with the most amazing skies. I'll post part 2 later today which shows how well the TKC's and 15-tooth c/s did in some more demanding situations.

P.S.- snohawk jockey- my fuel quick disconnect was giving me trouble the last time I pulled the tank. I would be very interested to see what you come up with.
Great news on the tires! A buddy of mine is picking up an 06 950Sm and he really wants to cruise fire roads with confidence. I will recommend the TKC's!

The quick fitting on the fuel line is a plastic Dorman type. I have found a local fluid connector shop that does hydraulic lines and they stock the same fitting, but metal!

Here is an online source for the fittings:

http://www.coleparmer.com/Search/met...ick-disconnect

There is also the Jiffy-tite brand that are used in auto applications. they look fancy, with their anodized aluminum colors, and have a fancy price to match!
Old 10-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #7898
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Quote:
Great news on the tires! A buddy of mine is picking up an 06 950Sm and he really wants to cruise fire roads with confidence. I will recommend the TKC's!

The quick fitting on the fuel line is a plastic Dorman type. I have found a local fluid connector shop that does hydraulic lines and they stock the same fitting, but metal!

There is also the Jiffy-tite brand that are used in auto applications. they look fancy, with their anodized aluminum colors, and have a fancy price to match!
Thanks for the info. I need to get me one before the plastic one gives out.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #7899
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I need to get me one before the plastic one gives out.
The female side isn't as thin and vulnerable as the male side. Looking at the groove around the male fitting, that the lock ring slips into, mine snapped in that groove, leaving the male probe still locked into the female fitting. This meant that I had to replace the fitting, in near field conditions. I ended up with a double male hose barb instead of a coupler and had to unclamp and drain it, every time I pull the tank.

My next fluid connector project is to get the oil return lines fabbed out of SS, since I tend to rub them on the ground...
Old 10-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #7900
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,487
Quote:

Sweet! I think those are in my future. I have 41,000 miles on the old girl now and that is about the only piece in the fuel lines that hasn't been replaced. this past year I replaced all the preformed, straight and crossover hoses, but kept the quick connect. It would be smart to have the metal ones on hand for when (not if) the plastic ones give out. Thanks for posting.

Has anyone added quick connects to the taps on the tank? That would be sweet too.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #7901
wirinfrenzy
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Ktm

Loving my 950 SM

wirinfrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #7902
wirinfrenzy
n00b

Oddometer: 9
one more

One more.
wirinfrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:08 PM   #7903
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Here's the TKC-80s and 15-tooth c/s at work!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHk1wUMclaA

Cool pics wirinfrenzy!
Old 10-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #7904
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirinfrenzy View Post
One more.
Is that the road in Tennessee where everybody complains about all the motorcycles hauling ass through there?
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #7905
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
Is that the road in Tennessee where everybody complains about all the motorcycles hauling ass through there?
I think it's the dragon.

If you'd like to see ADV at its worse....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454662