Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #7936
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppypyro View Post
Price. I bought my 950 sm for 4500 bucks, which is half or less then half the price of a super enduro up here.

Im sure I could turn my bike into the same thing as an SE if I wanted for 5 grand!

Wont cost me that though and ill have a bike thats the next best thing, skid plate, tires, and moving the pipes up high are really everything that I personally need to make this SM into the perfect bike for my needs, and will meet or exceed what an adv or se can do for my needs. (specially for the price!)

Still a hell of alot cheaper then an se or and adv!

One day id like to get an SE though dont get me wrong, they are pretty badass!

You got a heckuva good deal....
Old 10-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #7937
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
You got a heckuva good deal....
Thanks, yeah I got lucky, shipped it from across Canada though, but shipping was cheap.

Im not a hardcore off road rider right now anyways. Most of my riding is trails, gravel, fields, then the commute to and from work on gravel and pavement.

Im more of a quadding kinda guy for the offroad stuff. Im the only one out of my friends and family that rides a bike, and they all have quads, so there ya go haha.
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #7938
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppypyro View Post
Thanks for the number. Just called them up, best they could do on a set was 550 bucks. Looks like I missed the sale!

Next time!
Check this out. When I first called them, a nice lady named Josie called me back and told me they had a set of used slip-ons off their dyno mule, for $186, In great shape. I called them back a couple days later (2 working days, I think), and they couldn't find them, but sold me a new set for the same quoted price. You might call them and see if they can find the dyno pipes.

They said they couldn't find them, they didn't say they sold them, so I bet they are still floating around their warehouse.

corndog67 screwed with this post 10-28-2012 at 11:47 AM
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #7939
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Garry,

When I was running aftermarket levers my interlock stopped working too. I never looked into fixing it with the stock magura MC, but suspected the new lever may have been the cause. If you'll recall I swapped to a new Brembo RCS MC last spring. When I did the swap I replaced the stock interlock wire using a banjo bolt with a built in pressure switch. Since then my interlock has worked. Thus I'm not sure if my problem was caused by the aftermarket lever or a bad wire. I would suggest re-installing the stock lever just to check if that resolves the issue. It's an easy swap provied you still have the stock lever. Doing so may point you in the right direction. If the lever doesn't fix the issue I'd pull the wire and clean the connectors. You'll need to remove the headlight mask to get to the hidden end, the lever end is fairly easy to unplug as I recall. Just trace the only wire coming from the clutch MC.

PM me if you need more details.

NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
Dumb question: my clutch interlock is F'd up or dirty as the bike won't start in gear. Can someone explain EXACTLY where it is and how to replace it or clean it? Details please.
nattyMo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #7940
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

I'm not saying the SM isn't good or can't be good off road, if that is what you want. Just saying many go the direction of getting a more off-road able model from the gun is all. I'm sure you've seen all manner of road bikes converted to hill climb bikes and other wild off road dune monsters. Nearly anything can be done, just a question of time and money. If you picked up a SM cheap then sure it's a better starting point then a CB750 or as yhou said many of the so-called ADV bikes folks are ridding down dirt roads.

Yes, I did mean that the 950/990 adventure forks have lugs for two disk calipers, to allow them to run dual disks vs. the single mount on the SE forks. Something to be aware of if you go to the trouble of changing forks, neither SE/Adv use radial mounted calipers so you'll have to figure on either new calipers and properly sized SE/Adv rotor/s or some sort of adaptor.

It's your money and bike. Please do with it as you wish and ejoy the hell out of it. I wouldn't give a thought to what anyone else thinks. Heck one guy in has gone and put a turbo on his SM, others set em' up to tour, others go the big dirtbike route, make yourself happy. That's the amazing thing about these KTM's you can do nearly anyhing with them.

Enjoy,
NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samppa2005 View Post
Yes those are all known and valid points but the question is will they prevent the SM from being good offroad?

Taking the SM offroad can be debated to no end. I'm just having a hard time understanding why people keep underestimating the SM offroad capabilities? I'm willing to say it's more dirt capable then some of the dual-sport/allroad/adventure bikes advertised as being able to do anything. Out of the bikes with 17" wheels i'd be willing to say it's the most capable. It's capable as is, ok with minor adjustments, good with more extensive modifications and maybe great by turning it into an SE?
Old 10-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #7941
corndog67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyMo View Post
I'm not saying the SM isn't good or can't be good off road, if that is what you want. Just saying many go the direction of getting a more off-road able model from the gun is all. I'm sure you've seen all manner of road bikes converted to hill climb bikes and other wild off road dune monsters. Nearly anything can be done, just a question of time and money. If you picked up a SM cheap then sure it's a better starting point then a CB750 or as yhou said many of the so-called ADV bikes folks are ridding down dirt roads.

