Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #8101
Just Bob
Been There Done That

Oddometer: 257
I've got that same shield on my 950SM. Only use it when its really cold out. Otherwise it increases wind noise in my lid. No buffeting, I just prefer clean quiet air. The well nuts in the mask look normal with it off.

Just Bob screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 09:32 AM Reason: addition
Just Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:47 AM   #8102
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Merry Christmas!

Got out for a bit on 12/23 for a Pre-Christmas ride, stopped for some tea and snapped this Christmas pic,

Got a lovely custom progressive wound shock spring for Christmas via Moto-Pro suspension nice.

Enjoy the holiday!
NM
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:35 PM   #8103
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Happy New Year

Hope all you 950 / 990 owners had a good 2012 year and a better 2013 coming up
Thumper996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #8104
dobbs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Just finished reading this whole thread, took some time...

Anyway, I wanted to say thanks to everyone that has contributed, but also, regarding the sight glass tube:

Mine cracked after owning it for a couple of weeks. I replaced it with a section of yellow tygon fuel line and it is working perfectly, then again i've only been riding it for a few hundred miles. For what it's worth, I've used tygon for several areas of my air-cooled 2-stroke RD400 and it has worked for several years. No cracking, stretching or anything. I will report back as time goes on, I usually put 14K+ miles on my bike per year, but the first few months of this year I will be in a cast, so that number will be lower. This stuff is available at lawnmower and hobby stores, and at less than $1/ft it's worth a try, right?
dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #8105
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbs View Post

Anyway, I wanted to say thanks to everyone that has contributed, but also, regarding the sight glass tube:

Mine cracked after owning it for a couple of weeks. I replaced it with a section of yellow tygon fuel line and it is working perfectly, then again i've only been riding it for a few hundred miles. For what it's worth, I've used tygon for several areas of my air-cooled 2-stroke RD400 and it has worked for several years. No cracking, stretching or anything. I will report back as time goes on, I usually put 14K+ miles on my bike per year, but the first few months of this year I will be in a cast, so that number will be lower. This stuff is available at lawnmower and hobby stores, and at less than $1/ft it's worth a try, right?
It will work. That's pretty much what I run (rc car fuel line). Been trouble free for two years and maybe 10,000 miles
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #8106
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
I've noticed a couple of references to a fairing (or windscreen) for a 690 that also fits the 950 SM. Are they a worthwhile addition to the SM?

Oh yeah, and I hope everyone had a nice holiday and wish you all a successful 2013.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:13 AM   #8107
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
690 Screen

I didn't care for the 690 screen attached as intended to the headlight shell. I got too much wind in the helmet area. I re-installed it, raising it about 3", with a piece of an old screen and some aluminum braces. Works great for me. Wind blast is over my head now. I'm 6'.

FWIW
renogeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:24 AM   #8108
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
I've noticed a couple of references to a fairing (or windscreen) for a 690 that also fits the 950 SM. Are they a worthwhile addition to the SM?
Are you talking about this one?:

http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-690-endu...ing-windscreen

Installed:

Step by step of the install process:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerlbau...7631750978844/

Overall, I think it's OK. My goal was mainly to provide a place to mount an EZ-pass, but I think it cuts down on the wind a bit, without ruining the look of the bike. (One of my goals is to resist the urge to "sport-tour" the SMR by adding a bunch of junk to it. Keep it minimal. )

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:33 AM   #8109
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

I run the 690 screen on trips that include 80 plus miles of highway ridding, meaning I rarely use it. I don't find it to make a huge if any improvement below 65-70mph. At speed It does reduce buffeting for me, it's not like being on a touring bike. Worth the price? Sure. It does make long highway treks more enjoyable vs. just bearable.

Happy New Year all!

Here's an old pic of the screen,

NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post

Oh yeah, and I hope everyone had a nice holiday and wish you all a successful 2013.

nattyMo screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 09:44 AM
Old 01-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #8110
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Tank bag for sale

SOLD!

Posted this in the flea market:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852590

nattyMo screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 05:55 AM
Old 01-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #8111
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Thanks guys. For less than $80, it sounds like it's worth a try.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #8112
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,093
Happy New year gang!

Anyone thought of asking Baldy about changing up the orange crush into three categories, now that KTM 1190 Adventure is a long legged SM/T and has 19/17 wheels stock?

ADV/SE

SM/R/T

Of course, our thread would be stickied to maintain its headline in the SM category, for inspirational purposes.

Oh, Baldy, wha'cha got for us in 2013?

Integration or continued separation?!?
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #8113
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbs View Post

I tried replacing it with something similar when mine went and it went 1000 miles with zero issues, until i was on a trip and it failed. Then I thought, no problem I'll just put in another piece of it an it failed within 5 miles. I WOULD NOT USE ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE ACTUAL PART FOR THIS unless you get rid of the tube altogether. Trying to save the $11 they wanted for the part ended up costing me about a couple of hundred to get a temporary fix in place, not to mention the time it took away from my trip. I now carry a spare of the KTM part in my tool kit. Certain things are just not worth risking to save a little $$. Believe me, I have tried and it usually comes back to bite me in the ass. The original part has been upgraded and I have put over 20,000 miles on the replacement so far.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #8114
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
...Anyone thought of asking Baldy about changing up the orange crush into three categories, now that KTM 1190 Adventure is a long legged SM/T and has 19/17 wheels stock?
I can see (and would very much support) the 1190 getting its own category as it clearly is different from the 9x0s. And I can see it staying in Orange crush.

I believe the SM/R/T will stay in Road Warriors; and can understand why. Imo a bike with 17" wheels is a road bike at heart. That's why the MS12 (and Superduke for that matter) is here. There's a logical shared community of interest that, aside from engine interest, doesn't cross over to Orange Crush. And I don't recall anyone objecting to asking engine questions in OC.

Wheel size is a good determining factor- it's why GS's are where they are and the 17" road based twins are in RW. And why the other adventure bikes (SuperTens and V's, Capo, Triumphs, etc.) are in Beasts, while their sister bikes are in RW.

Anyway, I hope everyone had a great Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Winter Solstice, Boxing Day, Futurams Xmas, Festivus, and New Years Eve; and wish you all a great 2013.
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #8115
dobbs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
I tried replacing it with something similar when mine went and it went 1000 miles with zero issues, until i was on a trip and it failed. Then I thought, no problem I'll just put in another piece of it an it failed within 5 miles. I WOULD NOT USE ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE ACTUAL PART FOR THIS unless you get rid of the tube altogether. Trying to save the $11 they wanted for the part ended up costing me about a couple of hundred to get a temporary fix in place, not to mention the time it took away from my trip. I now carry a spare of the KTM part in my tool kit. Certain things are just not worth risking to save a little $$. Believe me, I have tried and it usually comes back to bite me in the ass. The original part has been upgraded and I have put over 20,000 miles on the replacement so far.

I hear what you're saying, but my suggestion is for yellow tygon fuel line, specifically, not "something similar." The suggestion is not to save a few bucks, but to use something that just might be better than the replacement part. Besides, if you carry a spare of the KTM part anyway, what's the difference? Buy $1 worth of tygon and carry 3 spares.

Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes.
dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote