Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #8041
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppypyro View Post
Any of you guys have experience with the pirelli scorpion trails.
The Scorpion Trails are a good choice for what you have in mind. Their main shortcomings are sand and mud. They are much nicer on pavement than the TKCs at any speed and obviously better for pavement cornering. On dirt, the Scorpions do admirably well. I plan to switch back to them when I wear out the TKCs unless I get a 2nd wheel set. I love the TKCs when the going gets loose and more technical.

BuckMoto screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 09:00 PM Reason: can't spell
BuckMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #8042
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,296
[QUOTE=preppypyro;20162065]Hey guys n gals,

I put a set of the fat Conti Trail Attacks on my BMW for a trip noprth this past summer.

They were without a doubt, the worst tires I've used since the mid '70s.

Fair on pavement (they didn't want to turn and then they would fall into the turn).

Average in the wet.

Near useless on gravel. The Michelin Pilot Road 3s on the bike now were better in gravel.

The Scorpion Trails are a better choice.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #8043
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Bars

I recently posted this info over on KTM UK Forum. Pretty much covers your question.

The Driven carbon bars are offered in a variety of bends. I have their 'CR Low' bend, 65mm rise, as compared to my stock bar at 120mm of rise.

My stock bar is a Magura, branded as 'KTM'/ It measured as follows:
28.6mm clamp dia, 795mm Wide, 135mm clamp area, 192mm grip area, 120mm rise, 87mm sweep

Driven offer a carbon bar in their 'CR High' bend that is closer to the stock bend as follows.
28.6 clamp dia, 795mm wide, 205mm clamp area, 95mm rise, 57mm of sweep.

So with the Driven CR Low bend you loose 25mm in rise and 30mm in sweep, a fair difference to be sure. It's tough to find alternative bars that offer the same amount of rise and sweep as the stock bar.

You can view all Driven's options at:
Handle Bars - Control Products

LSL introduced a carbon bar for 2012 in two bends. They both offer a ton of sweep, something like 150mm, Both are quite low, the tallest offering only 70mm of rise.

Here's one source for the LSL carbon bar:
http://www.bellissimoto.com/LSLHandlebars.html

NM

QUOTE=Thumper996;20161343]Would you say the CR Low bend is lower than the stock bars? What about angle of hands between the stock and CR Low? btw the carbon coating looks pretty trick.[/QUOTE]
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #8044
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
You guys are kinda trapping yourselves into a couple different brands of hanebars, when in reality there are many, many more brands. ProTaper, Answer, Rental, just get a dirt bike magazine and check them out, probably at least 50 different bends for your viewing pleasure.
:
Just saying, don't limit your choices.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #8045
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,712
Tars

For dirt and gravel roads I think either the Scorps or Contis are fine. I have Contis on my 990A 19/17 setup and have had several sets of the Scorpions on the 950SM with no issues. Another choice is the Avon Distanza, which a lot of SM riders seem to use.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #8046
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

The problem I had with the Contis may be confined to the new 120/70 and 180/55 tires Walter, but it is definitely a problem.

USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
Old 12-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #8047
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Someone recomeded the mt-60 to me as well, but the mt-60 and the avon distenzia come in a max size of 160/60/17.

Will that size of a tire do ok on the SM rear rim? I posted in my orange crush thread that the difference is approx 3/4 of an inch narrower, and about half an inch difference in height. Im a former tire tech guy, and I know I can get the tire on the rim and get it to air up and physically fit, but I just dont want it to be to narrow where I might be going around a curve (im not an aggresive rider at all, I dont lean the bike over barely at all!)

Anyone have any input on that? I know the best tire for me would be a 70-30 or 60-40 pavement to gravel/offroad tire, I just didnt think that they made many that would work.

IF the 160/60/17 tire will work on our rear rim, well them Im golden, got a few I can choose from that I think would suit me a little better then the tkc's.
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:08 AM   #8048
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,310
I doubt you would get 1200 miles out of a set of MT-60's..I think I got 1400 to 1600 out of them on our 650 Motards..
Old 12-03-2012, 05:22 AM   #8049
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Not sure if those are the ones I would choose anyways, but the big question still, would they work on our stock 950 rear rims?
Old 12-03-2012, 05:24 AM   #8050
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Not sure if those are the ones I would choose anyways, but the big question still, would they work on our stock 950 rear rims?
Barely and not for long....
Old 12-03-2012, 06:46 AM   #8051
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
The problem I had with the Contis may be confined to the new 120/70 and 180/55 tires Walter, but it is definitely a problem.
That's why I said it was a 19/17 setup on the Adv. Tires do work differently in different sizes and profiles.

Re the MT60-- the mileage Khvol mentioned is about right-- I got similar mileage on my Duke, and I only used the MT60's in the winter (great cold weather/rain tire- used to be the rain tire of choice for 600cc production roadracers).
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:50 AM   #8052
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
Re ........ used to be the rain tire of choice for 600cc production roadracers).
I wondered about that, super soft tires..I hate to think how quickly a torquey 950 motor would run through a set of MT-60's.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #8053
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
Barely and not for long....
Like do you mean they would barely work, becuase that size of tire wouldnt fit on our rear rims? Or barely work because tehy wear out too fast?

I would def check out those avon distanzias if that size would work.

Maybe tenish years ago I worked as a tire tech, and ended up as a shop foreman of a goodyear dealer in a city I previously lived in. I always had to get narrow tires on wide ag rims for farmers that were too cheap to buy the proper sized tires. So like I say I can get the tire to fit on the rim no problem.

But Im a little worried about the tire maybe having a bit wrong of a profile once I got it on there.

Just need some solid clarification if anyone knows if that size (160/60/17) will fit our SM 950 rims?!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #8054
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Like do you mean they would barely work, becuase that size of tire wouldnt fit on our rear rims? But Im a little worried about the tire maybe having a bit wrong of a profile once I got it on there.

Just need some solid clarification if anyone knows if that size (160/60/17) will fit our SM 950 rims?!

Yep, would absolutely change the profile...the wider rim would stretch the tire out so much that it would widen and flatten the profile...IMHO.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #8055
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

When I asked an m/c tire tech about putting a 160 on the 5 1/2" rim on my SMR he said that it would both widen and flatten the tire and would move the chicken strips into a normal lean area - and bring the untreaded portion of the sidewall into the wear area. He also said that the sidewalls would eventually give way. His words, not mine, but didn't feel that it was worth the risk. It's been years (1973), but having the sidewall blow out makes for a spectacular wreck.

USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67