Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2008, 05:46 PM   #796
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Anyone Interested in Carbon fiber tail sections?

Would anyone be interested in parts for their SM or Duke. I'm thinking, front fenders, tail sections, dash piece, maybe with a higher screen for the sm, and possibly tanks. What would you pay for those pieces if they were high quality, made in the USA? Feedback is welcomed. Please mention any other parts you would like to see produced. If there is enough interest they will get made. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:25 AM   #797
snarf
WFO and clueless

Oddometer: 662
Personally, i'd be interested in different color choices for the bodywork. I've never been a fan of painting plastic bodywork, as it just feels like the redneck thing to do. but if no one makes anything other than orange, black or carbon, you dont have much choice, ya know?
Old 09-04-2008, 06:04 AM   #798
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Snarf:

I understand. Initially I think I'm going to stick with the standard carbon pieces. When I talk to the producer again I will ask about the feasability of doing different colors. Any particular color in mind?
Old 09-04-2008, 10:23 AM   #799
doctor_big
It hurts when I fall down

Oddometer: 695
I'm interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM
Would anyone be interested in parts for their SM or Duke. I'm thinking, front fenders, tail sections, dash piece, maybe with a higher screen for the sm, and possibly tanks. What would you pay for those pieces if they were high quality, made in the USA? Feedback is welcomed. Please mention any other parts you would like to see produced. If there is enough interest they will get made. Thanks.
I am interested in all of the above. However, I don't feel like I'm qualified to say what I'd pay. Provide a price and then I'll decide if it's worth it to me.

Hope that's ok,
Jason
doctor_big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #800
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Dr Big:

I am looking to price them to similar pricing to what is currently available in the market. I bought a front fender/splash guard from KTM Twins and it was about $200. the headlight mask they have is about $170, and other pieces range from $75 for clutch covers to over $300 for the rear fender/chain guard. The tail piece would be more expensive ($600-$1000 based on research I on parts being provided for other makes of bikes.) and the tanks would probably be the most expensive. I am trying to nail down the costs of doing several of the pieces not available right now and then expanding to other parts if there is sufficient interest. I asked here because I thought it would be a good indicator of what people would want. I asked what people had in mind for pricing to see if it is in the ballpark of the pricing I anticipate. I'll keep you upated as I get closer. I hope to get some prototype pieces done for my SM to start.

Thanks.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:24 PM   #801
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,623
All I need is a skid plate. Plastic is fine, just something to protect the oil lines and pipe.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should have gotten an Adventure instead.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:51 PM   #802
Maineroads
Ridgerunner

Oddometer: 831
Yeah, but if you had an Adv. you'd be having a blast on the road wondering how much more fun you'd be having on an Sm. Probably the best deal, if you do any amount off road, would be the Se with motard wheels. Hard to have one bike to do it all. I want a skid plate too. I may need to see if I can find someone local to fab one.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:27 PM   #803
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Yeah, you're probably right. All I know is I was haulin ass down this trail today, throttle open, ass over the rear fender, hitting holes and bumps, back end swapping side to side, and all the while the front feels like it just wants to tuck. I know it's because of the 17" front wheel, plus the street geometry (ie; not enough trail).

Oh well...I love my bike, don't get me wrong, but sometimes...I just wonder if an Adventure would have been the better choice. An SE is out...at 5'8" on a good day the SM is enough of a challenge! I've crashed this bike four times so far - at Zero MPH!
Old 09-07-2008, 05:40 PM   #804
Maineroads
Ridgerunner

I wonder if adding a stabilizer would help for the times off road? ADV/SM? I thought the same thing before buying the Sm (they had both on sale), but figured I'd rather have an adventure on the Sm.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:12 PM   #805
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

I hadn't considered that. A stabilizer is a good idea. know if there are any that aren't $700?

I think for the time being I'm gonna raise the front a little and take some preload out of the rear and hang on tight!
Old 09-08-2008, 07:01 AM   #806
Maineroads
Ridgerunner

Yeah, the price is high, but, you could swap it to the other bike when you decide to change to another ride.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:09 PM   #807
never2old4fun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer
Yeah, you're probably right. All I know is I was haulin ass down this trail today, throttle open, ass over the rear fender, hitting holes and bumps, back end swapping side to side, and all the while the front feels like it just wants to tuck. I know it's because of the 17" front wheel, plus the street geometry (ie; not enough trail).

Oh well...I love my bike, don't get me wrong, but sometimes...I just wonder if an Adventure would have been the better choice. An SE is out...at 5'8" on a good day the SM is enough of a challenge! I've crashed this bike four times so far - at Zero MPH!
Wouldn't a 19/17 wheel set up help with that??
never2old4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:51 AM   #808
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Yeah, it sure would. I would have to sell my stock wheels to pay for them, though.

Brents347, a member here, has done this but found his Adventure still worked better off road. No big surprise there, and the SM really is a street bike.

Guess I just need to either find somebody who wants to swap, or chill out off road.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:05 AM   #809
Maineroads
Ridgerunner

Try a swap. I'm sure somebody has an Adv or Se who has thought about it. Either that or get a second bike!
Old 09-10-2008, 12:54 PM   #810
Maineroads
Ridgerunner

New fender

I saw a cool fender for sale in the flea market but missed out on it. I decided to order one to see how it would look. I Needed to trim the length near the radiator and cut a notch for the brake line. I like it.

Maineroads screwed with this post 10-21-2008 at 10:13 AM
Maineroads is offline   Reply With Quote