Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #8116
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
I can see (and would very much support) the 1190 getting its own category as it clearly is different from the 9x0s. And I can see it staying in Orange crush.

I believe the SM/R/T will stay in Road Warriors; and can understand why. Imo a bike with 17" wheels is a road bike at heart. That's why the MS12 (and Superduke for that matter) is here. There's a logical shared community of interest that, aside from engine interest, doesn't cross over to Orange Crush. And I don't recall anyone objecting to asking engine questions in OC.

Wheel size is a good determining factor- it's why GS's are where they are and the 17" road based twins are in RW. And why the other adventure bikes (SuperTens and V's, Capo, Triumphs, etc.) are in Beasts, while their sister bikes are in RW.

Anyway, I hope everyone had a great Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Winter Solstice, Boxing Day, Futurams Xmas, Festivus, and New Years Eve; and wish you all a great 2013.

Yes, yes, you are right and logical, of course!

I just like to blur the lines as much as possible, in case noone noticed...
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #8117
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
I can see (and would very much support) the 1190 getting its own category as it clearly is different from the 9x0s. And I can see it staying in Orange crush.

I believe the SM/R/T will stay in Road Warriors; and can understand why. Imo a bike with 17" wheels is a road bike at heart. That's why the MS12 (and Superduke for that matter) is here. There's a logical shared community of interest that, aside from engine interest, doesn't cross over to Orange Crush. And I don't recall anyone objecting to asking engine questions in OC.

Wheel size is a good determining factor- it's why GS's are where they are and the 17" road based twins are in RW. And why the other adventure bikes (SuperTens and V's, Capo, Triumphs, etc.) are in Beasts, while their sister bikes are in RW.
IMHO there is a little too much SE / Adv in the "950 SM Chronicles" . When i first got my SM i made the mistake of posting in the Orange Crush world and quickly got informed i didn't belong there. I guess the road warriors are much more forgiving than OC.
Thumper996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #8118
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Ive posted a few things in orange crush before. Definately dont get the answers as if you own a super enduro, but it seems like when ya ask engine questions guys seem to not mind answering.

Id like a SE as much as anyone, but some of those guys take their like and owning to that bike to a silly adolescent level.

Oh well alot more love here anyways!
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #8119
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,000
950 SMR Pr0n

Just a couple pics from yesterday...

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:34 AM   #8120
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper996 View Post
IMHO there is a little too much SE / Adv in the "950 SM Chronicles" . When i first got my SM i made the mistake of posting in the Orange Crush world and quickly got informed i didn't belong there. I guess the road warriors are much more forgiving than OC.
That is the balance to my call for inclusion with the dust bikes...Well played!

The truth is that I do occasionally contaminate an otherwise alloyed conversation.

More of those sweet pics wiseblood! I miss goodcat8's urban SM pics and yours are filling the bill nicely. I have only naturally cobbled roads in these parts...
Old 01-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #8121
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,163
??

Nothing against BMWs but 3 Different BMW sub forums. A single 542 page THREAD "Super Moto Chronicles" with over 1.1 million views. Moderators adamantly refuse to allow SM discussion in Orange Crush because the SM is not "dirt" or "Adventure" enough Just a little "splitting hairs" with the SE allowed in Orange Crush and SM (same frame, same motor, but 17" wheels is not allowed". So if you want to post something about your SM engine, carbs, etc. you are not allowed to post in Orange Crush where multiple threads are there to make searching and finding what you want easier. Your options--add to the 501 page thread in Road Warriors or start a new Road Warrior thread where it will rarely be seen by those interested in KTM LC8 motors and related issues.

Adventure Rider is a GREAT site. And this should not be about BMW vs KTM. But I still don't see how the moderator's "managing" of the forums available to KTM owners is fair, efficient or helpful.

FWIW.
renogeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #8122
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 990adventuredes View Post
ktm 990 lc8 adventure 2006
i was getting the clang on start up more and more this year so i drained the oil (just the bottom drain plug will do) pulled off the left hand cover,(if you are carefull you can use same gasket) lifted out the torque limiter which is two cogs held together by a spring washer,,had it spot welded and reassembled,,backon the road in 5 hours including going to the welder,,i got the idea from ,,http://www.superduke.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12767 and its easy and cheaper than the replacment kit,,i took photos but cant seem to upload them here,the photos on the superduke link explain it well
good luck

I read this post and the thread linked in it. It is relevant to our thread so I thought I would Quote it over!

Very interesting field repair for starter torque limiters on the 05-06 bikes.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #8123
mrdirtbikerider
Husaberg rider

Oddometer: 266
Question Rottweiler air filter

Has anyone tried the Rottweiler air filters?
Old 01-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #8124
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Great pics wild blood.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #8125
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,068
Great little tool alert

I did a full brake service on the SM today. This makes brake flushing/bleeding a neat breeze.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/..._mini_bleeder/

Comes in 8 (our size), 10, and 11 mm.

Unfortunately there's no 9mm which is the size that KTM clutch slaves use.

Not that KTM slaves ever need attention lol
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #8126
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Im going to be buying an Oberon slave cylinder for my bike pretty soon, and I was just wondering what the general thought is whether or not to buy the optional metal mounting plate or not.
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:43 AM   #8127
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
I did a full brake service on the SM today. This makes brake flushing/bleeding a neat breeze.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/..._mini_bleeder/

Comes in 8 (our size), 10, and 11 mm.

Unfortunately there's no 9mm which is the size that KTM clutch slaves use.

Not that KTM slaves ever need attention lol
i was going to say get a speed bleeder but looks like no 9mm. I fit one of these with the evoluzione and it made it incredibly simple to deal with

speed bleeder sizes http://speedbleeder.com/size.htm
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #8128
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
i was going to say get a speed bleeder but looks like no 9mm. I fit one of these with the evoluzione and it made it incredibly simple to deal with

speed bleeder sizes http://speedbleeder.com/size.htm

Has anyone installed Speedbleeders on the brake calipers? I'm unclear if there is a fitment which works for the 950 SMR:

8mm sizes:
P/N, Thread, Length
SB8100 # M8 X 1.0 1.28, (35.54)
SB8125# M8 X 1.25 1.10, (27.99)
SB8125L # M8 X 1.25 1.28, (32.54)
SB8125LL M8 X 1.25 1.50, (38.09)

Failing that, I see an insanely expensive orange version on ktmtwins.com:

http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-hollow-brake-bleeder-screw

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #8129
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppypyro View Post
Im going to be buying an Oberon slave cylinder for my bike pretty soon, and I was just wondering what the general thought is whether or not to buy the optional metal mounting plate or not.
Yes, get the backing plate. i did not and soon after replacment experienced a catastrophic failure of my clutch while on a trip. I have a feeling it would not have happened if I had also swapped out the backer. The old plastic backer was causing the slave to bind apparently.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:03 AM   #8130
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,479
Quote:

Anyway, I hope everyone had a great Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Winter Solstice, Boxing Day, Futurams Xmas, Festivus, and New Years Eve; and wish you all a great 2013.
Happy new year bro's. You make a good point . . . However, since most Adventure bikes are ridden mainly on the road . . . and not ridden on single trails due to their weight . . . . Many manufacture's are putting 17" wheels on Adventure type bikes.

Examples: Buel Uly, Ducati Multistrada, & Versys . . . which do fine on forrest service roads etc.

Plus, you can add spokes to the SM for off road riding:

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is online now   Reply With Quote