Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2012, 04:06 AM   #7906
wirinfrenzy
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Corndog, why yes it is, "that road" indeed. I dont haul ass though. I just try to ride smooth and keep it in my lane.
I was maybe doing 50 or so in these pics. 2nd gear.
wirinfrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:34 AM   #7907
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
I have no idea how you manage to put a knee down on that bike.

I'm well over 6' and I don't think I've ever been close on my smr even though I hang off and use pretty much the whole rear tire surface. Its just such a tall bike and I have a hard time sticking to it when I'm hung off.
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:51 AM   #7908
wirinfrenzy
n00b

Get the rubber hot and lay her on over.

Having tight mountain switch backs helps also.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:53 AM   #7909
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Lol, id say
Old 10-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #7910
doctor_big
It hurts when I fall down

Oddometer: 684
I'm 5'9" and on my last track day I ground through half my knee pucks. You gotta hang off it like a monkey.

Jason
Old 10-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #7911
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Agreed. My problem, though, is when I do that I start to slide off the bike. I have a hard time sticking in place on it.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #7912
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirinfrenzy View Post
I was maybe doing 50 or so in these pics. 2nd gear.

"Officer, did I say 50? What I meant to say (on a public forum) is 35. Yeah, that's right. 35 MPH."

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #7913
doctor_big

I use the inside of my calf on the side of the tank as my anchor. I gotta see if I can find a photo...
Old 10-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #7914
doctor_big

The outside (high) arm also does a lot of work holding you in place.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #7915
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by 900rider View Post
Agreed. My problem, though, is when I do that I start to slide off the bike. I have a hard time sticking in place on it.
When I start leaning too far my ass puckers up and I don't slide off the seat at all!
Old 10-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #7916
wirinfrenzy
n00b

Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post

"Officer, did I say 50? What I meant to say (on a public forum) is 35. Yeah, that's right. 35 MPH."
Shhhhh
I won't tell anyone if you don't.

Speed limit is 30mph I think.

wirinfrenzy screwed with this post 10-25-2012 at 05:27 PM Reason: Speed limit
Old 10-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #7917
samppa2005
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
990 ADV high chasis kit?

As winter sets in here some weird ideas always start popping into my head A sudden urge to pull the bike apart and fiddle with things. It must be some sort of a condition...
Ok so i have been thinking about the suspension on the bikes. 950 SM/SMR have 210mm suspension as well as the 990 SM. Also the standard ADV has 210 mm suspension...sooo...you see what i'm getting at snowhawk & buck?
There is this http://www.ktm-parts.com/60112950033.html.
If that converts the ADV 210 mm to ADV-R 256 (55mm) will it fit into a 210mm SM/SMR? I'm assuming KTM uses standard parts everywhere possible and therefore that the only differnce between the 210 ADV and SM suspension is the spring and valving. If those are the only differences shouldn't it fit?
I don't think i'll do it even if it would fit (then again when i bought the bike i wanted to keep it stock ) but it's an interesting thought i think.
samppa2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:31 AM   #7918
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by samppa2005 View Post
As winter sets in here some weird ideas always start popping into my head A sudden urge to pull the bike apart and fiddle with things. It must be some sort of a condition...
Ok so i have been thinking about the suspension on the bikes. 950 SM/SMR have 210mm suspension as well as the 990 SM. Also the standard ADV has 210 mm suspension...sooo...you see what i'm getting at snowhawk & buck?
There is this http://www.ktm-parts.com/60112950033.html.
If that converts the ADV 210 mm to ADV-R 256 (55mm) will it fit into a 210mm SM/SMR? I'm assuming KTM uses standard parts everywhere possible and therefore that the only differnce between the 210 ADV and SM suspension is the spring and valving. If those are the only differences shouldn't it fit?
I don't think i'll do it even if it would fit (then again when i bought the bike i wanted to keep it stock ) but it's an interesting thought i think.
I really don't understand why those of you who want dirt tires and dirt suspension didn't just buy an Adventure ? The SM is a street bike, meant to be so. For all you do to make it more dirt worthy, you subtract from it's street performance.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:16 AM   #7919
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,171
RE: Hanging off

The only time I ever got a knee down it was followed immediately by getting a hip down, and a shoulder down...

That was on my Sprint RS in 2003. Yet to touch a puck, even at a track day.
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #7920
samppa2005
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
I really don't understand why those of you who want dirt tires and dirt suspension didn't just buy an Adventure ? The SM is a street bike, meant to be so. For all you do to make it more dirt worthy, you subtract from it's street performance.
This is a matter of taste. In my opinion a supermoto is supposed to go offroad as well. It's developed from an offroad bike to be more street capable. Not purely a street bike. I don't want a dirt bike but i do want my supermoto to be better offroad. The higher suspension would come into play if i wanted to turn my bike into a superenduro. So far i'm happy with my 17" wheels and the 210 mm suspension because i don't want a dirt bike. I just want to use the full potential of my supermoto which in my opinion includes the fact that i can take her offroading as well. If i wanted a big dirtbike i'd get an SE or an ADV. If i wanted a streetbike i'd get a superduke.
So the same question could be asked of you. If you want a pure streetbike why not get a superduke? I'm not asking though
The fact is that i really like my SM and i just want to adjust it to my needs. Sure i could get an ADV as well but i just don't WANT to get one
My SM started out being a street bike and it was fun for a year or two. The local roads got boring so i wanted to expand my routes to the gravel roads. So i did some tinkering and i can do it with my trusted warhorse. The fantastic thing about the SM is that it sits fairly in the middle of the road-dirt axis. If i want to ride more street oriented i can make some adjustments and go for a track day. If i want to take it offroading i can do some tinkering and off i go again. It's the versatility that's appealing. The simplest conversion is to just change the tires from knobbies to road/track tires and adjusting the shocks.
Could be that the day comes when i want to explore the possibility of the 265 mm suspension as well and still i could (possibly) do it with my SM. But not yet
Also in the end it could just be that i can and i like to tinker with my bikes
samppa2005 is offline   Reply With Quote