Yes, I did mean that the 950/990 adventure forks have lugs for two disk calipers, to allow them to run dual disks vs. the single mount on the SE forks. Something to be aware of if you go to the trouble of changing forks, neither SE/Adv use radial mounted calipers so you'll have to figure on either new calipers and properly sized SE/Adv rotor/s or some sort of adaptor.

It's your money and bike. Please do with it as you wish and ejoy the hell out of it. I wouldn't give a thought to what anyone else thinks. Heck one guy in has gone and put a turbo on his SM, others set em' up to tour, others go the big dirtbike route, make yourself happy. That's the amazing thing about these KTM's you can do nearly anyhing with them.

Enjoy,
NM
And solid 3rd gear wheelies, too.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #7942
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
Check this out. When I first called them, a nice lady named Josie called me back and told me they had a set of used slip-ons off their dyno mule, for $186, In great shape. I called them back a couple days later (2 working days, I think), and they couldn't find them, but sold me a new set for the same quoted price. You might call them and see if they can find the dyno pipes.

They said they couldn't find them, they didn't say they sold them, so I bet they are still floating around their warehouse.

Thanks for the advice again man, will try to give them a shout again tomorrow.
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #7943
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyMo View Post
That's the amazing thing about these KTM's you can do nearly anyhing with them.

Enjoy,
NM

Some of us here have swapped tires and adjusted suspension to make the bikes better on pavement, while others have done the same to make them better on dirt. It really doesn't seem to require much change to get remarkable improvement either way. The cool thing is that the bike can still be ridden from one surface to the other without stopping and you can have a blast on either one depending on your mood.

Here's the other 3 videos taken on a gray day. Part 2 was posted earlier.

Part 1/4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwtmErM8Tcc

Part 3/4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFuBDnNiQCM

Part 4/4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKESFFgg1tI
Old 10-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #7944
doctor_big
It hurts when I fall down

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
And solid 3rd gear wheelies, too.
What is this 3rd gear wheelie of which you speak?

Jason
Old 10-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #7945
corndog67
Banned

I think it's listed under "Big Fun".
Old 10-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #7946
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,906
Quote:
Dumb question: my clutch interlock is F'd up or dirty as the bike won't start in gear. Can someone explain EXACTLY where it is and how to replace it or clean it? Details please.

Try this, it is what i was referring to when we spoke.

cpmodem: Here's a another option for any 950/990, including the ADV, SE and SM.
Ground the green-black wire at the connector for the gear selector switch (#2 in the photo below). Down in front of the rotor cover on the left side of the engine). This will allow the ECU to provide ignition to the coils no matter what gear you are in, whether the kickstand is up or down, and clutch in or out. This will eliminate any possibility of one or more of the "safety" devices malfunctioning and killing the ignition. It will also allow the starter to work anytime the button is pushed And your green neutral light will stay on always. But, as I said this is not for "casual" use, but rather for emergency situations only. Like as a quick and easy way to bypass a failed safety device when one craps out in the boonies and you just wanna get home.

Hope that works!
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #7947
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,087
Quote:
Cut it or unplug it, from the harness, at the clutch master end.
I just cut mine, right at the clutch master, when it failed in traffic.
Haven't been bothered since!!
(other than the several times I started it in gear and it drove itsself along, plowing rocks with its kick stand for a couple of feet before I got the clutch lever in...)
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:34 AM   #7948
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,863
Hurricane Sandy SMR!

Hope you're all doing well!

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #7949
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,087
Man, WiseB,
I knew we had a couple of fellas close to the wet zone and am glad to see you back in the dry! Thankful you are safe and able to come play!

This is from another thread:
East Village bike parking on Monday night...
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:33 PM   #7950
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Sandy

Check out the airial national guard surveys posted on YouTube of NJ shore, Connecticut and NY. Tons of $$$ property is gone, flooded or burned to the ground. I'm going to wager this storm damage will exceed Katrina. Massive damage from NC north. Hope you all faired well.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc....1.w9PjQZBYrsY

NM

nattyMo screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 07:46 PM